Chain constantly falls off.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: no longer a relevant conversation

Chain constantly falls offI have an EGO trimmer with 2.5 amp battery, which I love. BUT...the EGO 5amp chain saw I purchased has given me nothing but trouble. The chain constantly falls off the bar, slowly loosening at first, then falling. This occurs despite constant tightening of the screw. This has happened with 2 EGO 16" chain saws...and lest you think I am a novice, I have had a 16" Craftsman for a dozen years, a Poulon chain saw, and numerous other power tools, which I have successfully used and personally serviced. With this same problem happening to two EGO chain saws back to back, I can only surmise it is a problem with manufacturing. Lastly, I am frankly surprised at all the great reviews of this chain saw...unless EGO deliberately eliminates bad reviews.
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

No, they don't delete bad reviews.  I have the original 14" and have dealt with the chain coming off, but honestly, no worse than the last gas powered one I had. 

I believe it has to do with the slower rotational speed which contributes to the picky nature of the chain.  For some reason it's gotten better as I've worn it out.

Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

Appreciate your timely reply. But I'm fighting mad with EGO. They were glad to post my 5-star review of the trimmer I purchased, but refused to post my review of the 2 chain saws I had problems with, saying that my post didn't meet their guidelines. Yeah, sure, as long as it's not a 4 or 5 star review, it doesn't meet their guidelines. If you look at their review—everything being, apparently, only 4 and 5 stars—it might make you wonder. It sure made me wonder after having my review rejected. Also, as I see you've got 26,522 points and have posted a generally good review, my skepticism leads me to question who you are and why you've got so many points racked up. In the meantime, I'm sticking with my review. One star. Or worse.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Well, I'm an average joe that doesn't work for EGO but like post a lot.  The points are the result of spending way too much time in the past few years on the forum.  I have no control on anything in this forum or the reviews.  I thought you were talking about "reviews" on this forum.  I don't know about the website.

And, if you believe your review is honest, it should be allowed.

Thanks

(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Geez SCDC. How dare you have contributed here so much that you have racked up 26k points. You must be dishonest or something... or your just a helpful person... naw that can't be it.
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

Hey, SCDC, I didn't mean to dishonor you, and I sincerely apologize. However, my review stands. I love the trimmer but wouldn't touch the chain saw again. The concept of a battery operated unit is great, and the EGO batteries I've had have lived up to the hype. But, seriously, EGO needs to do something about the chain problem, as opposed to blocking me. That kind of action eliminates, for me, any reputation the company might otherwise have.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hey, thanks!  And you have every right to feel about a product as your experience dictates.  I hope you find a good one for your particular needs.  As far as the posts below, thank you!  Some really good tips.
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

Hey, SCDC, you're worth your 26,000-plus points—every one of them! And Jacob, I actually like your sarcasm. Maybe now you'll consider my posts in a different light?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Well yeah. You're like my favorite person on here now. Most people would attack that post. Glad you're part of the community. You seem to be a very honest individual. Thats worth alot here.
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

I, too, appreciate honesty—and your post as well. Can't say you're "my favorite person"—gotta reserve that for my wife!—but can say you're moving up on my very short list.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
#SCDC,  You understand the human condition.  It is unfortunate that Barry has not gotten his chainsaw to work.  I know from my experiance with mine that it just cut great and keeps on doing more of the same.

I am not an avid chainsawer and can't say I even use it every month.  It is just sad that Barry has just posted here to vent frustration that is real and understandable if you'd paid for a product that is not delivering on what was promised.  

I am like you that negative reviews are just as important as posative ones.  It lets both the manufacturer know what customers are having issues with, and also lets potential cutomers know what some of the problems that need to look out for before buying.  I am not partial to negative reviews that have nothing to do with the product or manufacturer (like the box showed up 3 days late and damaged so therefor it must be bad).  But if Barry has got a chainsaw that has been made sub-par that makes the chain fall off no matter what steps he has taken then it's good to point that out.

Barry: hope you find a better saw that fits your needs.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I generally do a review check before buying anything. Amazon is great for that, and I ALWAYS start by reading the negative reviews. :-)
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

Hey, Blue Angel, I'm with you. Reading the negative reviews is the first thing I do. That's why I bought the EGO chain saw in the first place: there were like 34 fives and 5 fours and no ones or twos or threes. So I said to myself, this has to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and I ran out and purchased it at Home Depot—where I have had a commercial account going back to about 2005—because it had a 5amp not 2.5 amp battery. Then when I had to return it for the chain falling off problem, and then had to return the second one for the same problem I wrote a review giving the chain saw a one star rating—which EGO blocked, even though everything I said was 100% the truth and was written in a straight-forward way without bashing the company or product. So when EGO blocked me and then didn't respond to a second review, I said to myself that this company must be scamming people to get them to purchase their products. Anyway, I've vented.......Matt: for some reason I couldn't respond to your reply above, but I want to say thanks for your thoughtful comments. As for my chain saws, I'll likely go back to my old and quirky but trusty Craftsman.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Blue, 

Absolutely!  I ignore the 4's and 5's all together.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Barry, is it possible there was some sort of electronic filter that prevented your review from getting posted, like language or too many characters? Just throwing it out there. :-)
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

• 1,748 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I try to look at the good reviews. Gives me a good feeling about wasting my money
Photo of keenanj

keenanj

• 2,978 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I don't know if it is an issue for me, as it seems to fall off at the same rate as my gas ones. It's easier to put back on but it is a pain. I have noticed that anything over 10 inches stresses it out a bit (I'm cutting live or pretty wet wood).
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

The issue with the chain falling off can be caused by the chain oil getting soaked into the thread on the slide cover knob.  

You can get some Dawn dishsoap and water and give the threads as well at the coven knob a good clean,  If that doesn't stop the knob from loosening when you are using the chainsaw, then you could put on a bit of Loctite 222 or 243 that will help thicken up and lock the knob better.  

Hope that helps you out.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Thats an anazing thought.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
make sure the large green knob that goes over the chain bar is sufficiently tight.  For all my complaints about the 14" CS, chains coming off is NOT one of them.  I've never had the chain come off even if for a few cuts, the chain was looser than specs.   I suspect there is something that you are doing that is contributing to your problem as I'm no expert and I've had zero issues with the chain coming off.

As far as a supposed "manufacturing problem", I'd bet a fair amount of money that is not the issue.   It's about adjustments and proper usage.
(Edited)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

As to Daves point.  Are you checking the chain and bar before each use?  I know from experiance that there is a small amount of chain stretch when using the saw.  How often does the chain fall off?  is it multiple times in a single use, like chopping up a tree, or every so often like every 3rd of 4th time i use the chainsaw.  that might also give some more clues to what is going wrong for you.
Photo of James Brady

James Brady

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just thinking of getting a new chain saw.  Thanks to all for your comments.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Barry, chain stretch, bar wear and the tensioner backing off are all potential causes. As Matt pointed out, how often is this happening? Could it be the chain on this saw stretches more than you're used to?

I'm no chainsaw expert, but I do know the Ego (and other electric chainsaws) use a narrower chain than most gas saws. Could it be something with your technique that's maybe twisting the chain?

It might be worth checking the alignment of the bar to the sprocket. If the bar is offset even slightly it could exacerbate any issues, like the derailleur on a bike. Here's the exploded view from the manual:

Given your history with saws, none of these are LIKELY but should be eliminated. Sorry if this comes off as repetitive or redundant, just gathering info. :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,900 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Is it possible that it is because it is a thin kerf system. And possibly bending and tweaking the bar is happeing which shortens the distance to the sprocket and possibly allows it to pop off?
Is the bar bent possibly?
Is the chain guide wheel at the tip easy to spin?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Was your review posted to the Ego site or a retailer's site like Home Depot? Honestly I wouldn't go to a manufacturer's site for anything except specs and technical info—plus there are generally many more reviews on any major retailer's site.

There are over twice as many reviews of the 5Ah chainsaw kit on Home Depot's site as Ego's, and there are also 20 questions with multiple answers to each. Ego actually responds to reviews and answers questions there too.

Interestingly, the chainsaw only has 3 reviews below 4 stars out of over 100, so the issues you are experiencing must be fairly isolated. Perhaps it has something to do with what you are cutting or your technique? Or you got really unlucky and found two defective units out of what seems to be very few reported issues.

I haven't ever used any chainsaw, so I'll see my way out of this thread so people with more experience can offer tips and suggestions that might actually be helpful. You might try calling Ego to confirm if the issues you are having are normal or not. If there isn't anything wrong with your saw, plenty of people on here would be glad to help you figure out why you are having issues when so few others are experiencing the same.

Best of luck to you!
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

Fascinating. Not only has EGO blocked my review, but they have now apparently blocked a half dozen comments to you, Blue Angel, Matt, and Jacob. I can't reconstruct them all now, but I thank each and every one of you for your multiple positive, thoughtful, and helpful comments. In the meantime, I am even more concerned about the allegedly nearly perfect ratings of their chain saw. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Ego doesn't have any say over the Home Depot reviews, so those should not be considered suspect.

As for comments not posting, that sounds more like a technical issue than moderation. There have been some pretty negative comments posted that can still be found on this site. To my knowledge, the most drastic measures that have ever been taken is locking a discussion and archiving it so that it falls further back in the conversation listing.

If Ego were as controlling as you have the impression they are, they would never have created a community like this for customers to freely communicate with each other and the company in such an open and transparent way.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

Its the way the comments on here get formatted.  if you look to the top of a thread it will say something like 'see previous' that is a hot link to expand the comments that were before the ones that are shown.  This is just the way the forum works and has nothing to do with EGO or anyone censoring or not wanting to show negative comments.
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

Comments always post immediately. They are not censored.
(Edited)
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

Thank you all for your input. I see below a comment from Jennifer, a Community Manager, to which I'll respond more in depth. In the meantime, all of you on this site appear to be motivated and well intentioned in your comments and demeanor. I sincerely appreciate that.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I've made plenty of negative comments re: my Ego equipment, yet not one of them have been deleted.   Go figure, Barry.   :)

Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

Thank you for your input. Like David Phillips, below, I guess I'm waiting for the EGO electric axe!
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

In general small chainsaws are not very good. I am waiting for the EGO electric axe
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

From my experience, the EGO is far more user-friendly compared to any of the gas powered chainsaws in or around its price range.  From talking with friends who use chainsaws in their wood turning hobby, to get something better you will be paying at least 4-8x as much to get into a professional chainsaw.

My take away from those conversations was to really manage your expectations.  If you were looking for a chainsaw that you will occasionally use for small jobs then the EGO saw is perfect.  If you were looking to buy a chainsaw to on a more regular basis and for large jobs then you get what you pay for and don't sell yourself short.
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

Thank you Matt, for this and your many other wise comments.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Barry, we're sorry to hear that you weren't happy with your chainsaw and we're even more concerned about what happened to your review. We can't search for your review based on your email address but if you remember what the title of your review was or what nickname you used to post, we can look into why it was rejected. Occasionally, our moderators make a mistake and reject something on accident. It is not in our policy to block negative reviews. You'll see on our site that we have negative reviews as well. It's nothing personal against you. As some of the other members here mentioned, there are certain factors that affect an "accept" or "reject" of a review such a language, character count, user experience, etc. We'd be happy to look into what happened with yours specifically if it was on egopowerplus.com. As David Cline mentioned, we do not have any control over any of the reviews posted on homedepot.com. We also only remove comments on this community if they are inappropriate or combative toward other members. We encourage healthy. productive conversations on this community whether the experiences are positive or negative with our products.
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

Hi, Jennifer, I wish I could believe that EGO doesn't censor posts on its Review site and/or here, but my personal experience tells me differently. To be specific, below you'll find what I wrote and what EGO's response was in reply. After reading it, please advise me as to what, specifically, was inappropriate within my review.

Pogee,

Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines.  

Below we have highlighted why your review was rejected and hope that this will help you submit once again.

Your review cannot be approved because it:

• contains inappropriate content

Submit something new

Thanks again,
EGO POWER+ 

------------------------------------------------

Chain constantly falls offI have an EGO trimmer with 2.5 amp battery, which I love. BUT...the EGO 5amp chain saw I purchased has given me nothing but trouble. The chain constantly falls off the bar, slowly loosening at first, then falling. This occurs despite constant tightening of the screw. This has happened with 2 EGO 16" chain saws...and lest you think I am a novice, I have had a 16" Craftsman for a dozen years, a Poulon chain saw, and numerous other power tools, which I have successfully used and personally serviced. With this same problem happening to two EGO chain saws back to back, I can only surmise it is a problem with manufacturing. Lastly, I am frankly surprised at all the great reviews of this chain saw...unless EGO deliberately eliminates bad reviews.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I'm guessing it was just the last sentence that caused the rejection, but hopefully Jennifer will give you an official answer soon.

In my experience as a frequent reviewer for Home Depot, ANY speculation or referencing other reviews is usually rejected. I've even had HD reviews rejected for saying something like "other reviewers mention an issue but was able to correct it using the tips in the manual."

I believe Home Depot outsources their review screening, so this review criteria is likely an industry-wide standard that isn't specific to Ego. I've also found that often the same rejected review can be submitted again without editing and will often be approved the second time...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I thought the same thing. Other than the last line I see nothing wrong with the content.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

My thoughts as well.  The last sentence would be a reject.  The last thing you would want is a liable for saying something like that.  It's just words after the ... that if removed I wouldn't see there being a problem with.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for sending this over Barry. We use the same service and same type of moderators that Home Depot uses. While I cannot see anything specifically wrong with your review other than accusing EGO of deliberately blocking bad reviews, I'm assuming that was the reason it was initially rejected. I have overridden this review and approved it to show on our site. To be fair, we often get 3 star or higher reviews that also occasionally get rejected by our moderators and I have to research all of those as well. I'm sorry that the response from our moderators was not more specific on what you did wrong. We're working on getting better functionality on that kind of response so you aren't left guessing on what you did wrong.
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

Thank you, Jennifer—and David and Blue Angel and Matt—for your reply. As for "accusing EGO of deliberately blocking bad reviews," please note that I did no such thing. I simply opined that that might have been the reason for the rejection. I stand by that comment, as well as noting that I have also had multiple comments on this Community Board site deleted, apparently for the same reason. In fact, my comments, in all respects, have been appropriate, factual, and without any rancor or bitterness. For confirmation, you're welcome to ask all of the abovementioned people who have on numerous occasions been kind enough to reply, at some length, to my posts. Therefore, I would ask that you look into the possible issue of censorship. Although senior management will no doubt deny it, such an experience as mine leaves one questioning the validity of the overall review process and, by extension, the meritworthiness of this company.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Barry, as of this post you uploaded at 5:28pm Eastern Time Friday Nov. 18th, you have contributed to this thread 12 times including the original post.  How do I know this?  Because every time someone posts on this board I get an email notification.  When I check the deleted email notifications in my email trash folder I count 12 notifications from posts you've made.

As of right now, 11:55am Eastern Time Saturday Nov. 19th, I count 12 of your posts showing up in this thread.  None of your posts have been deleted.

It seems pretty obvious that your review was not posted on Ego's website because you included the following: "unless EGO deliberately eliminates bad reviews."  Call it what you will, but that type of content is sure to get your review filtered out.

Why don't you try cutting that last piece out of your review and submitting it again?
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

Appreciate your comment, as with all your others, but I refuse to be muzzled, and if EGO thinks that they can simply reject a comment because they don't like it then I have no choice but to call them out on it and call into question their ethics. Sorry, but that's not a company I want to purchase from—erven though I've already given rave reviews for their trimmer.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Barry,

I forgot all about what happened to my review!  I had a 5 star review for the 21" Mower that got rejected and Jennifer researched it for me.  It had to do with a link I had.  So it isn't just your review!

Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

We'll see what happens to my review after Jennifer gets back to me with her reply as to what, specifically, was inappropriate about my review. (Please see above.) Hopefully, she will, in fact, get back to me with a reply appropriate to the issue at hand. In the meantime, thanks again for your multiple timely and thoughtful comments.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Perhaps the OP should change the title of this thread from "Chain constantly falls off", to "Why was my review deleted?", as that seems to be the main topic here...Too bad this thread couldn't have remained on topic.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

It feels like this thread is spiralling out of control.  Dave is right in this topic was about the chain falling off.  We have tried to give some suggestions as to what to try so that this problem doesn't occur, and all that has happened is the topic morphed into something else.  Not that I am big on censorship but that is something you maybe should address person to person with HomeDepot or EGO directly.  

I have a feeling that taking this thread any further is just causing uncomfort to the rest of the users who really would rather not read it in this manner.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

It is unfortunate that Barry didn't get a chainsaw that met his wants and needs.  This forum is a great place for the community to help each other with problems and work towards solutions.  Where this falls apart however is when a solution is not wanted or achievable.

It looks to me that looking for a solution to get the chainsaw working is not the desired outcome.  I don't know what is.  I understand the feeling/desire to be heard and express frustration.  That has been done.  I don't know what more can be achieved.

If I was moderating this thread I would be closing it down.  It is sad that Barry has not found a solution.  We as the community have tried.  What more can be done?
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

Matt, you and others most certainly have tried—and you've gone way beyond all reasonable expectations. I can't express in words how thoughtful you've been, and I wish you the best in all your endeavors going forward. In the meantime, I think I need to suggest that this thread be closed down, and advise that I will no longer respond to questions, comments, and/suggestions. Thanks again to one and all!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

So this was all just a waste of our time. Please don't post again. We are here to help for free. NOT to have our time wasted.
Photo of Barry Goldberg

Barry Goldberg

There are really two issues, and they're inextricably bound together. One is the chain, the other is EGO's unwarranted rejection of my review. If EGO refuses to acknowledge a problem, then muzzles a review about that product, but expects people to read only good reviews and purchase their products because there are so many fabulous reviews and no bad ones, then I find that highly objectionable and entirely unethical. Nuf sed. But thanks again for all your comments. You need not reply any further.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.