chainsaw chain comes off every five minutes

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Solved
It's brand new, I was able to use it the first time for about 2 hours before the chain popped off. Now a week later, the chain only stays on for a short period of time. Can I use this chainsaw in the wet, on wet wood? It has oil, and I have the chain tensioned. But maybe too tight?
Photo of John McDonald

John McDonald

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brave416

Brave416

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Mine will only cut one tree or limb and sometimes will not finish that limb or tree. Impossible to do any work. Tightened it loose and tight but it always comes off at the back on the little power rotor. Tried different angles for the chain and that does not work either. Flaw in the design of the back rotor so no way to keep the chain on.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,780 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Call ego. They will fix it. Seems odd. Thin kerf blades cannot take as much side force so if your not cutting straight then problems can happen. Make sure your keeping the bar from bowing like a bow (hence bowing)
Photo of LoneWolf04

LoneWolf04

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm having the same issue. Not sure if maybe the chain tension is backing off? I can't say I'm too thrilled with the plastic tensioner that holds the bar in place or the fact it only gets fastened with a large plastic knob. I know they promote tool less but most saws there are nuts you have to tighten to hold this fastener in place.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,582 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Pretty much every single time I've thrown a chain is because it was too loose.  I was probably also torquing/twisting the bar, which is not proper technique.  An overly tightened chain will just add more stress and wear to the bar, chain and sprockets; as well as waste precious energy.

Since electric CS (chainsaws) have 0.043" vs. 0.050" (or larger 0.063") chains, it is not unreasonable that the chain will stretch sooner, therefore, checking and adjusting chain tension is more important on the narrower kerf chain systems.  With the narrow chain comes the narrow bar, which is going to be easier to twist/bend; which makes proper chainsaw technique important as well.

When comparing gas and electric, you are gaining all the benefits (no pre-mix, less noise, etc.) but there is an associated cost (check adjust chain more frequently, pay more attention to operator technique, etc). 
Photo of John McDonald

John McDonald

I haven't replied since my first post on this thread. Dry weather did the trick and I was able to finish the job flawlessly. I also noticed that it doesn't like small branches in the way when you are trying to cut a main branch. And like the above poster, technique is important too. I'll keep it around- I was the only one on my street that didn't call a tree service to clear fallen trees last winter; I had me a chain saw and a u-haul :) As soon as it dried out, that is...
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,654 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I wish I have the opportunity to buy a chainsaw, but in my area with barely any big trees, this would be an "overkill."  That said; with the new "multi-head" tool and the Pole Saw attachment, now that might be the one to get ....
(Edited)
Photo of kirk

kirk

• 62 Points
The first time I used my 16" saw the chain came off ,when I went to put it on I noticed the keeper washer was missing on the sprocket. I just called to see if they're going to send me a new one, no answer so I left my name number and a message.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

• 6,308 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
David, I have a 14 inch (screwed up and bought a chain saw...not knowing for 50 extra bucks I could get the 16 inch which I don't need but a 5 aH battery instead of the a 2.0...dummy) and it is my absolute favorite Ego tool.  I don't have much call for it but what a wonderful saw. I actually love using it.  Quiet, no vibration, light, and chews through hardwood like its butter.  
Kirk, I am sure that they will take care of you.  

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,452 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

got a picture?  is that the one under the "E"/"C"-clip?

(Edited)
Photo of LoneWolf04

LoneWolf04

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Curious as well. I don't remember a keeper on the sprocket. I may have to pull the manual and look into it closer.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I may have to call CS myself. I've used the saw for maybe ten cuts and I was cutting down the stump for an 8" diameter blue spruce yesterday and the chain came off. I've been using chainsaws sparingly for 20 years and never had this happen. Took me 10-15 minutes to get the chain untangled. When I got it back on I noticed the tension setting was maxed out and the chain was at the correct tension. Hope this thing doesn't eat chains this quickly.

Mike

(a)Typical Engineer

It's possible that when a chainsaw throws a chain, depending on how it gets tangled, there is a chance you could have stretched only one section of the chain.  The way to check this is to mark the chain (with a marker), and then move the chain, and check tension, and do that all the way around.  If the chain is either very tight or loose in one spot, that is the stretched area.  If you get all the way around and the tension is even, then you chain has stretched uniformly.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Even more reason for me to call CS. If this chainsaw is prone to throwing chains and it needs replacement once this happens this could get expensive.

(a)Typical Engineer

The main reason a chainsaw will throw a chain is because the operator did one of two things: 1) did not adjust the chain tension properly (mostly too loose), or 2) used improper technique, especially on the thinner 0.043" bar/chain, which is more susceptible to bar deflection.

Just like any power too, improper technique and poor maintenance will lead to premature failure.  The micro-lite (0.043") bar/chain has been fairly reliable when used correctly in my experience.
Photo of Brave416

Brave416

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This chain saw will not cut a 4 inch privet tree without the chain coming off 2-3 times. I wish that I had never bought this thing. It is a headache to use. Chain needs to stay on the chain saw. Worst chain coming off that I have ever experienced. I feel I am due a refund for this because it is terrible to use.

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,512 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Recommend you give Ego tech support a call to work through your issue:

For all Customer Service requests, please dial 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656). Agents are available 8:30am – 8:00pm EST (Monday – Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday and Sunday).
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Your experience isn't typical of those posted here by other people who own this chain saw. I suspect there is either a problem with your chain saw or the chain is poorly adjusted. As (a)TE suggested, call customer service and let them help you trouble-shoot your problem.
Photo of bettybartos .

bettybartos .

• 60 Points
I have the same experience. I'm trying to cut up a couple of big downed pines that are not old and dried out. The chain comes off on every cut when I get to the bottom of the cut, it lifts the top of the chain as it exits and pops it right off, even though I've now tightened it as tight as I can, since putting it on as in the instructions doesn't work at all. It's brand new, made a dozen cuts then this started. Like he said, it's 10 minutes of down time for every 5 minutes of cutting. WAY annoying. And no, I'm not cutting sideways or bending the blade, the tree is horizontal.
Photo of John McDonald

John McDonald

Maybe try a replacement chain? They aren't that expensive. 
Photo of Peter Millard

Peter Millard

• 60 Points
My new Ego chainsaw has the same problem. I replaced both bar and chain, and still the same problem. I have it set tight, but not too tight. 
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,370 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
what are u cutting when it comes off?  I have the 14" CS and never have trouble with the chain comming off.  The trouble I have is it is underpowered with the 2.5 battery so i have to use the 7.5 (i don't have any batteries in between those 2)