Can you cut without the side insert, mulch insert, or bag?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I started cutting out of the box without the mulch insert or bag, is this going to hurt my mower? I have the 21" SP. It did a great job in my test run (no stalls at all in 10" grass on highest setting), and the grass was a bit high so it was too tall for mulching and bagging would be full after 3 minutes.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Karen Crosby

Karen Crosby

• 778 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I've mowed all last season with no bag, and no mulch insert and mower still running great. I mow an hour and a half every week spring summer and autumn. If grass is wet, I do clean underneath so it runs well, and clean under it before storing. One side of my yard grows faster and higher than the other, so often 10 inches tall.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I had to do the same thing in my side lot. Grass must have been 2' tall. Buffalo grass. It just threw the grass out like a fire hose.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,154 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Not a bad idea at all, wish I would have thought of this for that first mow of the season
Photo of Rob

Rob

Good to know Karen, thanks! Yeah bloomz I plan on doing a run at the lowest (or 2nd lowest) setting this weekend since I knocked a good 6 inches off it today (down to 4). I'll see how it handles that. Then the time after that will be a mulch or bag.
Photo of charlie hepler

charlie hepler

• 1,338 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I do it often. It leaves alittle longer shreds of grass behind but not too bad.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,512 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I Know this thread is about the 21", but on my 20" if I mow without the mulch plug, the rear discharge passage to the bagging area just fills up with grass, so I either run it bagging or with the mulch plug.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
With the rear door propped up slightly this would be a great way of tackling an overgrown lot.  It would just puke the grass out the back, little or no restriction.

I believe Jacob was using his 20" like this to deal with longer grass, standing to the side to keep from getting blasted by the grass discharge.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Yup fire hose of grass.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Nice, any idea of how I could keep the back chute open on the 21"?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Bungee cord
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,016 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Rob, you can absolutely cut without using the inserts or bag without damaging your mower. Also, great idea!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Amber. Your supposed to look down on this kind of stuff lol. Cuz projectiles on shins.
Hehehehehe
Photo of Karen Crosby

Karen Crosby

• 778 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I could make myself homemade shin guards, the neighbors would be amused as well.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I like it.

Duct tape and 2 cooking pot lids
Photo of Rob

Rob

Well I tried it again last night (night mowing is amazing btw) in 10+ inch tall grass/weeds in the backyard and it destroyed it. My neighbors were sitting outside and said they were waiting for it to stall out and were shocked it never did. In comparison, my old gas mulching mower would've died after 5 feet of pushing it. Really liking this method to cut (no bag, mulcher) if you've let your grass get too high. This is an amazing mower. A coworker stopped by to check it out and said he may return his Toro mulcher because he liked how light it was + no gas to mess with.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nice! Thanks for the feedback!