Chainsaw

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Implemented
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: old

Just purchased both the mower and the trimmer.  I'm very happy with both.  The mower is extremely powerful, and the 30-minute charger is awesome.  Both products are easily superior to gas motors. Are there any plans for a chainsaw using the same power system? I'd love to have one!
Photo of soigneky

soigneky

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • satisfied with my purchase.

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Stan

Stan

• 1,674 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I have just purchased the mower and string trimmer 2 days ago and would also be very interested in purchasing a chainsaw using EGO's 56V lithium-ion batteries.
Stan Fayfar
Photo of Rita Campbell

Rita Campbell

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Agreed.  A lithium-battery driven chainsaw would be a great complement. As well, consider offering an aftermarket retrofit for a self-propelled installation. I have 4 hills and though quite fit, an assist would diminish the level of jeopardy as well as the physical challenge when I have to face those challenges, especially mid-summer.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We have changed your question into an idea for future consideration. What a great idea for a chain saw!  We choose to launch our line with just the lawn mower, string trimmer, hedge trimmer and blower.  However, we absolutely have a lot of tools on the horizon for the future.  We encourage you to sign up for our newsletter on egopowerplus.com.  From there, you'll be updated on all of our latest sales and new tool releases.

Photo of Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson

• 644 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I agree.  I presently have an electric corded chainsaw that I use for routine maintenance around the yard (with a very heavy-gauge 100 foot extension cord).  But certainly a battery powered chain saw makes the most sense in an emergency.  

My part of California doesn't have hurricanes or tornadoes, but we do have earthquakes which also trips out the electricity.  So things falling down may need a battery powered chainsaw to cut up.  And it would certainly make yard maintenance much easier than my corded unit.
Photo of Rita Campbell

Rita Campbell

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
In an emergency w/o electricity, we need a solar panel or solar generator to support the chargers.

Would be great to have a charging platform for the variety of batteries on the market.  I already have too many chargers for lithium batteries cluttering my already limited storage.  An electronics manufacturer would be smart to develop a charging system similar to the single panel solution that charges cell phone peripherals and small devices.

In addition to a chainsaw, I ask R+D at EGO to consider a hybrid power source such as a small solar panel coupled with kinetic source such as wind possibly tied to a separate lithium battery to drive a retrofit self propel unit that can be installed by the consumer or an authorized dealer. 

As compared to other cordless lawnmowers on the market, the EGO is the heaviest and, though I am 60, none of the homeowner target market is getting any younger.  And, with so much on the plate, by the time I get to the lawn, I am already beat to smithereens.

So my hills, not only get trickier with annual soil shifts, but I will increasingly need help to maneuver the mower, especially for several steep pitches unsuitable for riding mowers.  That's one gas mower feature that I truly miss. 

Mowing close to one acre with hills in the heat will be a real soaker come mid summer, especially since I have to take a running start to push that baby into position to mow horizontally. 
Photo of Stan

Stan

• 1,674 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Rita, I'm in a similar situation with hills on my property and we're all getting older.  I really like your idea about a solar/wind powered charging station.  I would also ask EGO to consider taking their Green initiative one step further and developing a hybrid charging station.  It only makes sense!
Stan
Photo of Dalmightyone

Dalmightyone

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
A pole saw would be awesome.  Kobalt, who is probably closest competition, has the pole saw in their series.   http://www.lowes.com/pd_506891-95404-KPS+80-06_4294612755__?productId=50154346&Ns=p_product_qty_...  

When do you see additional products coming?

Official Response
We're pleased to officially announce that we will be adding a 14" chainsaw to our EGO Power+ line up.  It will be in stores in the early Fall of THIS YEAR!  It will come with the 2.0 Ah Battery and a Standard Charger included for $299 (US) available exclusively at The Home Depot.  It will also be available online on HomeDepot.com. 
(Edited)
Photo of soigneky

soigneky

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Fantastic! Any chance you'll need test marketers?? Hint, hint...
Photo of Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson

Me too.   If you need an early test marketer, I have 22 trees around my home; several of which need trimming. And I'd gladly make some YouTube videos.    So feel free to put it in a box and mail it to me...

:-)

Scott

Wish we could send you all some chainsaws but alas, that's not how it works for now.  Never hurts to try though!
Photo of ed

ed

• 60 Points
will you also sell the chainsaw as a bare tool for folks who already have a battery?
Photo of Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson

I would suspect so.  Ego already sells the bare tool for the blower, so I would suspect that it will work the same way for the other tools.   Everybody recognizes that we don't need 6 batteries if we have 6 tools.  Plus it makes the effective cost of the tools cheaper (which makes us happy), and locks we users into a particular line of products (which makes Ego happy).

I had been considering the Kobalt line (Lowes) since it is more complete line until Ego announced the chainsaw (Home Depot).  So now I'll be a happy Ego user and get the various tools once the chainsaw is actually available.

At this point, all of my battery shop tools are DeWalt since I've been very happy with the DeWalt batteries.  All of my outside tools will be Ego assuming the battery holds up as expected.

Scott

(Edited)

Good guess Scott!  Yes, the chainsaw will also be available as a bare tool on HomeDepot.com for $199 (US).
Photo of Bobby

Bobby

• 60 Points
Any information on the EGO chainsaw chain speed?
Photo of Nick

Nick

• 70 Points

Ego 14" Brushless Chainsaw at home depot $299 with battery.

Ryobi 14" Brushless Chainsaw at home depot $199 with battery.

Help me understand the logic of these to products sitting right beside each other at home depot...

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,638 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

The only things I notice are comments about the bar and chain.  They do not mention the rotational speed.  I will tell you that the difference in power between 40V and 56V is quite noticeable.  The EGO uses the Oregon bar, big plus.  The Ryobi's are notorious for being big oil leakers.  All chainsaws leak bar oil, but not like those things.  I am excited about the EGO and it looks very well thought out.  The company is starting to get the idea that people will pay for quality and convenience.  Just don't ever go cheap on engineering or manufacturing of the product. 

Keep up the good work, can't wait to have this thing.  I have a large yard that is needing some tree pruning.

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The description on homedepots website says 6300 rpm. Isnt that insanely fast? Considering most motors run at 3600 rpm.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 96 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Will the chain saw work with the 4Ah battery as well?

Yes, Gary, absolutely!  All EGO Power+ batteries are interchangeable in all of the EGO Power+ tools.
Photo of Doug

Doug

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Any plans in the works for a Pole saw?  I'd love to have one that would work with the EGO batteries I already have.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.