Can this mower also be used as a push mower when not powered?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Photo of Rick K

Rick K

• 70 Points

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,964 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Yes, it can be a way to maximize battery run time.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,132 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Also to maximize the exercise/health benefit.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 11,100 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Trying to keep up with the mower set on maximum speed is enough exercise for me! (I've got a big lawn...)
Photo of walt

walt

• 720 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You question is not completely clear. 
A traditional "push" mower has no motor in it and by pushing the mower a gear network causes blades to rotate and the rotating blades cut the grass.
EGO lawn mowers are not "push" mowers. They are powered by an electric motor that turns the cutting blade.
If your mower also has a self propelled option then by engaging that option the mower's wheels are also driven by an engaged gear network.  If the self-propelled option is not engaged then the grass cutting blade is still driven by the motor and you have to push the mower to move the mower across the lawn, but the pushing action itself does not cause the blade to rotate and cut the grass.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,964 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I took OP's question to ask if a self propelled mower can be used as a non-self propelled (or in EGO lingo, push) mower and answered thinking that's the question that was being asked.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 11,100 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I have the 21" plastic deck self propelled mower. Yes, you can push it without using the self propel feature. This works fine on flat ground or for small lots, but if you have any grades that you need to push up, or a larger lot, you definitely want the self propel feature.  

Also note that when the self propel is activated, the back of the mower "lifts up" slightly due to the driven wheels, and the front of the mower is pushed down slightly, which results in a slightly different cut height when moving under power than when pushing manually. (So if you self propel up hill, but push down hill, you may notice visible striping. It's not a BIG difference in height, but it does occur.)
Photo of Timothy

Timothy

• 1,104 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I let my son mow the lawn twice before I told him what the SP handle does. :)
Photo of Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke

• 838 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I went from a gas powered mower that I pushed. I have the self propelled EGO mower now and I push it, never use the self propelled option. It is so much lighter than a gas mower it is easily manuvered. I am getting lazy it is so easy up hill or down