Can the old bump head be used on the trimmers instead of the rapid reload

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: rapid loading head for weed whacker

My customer likes the old bump head. Can he use the old style bump head?
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,318 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Joette Burke

Joette Burke

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Old style bump head, now my problem makes sense!!! I want the old style too - you can't use a pre wound spool on the new one.
(Edited)
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

One good thing about the rapid reload is that it seems to be thrifty using the .95 string. I trimmed a 20,000 foot hillside with 3 foot high weeds, a side yard and a neighbor's yard and have about 14' of string left of the original 18'.. Sure beats my Black and Decker plug in which went through 40' of string on a 5000' lot.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The rapid reload head is compatible with string trimmer model numbers that end with F. Those include ST1500F and ST1500SF. They are not compatible with the old style bump head. The older versions of the string trimmers (all other model numbers) are not compatible with the rapid reload head. We suggest that if you do not wish to use the rapid reload head, purchase one of the older models of the string trimmer. Those will be phased out in the future and the only head available will be the rapid reload head. It should be noted that both heads are bump heads. The only difference is how the line is replaced within. The rapid reload head was designed to help with faster, easier reloading of the line when it's been completely used within the head.
Photo of Joette Burke

Joette Burke

But is it possible to use a pre loaded spool with the new rapid reload head?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
No, the rapid reload head only accepts bulk string. From what I've seen it's extremely easy to load, and in the long run would be much cheaper than buying preloaded spools.

To wind the rapid reload head you just cut a length of line, feed it through the head until you have equal amounts on each side, and then wind it up.

The other benefit to the rapid reload vs buying preloaded spools is you can use a better line. Many people prefer some aftermarket lines to the line that comes with the trimmers.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You don't want to buy a spool every time. That's sillyness. The rapid reload head will keep those dang used spools out of the landfills.
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

I have small hands and find the rapid reload head awkward to use. When I try and feed the line through the opening it does not come out the other side as the line keeps curling. I will do up taking the spool apart, threading it, then putting it back together, which is hard. Any tips, and do you have good close up bodies of how to do it correctly?
Photo of Joette Burke

Joette Burke

Yes, I went and got line (after realizing the spools won't work) and had the same problem. Followed the directions to the letter. I got it to go out the other side, but then it wound back in as soon as I turned it. My husband couldn't get it either. We ended up taking the spool apart , threading & putting it back together. How bout it, we could use some videos of someone reloading the NEW model! And btw, I bought the spool because Home Depot was out of the .095 line. They had the spools right above the machine, so I got a couple just to get going. They of course must have no idea that the spools won't work in the only Ego trimmer they carry... that's Maui. I went to Ace for the line & will take back the spools later.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Joette, the only RR head video I know of is this introduction video with TIA. The string load looks dead simple, but I did notice the string they load looks fairly straight... maybe they manually straightened a little bit of line at the end (took the curve out from being coiled in the package) so it would pass through the head easier?

Have a look:

https://youtu.be/4vXiLybRyyI
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We have 3 how-to videos for the Rapid Reload head. Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEZJ...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ah! I forgot those videos came out! I knew Barnaby did that video not long ago that included the new Power Head multi-tool but forgot about the others.

Must be getting old or something! :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Come again, what are we talking about Blue??????

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm really looking forward to trying the rapid reload head. I LOVE my 15-inch trimmer, but having to pause to take the spool out and reload it slows me down, and I prefer to use Husqvarna string rather than the string Ego uses on its pre-loaded spools.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ken, you must go through string like crazy!  I get nearly half a season out of a spool, and that was the quicker wearing string that came with the trimmer.  The newer hexagonal stuff I bought seems much tuffer and might last even longer!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's improved since I switched brands of string, but most of my problem last year was from using the string trimmer to get the edge of the sidewalk in front of my house in shape. My front yard is a slight hill, with zoysia grass, and over the years (before I owned the house) the yard had migrated about 6 inches over the sidewalk. I was going through a lot of string using it vertically against the concrete.

Now that the edging is in better shape I'm back to normal wear on the string!
Photo of Joette Burke

Joette Burke

Thank you Jennifer!!!!! I get it now. It wasn't clear to me that you have to load the line halfway through. Not sure why his video didn't pop up when I searched, but I'm so thankful you shared!
Photo of Ben Nawrath

Ben Nawrath

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Convert a 15" trimmer to a power head?.

After being frustrated with my gas trimmer, my wife got me the 15" Ego trimmer for Christmas. I love it. My only complaint was I couldn't use the edger attachment I already had for my old Ryobi trimmer. Then today I see this power head system... My trimmer has the split shaft, is there any way to get the hardware to convert it from a folding shaft to the interchangeable one? Seems like my black hinge and the green couplers would swap right out! 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.