Can you use the same charger for the 5 amp as well as the 7.5?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
Photo of Chuck

Chuck

• 70 Points

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 7,186 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Yes
Photo of walt dutchak

walt dutchak

• 1,352 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Definitely.  EGO 56 Volt Battery Chargers can charge any type of EGO 56 volt battery.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Yep, all Ego chargers, batteries and tools are compatible.  The only condition is that some of the larger tools require the larger batteries to perform at maximum power.  The snowblower for example required two batteries at least 4Ah or larger, but will run on smaller batteries just at a lower power level.
Photo of walt dutchak

walt dutchak

Actually the EGO snow thrower will run on only ONE battery in one of the bays.  And there is no observable difference in throwing distance or 'snow moving power' whether there is only one battery installed or two batteries.  At least that is how my unit appears to work since I bought it brand new.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 89,696 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think it depends on how close to max you are pushing it.  In moderate conditions you likely would not notice any difference.  But, when running closer to its limits say in deep heavy snow you will notice the difference and the additional power provided.
Photo of walt dutchak

walt dutchak

Thanks for your comment szwoopp - What you say was provided in the literature on the EGO snow thrower, however, in my case - I have removed snow as high as 14" and also the heavy stuff left in the driveway by the city snow plough.  It takes longer, and several passes over the area, tilting the machine as required.   In all cases I do use both batteries, although I have tried a few tests using only 1 battery, but not in the really heavy snow.  

On a purely observational level, when I do not see the snow being thrown a great distance, one gets the feeling that there is not that much power, but the fact that heavy snow is being moved is a demonstration of power.

One thing that has concerned me a bit over the past two winters is that when I have 2 batteries in the bays they do not appear to get used equally.  The control board seems to drain one battery first and then goes to the second one when necessary.   I have had days when one battery needed recharging and the second battery was completely unused and the charger indicated a full charge.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Walt
That sounds like a defective machine.  Others can chime in, but my understanding is  the system is supposed to use the power basically evenly from both batteries (my understanding is that the peak power technology looks at the power available from both batteries as one big battery/power source).  I have never noticed one of my batteries being depleted while the other was unused.
Photo of walt dutchak

walt dutchak

Yeah I have had suspicions about that.  Is there a way for me to check if there is a defect somewhere and ask for a replacement part?  I am quite handy, at repairs with a background in engineering technology.   Taking the machine to the nearest Home Depot, which is in the next town and me lifting the machine into the trunk of my car (at age 72) is not something I look forward to.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

That would require a call to Ego CS.  Explain your situation and knowledge and they may be more likely to send out a part they normally would not.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yep, you’re right on szwoopp. It should be using both batteries at once. When depleted, both power indicators should turn red at about the same time.
Photo of DaveRodda

DaveRodda

• 60 Points
The battery will draw up to the amount it's designed to draw, so if the stock charger only supplies 75% of that much current, it'll take longer than it should to charge. If you use a charger with more current capability (and that's the key - it's only capability - it doesn't force that much current through your phone), the battery will charge at its full rated current, so it charges faster. You could use a 10,000 Amp charger - as long as it's 5 Volts and has a microUSB connector on it - and the battery will still draw the 1 Amp or so it's designed for.

complete pcb
(Edited)