Carbon Fiber Straight Shaft Trimmer

• Question
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • Answered
Any news if the carbon fiber straight shaft trimmer would be available with the 2.5 Ahr battery? The large battery is more than I want, both weight and pricewise.
Photo of Ed

Ed

• 352 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 46,680 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I haven't heard anything. But if you don't want to wait, you might as well buy the split-shaft trimmer with the 2.5 Ah battery. I've owned two Ego split-shaft trimmers, including the carbon fiber, and they're solid as a rock once they're bolted together.
Photo of 40mmrrsmith

40mmrrsmith

• 490 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I stated elsewhere that the carbon split shaft is not any stronger or stiffer than the aluminum shaft. They both have the same aluminum coupler in the middle. The aluminum shaft felt more solid then my carbon model. I was right and wrong. Thanks to someone posting a pic of their coupler, I saw that my coupler is different. I went to HD and found the couplers on the aluminum shaft (They didn't have the carbon) the same as the one posted. The have two bolts installed parallel to the shaft. Mine has one bolt installed perpendicular to the shaft. Even with that bolt tight there' is still play. So I was wrong about the aluminum shaft being stiffer. I still think they can make the shaft from strongest most durable space age material, but that doesn't make the aluminum any stronger. I could probably live with the small amount of play but am worried about it getting worse by the time the warranty is up. I would advise choosing the straight shaft when possible.
Photo of Ed

Ed

No jointed member will ever be as strong as an unjointed member; even a full penetration welded joint in steelwork. Some may write that it's been tested as good enough or stiff enough, but it is never "as good".
On the carbon fiber topic, I believe that if the material is scratched deep enough to cut or tear fibers, that constitutes structural damage. Unlike the metal counterpart, some care must be taken in avoiding damage. All joints I've seen (on bikes) using carbon fiber are generally glued, not bolted.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 50,350 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It is a string trimmer not a hammer.  I never heard of  anyone bending or breaking their string trimmer shaft.   It is more for looks and marketing IMO.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

The power load is the big innovation on the CF trimmer
Photo of Ed

Ed

Has it be around long enough to be proven? One of the reservations I have is that their trimmers do not take aftermarket heads in the event that the design is less than optimal. Understood that that particular head is unique, but what would be plan B if it's not up to par?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 23,550 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It's a fairly new product, but haven't seen much in the way of problems reported here. One powerload failure, as I recall, with no way to manually wind the string. But, that's the only one I've seen. The tools have a 5 year warranty and that's just about the best in the business. 
I have an older EGO 15" trimmer and that would be my backup if I had a failure with a powerload. 
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

• 1,776 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I have the split shaft carbon trimmer and it runs great.  There is no play on my shaft.  The head is the main selling point with the auto rewind, otherwise, it is no different than any other trimmer head out there.  Does have a slippery plastic bottom that allows you to easily glide on the turf.  Just buy it and try it out, don't like it you got 90 days to return it.  The shaft has a lifetime warranty. 

Anyway, the whole shaft thing is irrelevant and all marketing.  I don't think anybody buys a trimmer based on a shaft.  If it wasn't for the carbon fiber thing, nobody would had even given it a second thought. 
Photo of 40mmrrsmith

40mmrrsmith

• 490 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
That's exactly what I was trying to say. Don't buy the carbon shaft unless you want Power load or you just like the way it looks because it is not stronger or better in any way. If you break the aluminum shaft you were abusing it. Have I been speaking to negatively? All of a sudden I can't login I had to use Facebook login.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

40mmI haven't seen any problems.   I think they would let you know if you were being censored or cutoff for bad behavior.  Probably just the computer gremlins
Photo of Ed

Ed

My log-in yesterday was fouled up too. Had to reset the password.
About the carbon fiber, I suspect it's someone's idea of a fashion statement but then those people would be having lawn service anyways. OR is it a nose thumb to the US aluminum import tariff ?
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 1,464 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
One needs a carbon fiber shaft weed trimmer to go with one's carbon fiber vehicle...LOL

The 5AH that comes with the straight shaft unit provides that extra time in the field...:)
(Edited)