Can the power station be used to start a car with a dead battery? Can jumper cables be attached to the power stations?

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Answered
Can the power station be used to start a car with a dead battery? Can jumper cables be attached to the power stations?
Photo of John Schwartz

John Schwartz

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I don't see a 12V outlet that would support a draw like that.  So I would say no.  only USB Ports and they are not designed for something like that.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,666 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
There doesn't appear to be jumper type terminals on the power station. And this line from the manual basically says the power station won't deliver enough starting amps to start a car.

"The power station is not intended for any use other than charging USB electronics (up to 2.1 Amp for each USB port) or AC devices (up to continuous 2000W for 3 AC ports combined). Any other use may result in system shut down or even damage."

Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,840 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If you had a car battery charger that plugged into 120 volt outlet, you could use the power station to  charge up a car battery...but it does not directly support jump starting a car battery.
Photo of Edwin Nunez

Edwin Nunez

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
To fully take advantage of this powerful unit, it definitely needs to have the option to do jump starting. I have a portable Lithium Jump Starter with way less capacity than this station and it puts out 4,000A of jumping power. I would also like to see a 12v power outlet on this Ego station, to be able to connect any 12v accessory.
Photo of Brian Olafson

Brian Olafson

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I live in an area with cold winters. I would love an EGO converter with 12v output and enough amps to start a car.
Photo of John Schwartz

John Schwartz

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The battery or charger on our EGO blower malfunctioned. I took the unit to HOME DEPOT where I purchased it. They sent it away to their place in Atlanta two months ago. We have called many times with no results. Is there anything we can do? Suggestions are needed.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,462 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi John, sorry you've been without your EGO for so long. When you say you've called many times, who have you called? 
At this point, if you haven't already, call EGO customer service. They generally want to get involved if the repair has taken 4 weeks so you are definitely beyond that timeframe. Call early in the day to avoid hold times.
They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

Also, you can always get real-time updates on your tool's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 

Finally, some have gone ahead and bought another EGO tool from HD, used it while their tool was out for repair, and then returned it before the 90 day return window ran out at HD.