tj

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,912 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Yes and no.

Any Ego battery will power any Ego tool, so the 2.0Ah battery will work in any of the lawnmowers, but with (at least) three caveats:

First, the most immediately noticeable impact will be a reduction in performance in moderate to heavy conditions. This looks a little different depending on the mower model you are using. In the older 20" mowers they will more easily and more frequently overload and need to recover for a few minutes before resuming. The newer variable power mowers will not be able to reach their max power to maintain blade speed and may eventually overload and need a few seconds to recover.

Second, the run time will obviously be shorter, and possibly much shorter in heavier mowing conditions. My 2.0Ah will almost outlast my arms in the string trimmer, but in higher power tools can be completely drained in as little as five minutes in the right (or wrong) situations.

Third, draining the battery that fast is a lot harder on the cells than a more typical moderate rate. If used this way regularly this could increase the likelihood of premature failure and will definitely have at least some negative effect on the health of and eventually shorten the life of the battery.

That said, I occasionally use mine in the mower while my 7.5Ah is charging, and aside from the minor inconvenience of having to cut narrower strips of grass at a slower pace I haven't seen any resulting issues with my mower or batteries.
Photo of tj

tj

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I appreciate your response that makes sense.
Photo of Eric Summerfield

Eric Summerfield

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Mower short run time with 2.0Ah battery.

well 2 years ago i bought the EGO string trimmer , i love it, At this time I look at the mower to match, but at $500 i couldn't justify it,well my yard is small and it didn't get used much but a great product, well back on May 10, I see the mower for $350 without a battery I thought that would be great ,no gasoline storage issues and use my battery and charger....Well I mowed my yard with it and ran out of battery, my yard is 50'x100' and it wont do it in one charge, i called EGO customer service and they informed me that i would need to buy a bigger battery if i wanted it to last any longer, I feel this was  very deceitful advertising and i would never have made this purchase  if i knew i was going to have to buy a bigger battery,,,,so  I'm out $350 bucks, Now what???
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Interesting that this post is merged here without the comments that accompanied it. Anyway, not really deceitful advertising because Ego makes no claim as to run time for this battery used with the mower. 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,962 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I know this post is almost a year old, but come on. You wouldn't complain that a pint of gas won't power your lawn mower as long as a quart of gas does. Battery capacity and runtime is no different. A 2.0Ah battery doesn't hold as much power as a 5.0Ah battery.

To answer your "now what," your 2.5Ah battery will recharge in about half an hour.
(Edited)
Photo of NightOwl

NightOwl

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I hope it's okay to add this thread and ask my question here.  It's my first time to post and I didn't feel like my question was at the "level" of starting a new thread.  I just purchased the self-propelled model and I like it.  But of course have had some learning curves.  lol

My question has to do with batteries.  Of course mine came with the 7.5.  But I have a friend who has a NEW extra 2.5 that he doesn't need and is willing to sell for very little.  I mowed today and ran out of juice on the side of the lawn and was wondering if this would be powerful enough, for use with the self-propelled mower, to be worth getting?  If it would provide me with enough power to finish off the lawn?  Or at least allow me to continue for the next 20 minutes, while the 7.5 is getting a good charge on it?  I know, variables are important.  But I plan on doing normal mowing (nothing overgrown), at a moderate pace, and I almost always only mow when it's dry.  Today it was slightly damp, but I thought I'd give it a try.  It REALLY cut down on my use time from when I used it a few days ago (only 2 uses so far).  I wasn't happy with how it looked after my first mow, and figured out I'll need to cut IN to the grass.  And not be able to depend upon the blade propeller speed pulling the grass up straight to clip the ends, like with a gas mower, and have it look even.  But I'm off topic.  lol  Just wondering if the 2.5 is worth it?  Thanks for any advice you'd care to share and have a great day!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,590 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The 2.5Ah battery will power your mower, just not for very long. Depending on your grass and whether you use the self propel feature, you can probably expect to get 10-20 minutes of cutting. That should be enough time to get 30% or more charge back into your larger battery.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 13,378 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Absolutely - you can get another 10 minutes or so with the 2.5 (I have one)

But you really need to get the High Lift Blade.  Changed my world, trust me and spend the $20 on Amazon.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,938 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have the high lift blade and like it as well.  I'm typically only seeing 7-12 minutes of run-time with (each of my 3)  2.5 AH batteries depending upon grass conditions.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Makes sense, the HL blade takes more energy to power it.
Photo of NightOwl

NightOwl

Hey... I don't know why he didn't mention this originally (idiot).  But when I wrote him back that I wished it was a higher AMP, he rights back... Oh, I have a 4.0 one.  Du du dooby doo.  lol  I'm guessing I could get another 20 - 30 minutes from that one then?

Bloomz, thanks for the advice on the blade.  I didn't know that was an option.  I think I remember reading a while back, about a new one coming out.  I guess I just thought it would be put with the new mowers.  I'll definitely check it out. 

Thanks to everyone for the help!  I'll likely be back.  lol

Oh, so I don't repeat what has been asked before.  Is there a good thread with experienced advice or "tips"?  I learned a lot about batteries last night. 
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If you type a question, suggested conversations pop up before you are given a window to type in.  Check out the suggested stuff and if your question is still unanswered, feel free to post a new one.
Photo of NightOwl

NightOwl

Oh, I did that.  I've read a lot of stuff already that way.  I just thought I'd see if there was a "tips for new users" section, or thread, that I missed.  Or the experts here thought everyone should read.  I do have some questions about the new blade mentioned above.  I guess I should look for a thread just discussing that though.  lol  Thanks again!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
what are your questions on the blade
Photo of NightOwl

NightOwl

I just posted it, along with some other comments, in another thread talking about the High Lift blade.  :o)  After reading reviews and comments, I think I'll hold off (especially since I only have a couple more months of mowing) and see if EGO has listened to all the comments, and will come out with another blade next season.  Thanks for asking.