Can I use a higher gauge .095 string with the 12" string trimmer?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Can I use a higher gauge string, like .095 with the string trimmer? If not, can you replace the head with a model that can accept .095 string?  I feel like that is the only downside to this machine and all electric machines in general is the fact that you can't use "big boy" string.

I purchased this machine yesterday, 4/2/14 and I absolutely love it!  The power is great, I just wish that I could use string that will stand up to a little more abuse, I do a lot of trimming up against chain link fencing in my yard, plus some edging, .080 will not hold up as well in those situations.
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Daniel, at this time, the EGO Power+ 12" String Trimmer is designed for use with .080-in. line. We have not tested the product with any other line diameters. We apologize for the inconvenience.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 60 Points
Jennifer:

Even though you said it's not tested, could you still use the higher guage .095 line?

Bob

Bob, our tests and warranty cover only use of the specified line
weight. If you choose to use another type of line, your trimmer may not be
covered by our warranty.

Photo of Piloto

Piloto

• 228 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I would be happy to test a replacement head, such as Shakespear "Fast Loader', at my risk, if I could know that it could be readily attached securely to this trimmer, although I hate to buy now in case your line is developed in the future to accept attachments.

Photo of Charles

Charles

• 60 Points
Charles
The Home depot website has a comment that .095 round line works.  I have used the .080 with twists.  Would round .080 be worth trying?  If so, is there a recommended brand?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Get the thickest you can without grooves. Wind it clean and you will be happy. .09 is nice, doesn't break so easily.

When bumping, I've found that a slow gentle push, until you hear the string hit the citing blade works EVERY time for line feed. Bumping does not.

Good luck!
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 1,968 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree, the bump has marginal success, where a slower push works well.

Charles, we'd like to recommend Rino Tuff Universal Line (that's not twisted).  Here's a link:  http://thd.co/1qxkHO7
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 1,072 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
i find the red max twisted is the best line on the market. I use .80 thinner line has advantages. First less load resulting in faster spool ups also helps keep rpms up in thicker grasses. Secondly the twisted line lets it fly strighter less chance of digging better edges!