Can the 4.0Ah and 2.0Ah batteries be used with all tools?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Can the 4.0Ah and 2.0Ah batteries be used with all tools? Could you put the 2.0Ah battery in the mower and the 4.0Ah battery in the trimmer? If so how does it effect run time, etc.? And does only the mower come with the 30 minute quick charger at this point?
Photo of Jasper

Jasper

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Philly

Philly

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes to first and third questions. There will be less run time using the 2.0Ah battery in all tools and more run time using the 4.0Ah battery.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Yes, you can also switch the batteries back and forth between the mower and trimmer.  We highly recommend using the 4.0Ah battery for the mower for the maximum run time.  You can use the 2.0Ah battery in the mower but it will only last half as long as the 4.0Ah battery that came with it.  At this time, the mower is the only tool the comes with the 30-minute quick charger.  We are planning on selling all batteries and chargers separately on Homedepot.com in the very near future so you can choose the battery you want for your projects.
Photo of Al Stoll

Al Stoll

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It would be nice if the blower included the 4.0Ah at an additional charge.  Currently you save $29 if you buy the blower with the battery.  Just a thought.
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 496 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It doesn't matter as much in the mower; however, for the hand-held tools it may pay to be aware that the 4.0Ah battery is non-trivially heavier than the 2.0Ah one (2.2 kg vs. 1.3 kg).  I haven't personally used the blower with both types of battery, but you may wear out faster than the blower does if you are swinging around an extra two pounds for all of that additional run-time.
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 496 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You are also saving $100 with the blower/charger/2.0Ah battery kit as opposed to ordering the pieces à la carte with current prices ($100 for the bare blower, $130 for the 2.0 Ah battery, and $70 for the standard charger).  I've been waiting for the bare blower to be available at Home Depot because I don't really want a 2.0 Ah battery or a standard charger (even for a $100 discount) since I already have the mower.  I would love a "Bought a mower, eh?" kit that included the blower and a 4.0 Ah battery for something nominally less than the $300 it would cost separately.  With the speed of the quick charger, I can't imagine owning multiple chargers being of any practical value except as a spare if the first one breaks.
Photo of EJ

EJ

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree.  Those who have paid 500 for the mower should be given a discount on more 4.0 batteries.  It would encourage me to buy the other products as well.  So how about recognizing those who have bought mowers with a special log in or something to get a better deal on batteries and other products, to be picked up at your local Home Depot store.  Ernie at ejg2life@gmail.com

Thanks for your feedback.  We are certainly taking this type of "upgrade program" into consideration but have nothing in place at this time. We appreciate all of your comments and, if this type of program does come to fruition in the future, we will announce it.
Photo of Piloto

Piloto

• 228 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We will need the batteries IN THE STORES.  Online purchases are ok, but shipping drives up the cost and, more importantly, when yard work needs to get done, it usually is TODAY because it will rain next weekend.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just to comment on the batteries and prices. If you look for lithium ion batteries at any retailer lets say for dewalt or any other power tool, you will pay over 100 for a 18v 2ah battery. EGO batteries are 3x the battery (as the amp hours are the same but the voltage is 3x higher) than an 18v battery. I am wondering how EGO can sell the batteries at this price.
Photo of Eugene Gaudreau

Eugene Gaudreau

• 70 Points
love the blower but I'm looking to hook up an attachment for the off arm that looks like an AR-15 handle instead of a sling, or it could be used in addition to the sling. That would lighten the load and help you point it quickly. Care to comment?
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
As Piloto has said (4 months ago, wow, I never saw the comment), if the batteries were at Home Depot, when you purchased an EGO product you could then have something similar to an ala carte where you chose the 2.0 ah battery or paid a bit extra for the 4.0 ah battery, and chose the regular charger or paid a bit extra for the Quick Charger.

And as a side comment about the regular charger, that is one thing I'm very unhappy about. It doesn't have the display of % charge as the Quick Charger does, so it has to be timed instead to get it to stop at 75% - 80%. It just seems like EGO purposely made the regular charger very inferior to the Quick Charger, by completely changing it, when it basically could have been virtually identical, if not just one charger with a choice of charging speed.
Photo of William A. Barker

William A. Barker

• 70 Points
I thought the run time for the mower was 45 minutes. Evidently, that was bogus. 30 minutes is the limit. That said, I think the company should offer an additional battery to owners for a cost of under $100. Or, sell a blower with a 4.0 battery so we have compatibility and can get a lawn done by switching batteries and charging the other while mowing. Bill B, , Madison, CT
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I get from 30 minutes to an hour on the lawn mower, just matters how thick the lawn is.  Mostly 45 minutes from a 4ah battery.  Their claim is very valid.  If I had a fescue lawn, I could probably get an hour or more, but my lawn is very thick and full of stalons from the centipede and Bermuda.
Photo of Janvi

Janvi

• 60 Points
Is it the same for the 2.5ah battery? Can i use it in the EGO blower?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Absolutely! The new 530 CFM blower actually comes packaged as a kit with the 2.5Ah battery.

All Ego tools are designed to work with all Ego batteries, everything is compatible. The only thing that needs mentioning is, under high load situations the larger tools will perform a little better with the larger battery packs as they are able to provide more power to the tool.

Having said that, I use the 2Ah pack in my mower all the time and it works well. My lawn isn't the thickest, so that probably helps.
Photo of Sally Swan

Sally Swan

• 62 Points
So I can get a hedge trimmer "bare" and use the 5Ah battery in it?

Yes, absolutely!
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So can I use the 7.5 Ah battery from the mower in the hedge trimmer? Would that be too heavy?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I wouldn't recommend using anything heavier than the 5.0Ah in the hand tools. The blower may be an exception if you don't lift and point it around a lot. The hedge trimmer is probably one of the worse tools for extended use of a larger battery.
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Understand but it will fit won't it?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Fred the simple answer.  ALL current EGO batteries fit ALL EGO tools. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes, SCDC is correct. I was addressing the question about it being too heavy. That will depend on the user, but I think most would find it difficult to trim bushes with the 7.5Ah battery in their hedge trimmer. Plus it would probably run for several hours—more than most would need.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

About the 7.5Ah being heavy for the Hedge Trimmer?  Confirmed! You can use it, but we can't be held liable for the Arnold Swartzenegger arms you may get  :)
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nor the back/neck/shoulder problems... but those arms tho!!! :-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.