Chain Tension 16" bar/ chainsaw56 volt

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
My chain frequently comes off when cutting sideways, am I not tightening the tension or cover tight enough? The wheel seems not to give enough tension?
Photo of harold

harold

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Harold,

For reference, here are the instructions regarding chain tension adjustment from page 38 & 39 of the 16" chainsaw manual:

The only thing I can offer if you've already tried everything there would be to try marking the tension adjustment wheel after you set it and tighten everything up.  This way you'll be able to tell if the adjustment is backing off while you're using it.

If you mark it and it does not seem to be moving after being set, the only things I could see contributing to a loose chain would be chain stretch and/or bar wear.  There is a note on page 39 regarding a new chain stretching, and requiring more frequent adjustment than a chain that's been used for a while.

If you look into it further let us know what you find out.
(Edited)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Harold, please let us know if the instructions Blue provided helped or if you are still in need of some support.  We're here to help!
Photo of R.W. Walker

R.W. Walker

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
the information re tensioning is different in the video from what's in the manual

no matter what I try, the chain instantly jumps the bar when triggered

I have used chainsaws for 40 years so I kinda know what I'm doing

purchase was less than a month ago and I'm under warranty

if this can't be fixed I want a replacement or my money back
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Have you checked the chain for bent or broken links? If the chain is ok then there must be an issue with either chain tension or alignment. Have you removed the bar to check for debris that could interfere with the bar?

You have 90 days to exchange it at Home Depot should you not be able to fix it.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We're sorry you've had a disappointing experience with your chain saw so far, RW. We want to help! Please call our support team at 1-855-346-5656. If you encounter any wait, just select the voicemail or request a call back option, and we'll reach out to you directly. 
Photo of R.W. Walker

R.W. Walker

when the chain is not attached, should the drive sprocket turn freely? My drive sprocket does not--when i turn it manually, it only advances in increments--that is, it makes an approx. 1/4 turn, and then settles into a stopping point, from which it takes an extra effort to turn it again, and then the same thing happens. I would speculate that because of this, the chain is not driven smoothly, as the torque required to get past those "bumps" would have to increase, compared to when the chain is driven without any impediments. In this scenario, the chain would be immediately thrown off of the bar. more possible evidence for this--when the chain is tensioned such that there is the proper degree of slack, it's very difficult to advance the chain manually in a completely smooth fashion--there's a "start and stop" feel to it. I have inspected the chain as well as I can using the naked eye, and I note no gross defects. Same goes for the bar--it appears to be straight, but I suppose that the slightest of deviations might also be responsible for throwing the chain. Everything is properly lubricated (but I'll mention here that the window through which the bar oil level is ostensibly to be seen is opaque, and is thus of no use). Today I'm in receipt of a copy of an email sent to Ego from Home Depot, strongly urging that Ego provide training for Home Depot employees in order that they could successfully deal with Ego product issues in-store, and thus hands-on. It's starting to get chilly around these parts and I need to be cutting firewood much sooner than later. Please give your immediate consideration to resolving this problem.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
An electric chain saw is going to have a different feel from a gas one, because the gas saw has a clutch, and when the motor isn't running and you move the chain, you're not moving the motor; but with an electric it is direct drive, so you're feeling the magnets.  I've used three different electric chain saws and all have a feeling of resistance when you move the chain on the bar (Echo 58V, Kobalt 80V and Ego 56V). 

How about a different test, with the bar removed from the saw, does the chain move around freely; this should be exactly the same feel between a gas and electric since now we've eliminated the difference motor feels from the test?

(a)Typical Engineer

Did you also try flipping the bar over to see if that makes any difference?
Photo of R.W. Walker

R.W. Walker

I've owned gas chain saws since 1978 and am quite familiar with how they feel--and I did notice that the Ego saw took a second before the drive engaged. Per your comment above, did you mean to say "with the bar removed, does the drive sprocket appear to move freely?" and is the feel like that of a gas saw? Because of course, I can't test the motion of the chain without it being on the bar, unless I somehow misunderstand you. I have cleaned the chain groove thoroughly but have not yet tried flipping the bar, which I'll do today.

A couple of discrepancies: why is the bar oil window opaque? does it have a film that should be scraped off? Also, the chain doesn't have the little directional arrows stamped on the cutters? Could this mean it isn't the right chain?

(a)Typical Engineer

With the bar/chain combo removed from the saw, if you move the chain on the bar, does it feel like gas saws you've owned?
Photo of Steve McPike

Steve McPike

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Chain coming off, is it really a common problem with chainsaws?.

I have an EGO self-propelled mower and love it. I would love to buy an electric chainsaw but I see many reviews on Amazon with customers number one complaint that the chain comes off way too easy. Is this really that common or are experienced chain saw users that post these reviews not doing something right. I’m considering buying from Home Depot so I get to test drive the saw for 90 days but if this really occurs that often I don’t want to waste everyone’s time by returning a saw.