Cannot screw back the scrapper bar

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
I was doing my annual maintenance on my snowblower and one of the scews that hold the scrapper bar has a plastic thing around it that is broken. (was already broken before trying to remove the screw).  So now that screw cannot be tighten anymore...
Recommendation?  I know the scapper bar is a replacable part but my scrapper is still good for at least another season.  Can I use my warranty to this?
Thanks.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 5,412 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,558 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Based on your last picture I wonder if just a simple flat washer would work for that location. Looks like the screw is a 4 mm screw so you could get a 4mm (ID) fender (large OD) washer and try. 

I don't believe the scraper bar is a warranty part since it's considered a normal wear part.

However, since it seems it broke in an odd way, could be worth a call to EGO CS to see what they will do for you. Maybe a new scraper? 

Here is a parts list I found online which could help you with part numbers when calling EGO.

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Pop rivet has been used by others.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

Ego will be providing me with a replacement scrapper bar!!
Thanks EGO!!

William E Hanson

Hope they're also sending you the hardware to attach with.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

What hardware are you talking about?  I already have the screws...
The nuts are suppose to come already installed in the scrapper bar if that it what you are talking about.
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,558 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ignore the man behind the curtain. Even if new fasteners aren't sent you already have what you need. And, like you say, the nuts are already part of the scraper.

William E Hanson

Your fasteners looked somewhat rusted; the reason I mentioned it.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

Heads up I just received my replacement scrapper bar.

I wasnt aware that the scrapper bar received such a complete redesign since the original one I got with my snowblower in 2016.

I am really concerned about the new design as there is even LESS protection on the sides as the original one....The small skids are not even there anymore!!
Also it was alot harder to install vs the original one.  Really had a hard time aligning the bolts inside the scrapper bar..
Even the hardware changed!!  (guess they knew there was a problem with the original one, like I had)

What are you thoughts guys!!

William E Hanson

You never know until you put it to use; hopefully, the redesign makes an improvement in performance and longevity. Since mine was purchased Jan 2919, I have the new type. Saw no noticable wear after blowing 15" off of 2 driveways with total runtime of about 3 hours.
Photo of TK

TK

• 548 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I am so worried about the scrapper bar. It is the thing keeping me from making a purchase. Plastic? Who does that?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,770 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I have had zero problems with the scrapper bar.  Bought an extra after seeing the posts about it, but it is still in the box waiting for the original to wear out. 

You have 90 days to return it to HD - no reason to not give it a try and see how it works for you.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,810 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, one of the reasons I returned my EGO blower. The scraper does all the work (that's why it catches imperfections so abruptly - it has a knife edge!). The paddles do not touch the surface at all.

On most single stage machines the rubber paddles scrape the surface to clean it, help pull the machine forward, and the scraper just functions to stop snow from being pushed under the machine.

The battery power to scrape the surface with the paddles would probably drain them in no time.