Photo of Scott Springmann

Scott Springmann

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,966 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Scott, a couple of things come to mind.

First, which oil are you using and is it an oil that is recommended for the application? The reason I ask is, if the oil is very clear looking (no color) it might be difficult to see through the level indicator.

Second, if you filled the reservoir absolutely full and have not used enough oil, the oil level in the reservoir may be too high to be displayed on the level indicator. Kind of like when you fill your car and the gauge stays on "full" for a while.

Assuming you filled the reservoir before using the saw, is the chain being lubricated properly?

If you could expand on your situation a little we may be able to help.
(Edited)
Photo of jeffnew

jeffnew

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I just bought the 14" chainsaw and I have the same problem. I filled the reservoir to the top, then ran the chainsaw for about 2 minutes on and off. The chain is definitely getting lubed. But the reservoir window appears to be empty. The chain oil that I am using is a light amber color and I was watching the window while I filled it and while I ran the chainsaw. Nothing changed.

I used the chainsaw for about 20 minutes (limbing a dead tree), then cleaned the saw up. The chain , bar and sprockets are well-oiled. But there's nothing showing in the window. I checked the reservoir and it was full to approx 1" from the top.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 49,424 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The window is pretty useless, especially as it gets dirty.  I don't think they can use clear because of the type of plastic.  I do not really know a good answer to this.  I have to check the oil manually myself.
Photo of jim curry

jim curry

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled CS1400 Oil Level.

I haven't used my new CS1400 yet. I added chain oil to what looks like the bottom of the fill hole, but I don't really see any oil level in the viewing window. Is it just hard to see to , Jim
Photo of dwindler2

dwindler2

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled What can I add to oil that will allow me to see it in the sight glass of my CS160....

Question
Photo of takamme

takamme

• 60 Points
just prepared my 14" saw for its first use and also can see no indication in the oil viewing window as to its fill level, using a medium brown color chain oil; to play it "safe", basically filled the chamber until the fill hole level would take no more; after first use, seems like chain getting oiled and still see no change in window
Photo of JoshV

JoshV

• 70 Points
I'm seeing the same on my new CS1604.  Cannot see any difference in the fill window from empty out of the box after filling it up with Husqvarna Premium Bar & Chain oil that has a pretty dark reddish color.  Seems to be oiling just fine though.

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 36,546 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Perhaps you just haven't added enough yet? Manual says to not operate the chain saw if oil isn't visible in the window.
Photo of JoshV

JoshV

• 70 Points
I put at least 4oz in and I kept trying to add until it wouldn't drop below the bottom of the filter anymore.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,118 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Oregon mike- do you own an EGO chainsaw? Oil is never visible in the window because it’s too opaque. This is an obvious design flaw.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 6,372 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Agreed. With good light you can see a very slight difference between air & oil through the semi-translucent "sight window" but it's very difficult to see. Try shining a flashlight into the fill hole.