Can this handle hills?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: How does this mower perform on hilly ground? I have 1/3 acre lot with some of it at a 20 degree slope.

I have steep hills in my new yard. My yards have always been flat before. The grass is overgrown, how rugged and powerful is this mower? I want to be good to the environment but I also need a work horse mower.
Photo of Gigi Woodrow

Gigi Woodrow

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,122 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It can certainly handle hills.  I would recommend checking out some of the demo videos available and see if their definition of powerful matches yours.  I think it is one of those words that is better measured by seeing the mower in action than discussing it.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Check out the videos and read some reviews. But look at it this way, you can always buy the self-propelled mower and try it out. If you don't like it you have 90 days to return it to Home Depot (a year if you buy it on a Home Depot credit card), no questions asked. (Just be sure to keep the box and packaging.)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Gigi, have a look at this video for some usage feedback:

https://youtu.be/7nuQ4sWhcyM

Do note that like they say in the video, all Ego batteries are compatible with all tools, but the smaller 2Ah and 2.5Ah batteries that are packaged with the smaller tools won't be able to drive the larger tools (lawnmower, snowblower) to their full capabilities.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
From the 21" Self-Propelled manual (page 22):

SLOPE GAUGE (Fig. 21)
WARNING: Do not mow a slope that has an angle of greater than 15° (a rise of approximately 2 1/2’ (0.75m) every 10’ (3m)). Mow across the face of a slope and never up and down.  Use Fig. 21 as a guide in order to identify slopes that cannot be mowed safety.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0262/2513/files/15-0910_EGO_LM2100SP_LM2100_56V_Lithium-ion_cordle...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Excellent point, although I believe those guidelines are set out more for operator safety than to suggest the capabilities or limits of the machine. :-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

And speaking as someone whose front yard is a slight hill, it makes it a whole lot easier to go across the slope than up and down it. Of course, I don't have the self-propelled model!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Was this you I saw in this picture Ken?

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Hah! My yard isn't quite that steep, although it feels like it sometimes when I mow after a long day at work!
(Edited)
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That guy is obviously doing it wrong, he should pull the mower to the top of the hill, then run down behind it... work smarter not harder.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
He should just use Roundup on the hill. LOL. Best picture ever.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

nah - just offer the neighborhood kids a free ride if they pull your fancy go cart back up the hill
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Jacob, he should use a dozer on that hill. Then, no more hill. :-)
Photo of Gigi Woodrow

Gigi Woodrow

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for all of the funny answers. I bought the mower and a weed wackier and I have a riding mower for the big flat areas. This new yard is a challenge. A lawn service might have been cheaper but I enjoy it so here goes.....
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Congrats Gigi, do you send us some pictures of how your new "mower" and "weed whacker" tearing it up on your new lawn.  You will love the new EGO tools .... :-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Well you now have enough gear the REALLY enjoy it !
How big is the yard ?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.