chainsaw chain coming off freqently

• Problem
  • Updated 7 days ago
I have a new 16 inch saw. I've been fairly impressed with it mostly from a power and quietness standpoint. I have 3 other EGO tools and love them so I took a chance on a saw. I think this is a good first effort. I'm not a chain saw newb so I don't believe I'm using it incorrectly. I'm maintaining good tension on the chain, oiler is working and sharpening as needed. I'm finding that the chain comes off far more than it should especially when cutting with the tip of the saw.. something I've done a lot of with Stihl saws and rarely lost the chain.

Anybody else have this issue and perhaps a resolution?

Thanks,

Ron
Photo of Ron Fisher

Ron Fisher

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 12,256 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Ron, I'm no chainsaw expert by any means, but thought you shouldn't cut with the tip for safety and other reasons. I've use Remington 10" electric, Stihl gas pole saw, Black and Decker cordless Alligator Lopper, EGO 10" pole saw attachment and have never had a chain come out. Are you trying to force a cut by pressing down or allowing the saw to do the work?
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 694 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm no expert either but have been using gas saws infrequently for a long time. Not that many things it could be. I don't find the EGO toolfree big green knob used to secure chain tension is all that secure. I have to crank the snot out of it. I'd rather have the old fashioned nutted bolts. Otherwise maybe the bar got bent a bit in a jam, or the chain has kink a doesn't rotate freely at each link. I'd check bar flatness and a new chain myself. And crank the big green knob securely!
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 694 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
And oh yeah, I would never cut with the tip! Notorious for creating kickback and is very dangerous. Consumer saws have chains that help reduce that effect, but I would not cut that way.
(Edited)
Photo of Ron Fisher

Ron Fisher

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks
I cut with the tip area when limbing a tree. This is not and uncommon thing and yes you have to be careful . That said this chain comes off far more frequently than other saws Ive used. I’ll try hammering on the silly tightener more.