Can the trimmer be used as an edger ?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Not wanting to plonk the extra $100 on an edger I was wondering if I could use the string trimmer as an edger without causing horror-flick bodily harm on me or anyone nearby.

AND it is not in stock online (like so many other things I need from EGO) 

I remember my B&D Cordless could be used so but this one doesnt rotate the same way to be used as an edger

Thanks in advance !
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

• 1,844 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
You certainly can, it will all depend on how good you're able to get at using it (and how high your standards are for the finished cut).

The consensus seems to be that, for Northern grasses anyway, once you have that groove machined into the lawn the trimmer will track in it. Most pro landscaping companies use string trimmers to edge.

Most people with southern lawns report needing a dedicated edger to cut through the tougher grasses in use in hotter climates.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Of course. Try it out
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

I did, but it was awkward specially when trying to maintain a straight cut
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 13,854 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Mine looks like it was cut with an axe.

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,684 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I personally preferred a "straight edge" edger, but the EGO 15" trimmer actually works well for this purpose.  It's light enough for anyone with "steady" hands to edge with - me, not so much which is why I used the new Edger Attachment & Power Head for my lawn.  Good luck and keep us posted on how the trimmer works out for you ... :-)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 13,858 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

My hands must not be steady enough, but I've tried and have trouble keeping it in a straight line.

My lessor powers trimmers (Black and Decker or Ryobi) are much easier to use for edging.

AMOF I think I'll go out and do some edging right now, with the B & D.

Sounds silly, but I think the Ego is too powerful for that.

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 62,348 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I keep hoping, and have suggested it in the ideas area, Ego will offer a set of wheels to attach to the string trimmer while using it as an edger. That would be a very useful accessory.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

It may sound funny, but I think the extreme lightness and huge torque of the 15" trimmer that makes it such a joy to use for normal trimming actually hurt it a little when edging... it's so powerful it just pulls itself off course.

I think this is an area where the heavier Rapid Reload head will make an improvement. Not only does it add a little static mass to the end of the tool, but ibecause that mass is contained in a relatively large diameter head that's spinning at speed the resulting additional "gyroscope effect" will help steady it.

Just a theory. :-)
Photo of MarkJ

MarkJ

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Oregon Mike, where is this ‘ideas’ section? I have the Power Head edger and trimmer, and want to suggest (too late for me, tho) adding a blade guard (to help me avoid edging my concrete sidewalk) and a second roller for stability. My old corded Craftsman had both and I liked that design much better. Also, I guess the straight shaft trimmer is the consensus now, but I find using the curved shaft favorable.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,962 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 62,348 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Amber. I totally missed this question from Mark J.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I just went out and used all 3 of them.  Maybe the ego would be easier to edge with a strap, as it is brutally strong, and I should turn the handle over for edging.  I'll try that next, tho it isn't as easy as with the other ones.  I ran it until my little 2.5A battery went red then d-e-d.  It cuts, tho, and now I need to see if that rapid reload if for this one, as I had to remove the string a couple times when it bound up
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

That's the part that I dont get - why EGO didn't make it convenient to turn the handle or the shield over to make it easier to use as an edger

I should have been more specific, apologies - I dont have the trimmer, I have the Power Tool that is too powerful to utilize the trimmer as an edger :)

Maybe they could add a step down feature, even when I was cutting branches I felt the amount of power was waaay too much for that poor li'l branch
(Edited)
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

• 2,072 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Ego had the metal trimming clip on the original 12 inch model.  Don't know why it was not added to the later models.  Considering ego is predominantly used by home owners, the ability to easily edge is a major plus. 

Edging with the string trimmer is too difficult for the average home owner.  I tried many times with the carbon trimmer and its just way to powerful and can easily wreck your lawn if you don't maintain your concentration.  And once the trimmer goes off track, the trimmer powers you all over the place causing even more damage.  What's even worst is, I use the lowest speed setting on the trigger, but once it goes off track, the shaft moves and I instinctively hold on tighter to stabilize the trimmer and that causes me to unintentionally squeeze down on the trigger and cause a huge mess of damaged edges and grass.

Holding the trimmer upside down is awkward.  The trimmer head is blocked by the guard so you can't really see where the string is so you just lower the trimmer until it hits where you want it to hit.  Then you start the process of walking while maintaining a straight line adding to the challenge. 

The edger with the powerhead for $129 is one of  my favorite tool.  Perfect edge every time and after the initial edge, edging became insanely fast.  So worth it for the money and you get a powerhead, too.  I think that's a price mistake.

My main issue is edging around the beds or any areas without concrete.  The edger can't be used.  So I'm forced to use the trimmer to edge and always find it to be an unpleasant experience.  Wish Ego would release a guard addon with wheels or a metal clip to make edging easier.  I have a ryobi 40v trimmer that rotates its head 90 degrees when stepped on and goes on wheels for extremely easy edging.  Despite having the carbon trimmer, I had to take my ryobi trimmer out of retirement just for garden and decorative edging. 

Edging with trimmer best left for the pros.  For the average home owner, a wheel or clip to assist with edging will be a  much sought after feature. 
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Commercial string trimmers and the Powerhead string trimmer rotate counter clockwise, which makes edging way easier. A clockwise trimmer pulls itself into the ground, making it very difficult to control.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

I disagree.  The spin is irrelevant.  Instead of going right to left, you go left to right.  Counter clockwise will pull you right to left and clockwise left to right.  Otherwise, no difference.  You just need to adjust to the tool. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If you change your grip to adjust to the tool rotation, then yes, the rotation doesn’t matter. But for a right handed person with their right hand on the trigger and left on the handle, edging with a clockwise spinning trimmer is going to be tough. As soon as it starts cutting it pushes back towards you and down.

A counter clockwise trimmer using the same grip pulls away from you and up. This is one of the reasons pros like CCW trimmers; they can edge with them very easily without changing their grip.

FWIW, edgers work the same way; they pull away and up.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Just tried what you suggested and still found it awkward. But my point is, the average home owner will do a poor job of edging with a trimmer. If ego wants the consumer market, then it should cater to it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Agreed, that’s what edgers are for. :-)

But you do have a point in that Ego could increase their 15” trimmer appeal with some accessories. Many folks could get by with an easy to use string trimmer, instead of a dedicated edger being the only option.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

When I upgraded from ryobi to ego, I never expected to purchase an edger.  Been trimmer edging all my life.  Started with a black and decker lead acid cordless unit with a metal edging assist and then the ryobi rotatable head trimmer.  Then I got the ego carbon fiber trimmer and its all sorts of adjustments.  Watched plenty of youtube videos and everybody does it differently.  The hardest part was the guard blocking the string, I just couldn't see what I was doing.  Perhaps that's the reason so many people leave the guard off.  Then I saw the powerhead and edger combo for a ridiculous $129 at home depot.  I always wanted a powerhead, so I jumped on it.  Absolutely love the edger.  Beautiful, clean and crisp lines you can never achieve with a string trimmer. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The edger really does take it to the next level.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Just tried again, my take is it is far from a good edger.  String broke and bound up 3 times, (because of whacking along concrete probably) and hard to control.

I ended up getting out my electric (cords, yuck) to start it and finishing off with my Black and Decker.

This string breaking is a pain in the a$s.
(Edited)
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 1,848 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I was wondering this same thing. I have the 3 in 1, but would like to be able to rotate the string trimming head to use it as an edger??????
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
3 in one?. The multi tool?. If so just get the edger for it
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 1,848 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Yes, I edge it once or twice a year but want to just wack off the grass for the times in-between.
Photo of Qualls Photography

Qualls Photography

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
@Troy You can certainly use the EGO string trimmer for edging, but results will vary depending on your skills / steadiness of arms. A slight movement too far to the left or right will either leave a slight "scar" in the turf or wear down the string a bit as it hits concrete. Give it a try, take your time. . . and be sure to wear goggles or a face shield!!! You can always opt to get the edger at a later date.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Second the goggles.  Got something in eye a couple of days ago trimming, still bothering me. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I gifted a 15” trimmer to a buddy of mine as a housewarming present. I told him to wear safety goggles, and a couple weeks later he thanked me and said my recommendation was right on the money! :-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.