chain saw leaking oil

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
My 14" Ego saw constantly leaks oil. Is there a problem with this unit or an adjustment I need to make. The saw is 1 year old and has only been used a handful of times. Cuts great but leaks oil.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The only adjustment you will have to make is putting the Chainsaw on a drip pan. It is completely normal and it’s good that oil is moving freely to the chain.
Photo of Mark Grossmith

Mark Grossmith

• 72 Points
It seems the line is not actually connected to anything.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
There have been a few reports of excessively leaky saws.  About the only thing you can try is to see if leaving the oil reservoir less filled changes the leak rate.  I have a pole saw that leaks, and since I don't use it that often, I drain the tank.

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
mine leaks a ton of oil.  It leaks for weeks after each use.  I have a "diaper" made of numerous paper towels, sitting in a plastic tray to keep the CS from making an unholy mess in my shed.
Photo of sand gone

sand gone

• 60 Points
I'm on the fence here. My chain saw is leaking pretty excessively. Every other chainsaw I've ever seen has a oil feed adjuster. This ego one how ever does not look like it has one at all. It also looks like it's leaking from the middle of the shell.
Photo of Mark Grossmith

Mark Grossmith

• 72 Points
Mine leaks an insane amount too. Practically brand new (less that 2hrs of use). It appears the line running from the reservoir goes into(a pump?) but is not connected to the part where it feeds the bar.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,132 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Mark, if you haven't already, please give us a call (1-855-346-5656). We'd love to help resolve this!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,636 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
so what was the resolution on the hose going nowhere?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How to reduce oil output on 14" chainsaw?.

Has anyone figured out a way to reduce the amount of oil?  It's making an unholy mess and is way more oil than needed for proper chain lubrication.
Photo of GarryK

GarryK

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Inspect the oil fill cap and clean and reposition the rubber seal inside the cap.. It only fits one way. If it is clean and installed corretly and the threads are clean, your leak should disappear.
Photo of John Sherry

John Sherry

• 106 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Ridiculous, uninformed suggestion. Must be a government employee of some type. His saw is not leaking from the top of the fill tube!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,818 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We try and keep it positive here John.  Disagreements are welcome, but no need for insults.
Photo of SLOJES

SLOJES

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Sorry for the attacking tone of my comment. Having the same oil leaking problem I was hoping to find an answer here. Gary K's answer just seemed so naive (the oil leak is from the bottom of the machine not the top of the fill tube) that it set me off.  .
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It also might be helpful if you post from only one account to avoid confusion in ongoing discussions.
Photo of SLOJES

SLOJES

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Yeah, I was unaware that when I logged in it was to a different account. My bad.
Photo of mike

mike

• 1,036 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Maybe using a thicker oil? Stihl has light cold temps, medium for medium temps and heavy for hot temps.
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

• 1,874 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thicker oil will have to be suggested by the manufacturer, not here.
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

This has gotten out of hand. I just used the pole saw a couple times last year, stored it vertical (cap was on top), had the oil cap on real tight, and yet it leaked like crazy all winter (in any position) and now I noticed all the oil drained out and I cannot even use it without refilling oil (to have it again leaking all over the garage ??)

I find it incredulous that this could be a response from a Champ "The only adjustment you will have to make is putting the Chainsaw on a drip pan. It is completely normal and it’s good that oil is moving freely to the chain."

Really ?? So all the people with oil-based appliances have to place their equipment on drip pans ??
So why dont we place our cars and gas saws on a giant drip pan ??

It is one thing for mods here to defend the equipment (I love EGO, dont take me wrong) but another to treat customers as if we are all stupid.

This looks like a basic design flaw to me that needs to be addressed.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,068 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I'm in agreement.  The tool needs to lubricate its chain, not everything else around it.  Maybe EGO should talk to Stihl, so just after I post this, I'll post something from Stihl here.

Also, if you get to know SCDC, he doesn't just treat people like they're stupid, he's just a guy that likes it on the forum and he likes EGO.  At least, that's the vibe I'm getting from him.  The bar is supposed to have oil on it, and it is supposed to be kept lubricated while the tool is running, it makes sense to me that the bar might have enough oil to drip a small bit off, but I doubt SCDC knows (until he reads your post) that your pole saw emptied a tank of oil on your floor over the winter.  When he sees that, my money's on the idea that he'll think something's wrong just like you do.
(Edited)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I hope that helps, I do not know how the EGO saw is configured compared to the Stihl, but this might help.

This is taken from the Stihl chainsaw FAQ page: 

"Why does my saw leak bar oil?"

The way our units lubricate a chain, most of the oil is distributed around the inside of the bar rails as it is circulated by the oil reservoirs in each drive link of the chain. The amount of oil being circulated inside the bar at any given time can be between .3 and .5 oz. As a general rule of physics, the oil will be pulled down by gravity once the chain stops turning, collecting at the bottom of the bar and seeping through the chain to puddle underneath the bar & chain assembly as well as under the drive sprocket. The fact that it appears to be continuing to seep after the unit is cut off for several days is owed to the viscosity of the oil and the anti-flinging compound (lithium) mixed with the oil at the refinery. These factors give the oil a very thick consistency, which in turn explains a slower flow rate. This condition is deemed to be normal for any chainsaw with a similar bar & chain lubricating system.

If the unit continues to seep oil after a few days, the problem may be the vacuum relief valve located in the side of the engine housing between the oil output hole and the bar stud(s). This valve has an internal spring and ball type arrangement with the ball pressed against the vent hole of the casing of the valve, when the tank develops a vacuum from the normal process of the oil being pumped out. The ball is pulled away from the hole, allowing air to enter into the tank and break the vacuum so that oil can continue to flow to the bar and chain assembly. Once the vacuum is relieved, the spring pushes the ball back against the hole of the valve casing. Sometimes debris may become trapped between the ball and the hole. This would cause the oil to keep "weeping" because there must be some measure of vacuum in the tank to keep the oil from flowing freely once the unit is shut down. More often than not, all one needs to do is to take a small pin or needle and push it into the hole of the valve (identifiable as a small silver disk with a small hole in the center) about 6 or 7 times to loosen the debris. This should re-seal the orifice and keep the oil from seeping from the output hole when the saw is stored.
(Edited)
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

Oil leaking from the chain is fine - as it could be residual, but in this case we can see it clearly leaking from the oil reservoir. I will look for that valve and poke the heck out of it if I do:0 Thanks !
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

Couldn't detect any valve :( Is there a correct position we are supposed to keep the chain saw in ? With my old chains saw I had no issues, with this I tried every position with cap tightly closed and still there were leaks
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

This makes me really wish I had that saw so I could see it myself.  It does sound like you've got a problem, though.  The bigger problem is that EGO hasn't been talked into the idea that there actually is a problem to my knowledge.  You might want to start a new thread about this.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I was curious since my pole saw has been stored upright all winter, so I checked it out:

The tank is still full, but it did leak a little. There’s a small dribble of oil that made it all the way down to the lower rubber grip:

I don’t know if it’s leaking, or whether this is just oil that was in the chain when I finished using it per the info shared by TAT above?
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

An inspection of the bar and the bar-hole valve if there is one or something similar should give you your answer, but I'm guessing that the valve is fine and that it was just residual oil.
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

Maybe these threads need to be merged, dont know if there is any relation (I saw dates were 2016, so that was before the pole saw came out I guess) but some there were saying not only do they store WITH oil (they dont drain it; though the manual states that we must)  and had no issues.

Keeping oil cap loose may not help alleviate the issue.

Am beginning to wonder whether it is defective. I checked oil type in manual it just says Bar & Chain Oil, and somewhere else it says use Oregon make. Wish I had seen that earlier. Thought all B&C oils were almost equal ! I will give that a shot, I guess before I hit support
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

Thought I will share this with others with the same 'leaking oil' issue - This actually began as a fix for the fact that the designers never thought this pole saw would rest by itself (without the power head) and it had no way to stand with 'upright', thusly causing oil to ebb

So looking around the garage for something to prop it, I chanced upon this $-store 'shelf' thingy - killed two birds with one stone with this - keeps saw straight up AND catches spill-off ;)

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,780 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Nice
Photo of JaMiller

JaMiller

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I also have the 14" (and also sometimes use the 16" bar).  And the amount of oil "leaked" is closer to a flood.  My gas powered 14" (echo) slowly leaks oil, the EGO gushes.  If I put the EGO on my pants to adjust the tension, there is a mess, a pool, of oil on my pants (chain saw chaps, actually).  Even after I drain the oil, there is enough to oil <whatever> I put it on.

The operational leak/drip is so bad that I recently was doing work that occasionally called for a chain saw (perfect for a battery powered chain saw)-- and I opted for the gas saw instead of the ECO because of the oil mess of using the ECO.  Also, when I put the ECO on the ground for a minute there is oil soaked ground when I pick it up.  NOT so with my Gas powered 14" Echo.

The chain looks dry, the ground/chaps/box is heavily oiled.  Ghastly.
(Edited)
Photo of Hondemon

Hondemon

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Another leaker here....about 1 year old ...used twice. Keep replacing cardboard...will leak from chassis until empty. Too bad. I liked the machine
Photo of John Sherry

John Sherry

New EGo chainsaw really puts out the oil. I was cutting up a felled tree over a sidewalk and it started to rain. The rain water exposed a huge oil slick the saw left on the side walk. Also have an oil slick in my garage. I just tried to upload a photo but 'server error '.
Photo of John Sherry

John Sherry

Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,434 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Looks like Exxon Valdez struck your sidewalk! Seriously, I didn't think the oil reservoir even has the capacity to make this mess.
Photo of Mitchael Randle

Mitchael Randle

• 62 Points
I'm in the same boat. I took it apart and couldn't see where it was leaking from. I even added a bead of gasket material around the shell before I put it back together which seems to have somewhat helped but that means the oil is maybe staying in the saw? I definately notice it pool more around the front of the saw and tons is in the holder for the blade. I like that I can slap the battery in and chop some small things here and there but yeah the leaking is so annoying...