Can the 15: trimmers cut poison ivy stems?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
prepurchase question on trimmers
Photo of Ed

Ed

• 352 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
It's a typical string trimmer, albeit with more power than most. I've been able to get through pretty much anything with mine, apart from thick, woody stems.

That said, I don't know that it's a good idea to be slinging poison ivy debris around by using a string trimmer. It seems like a good way to get it all over you (I get poison ivy very easily). I prefer to spray the stuff.
Photo of Ed

Ed

Thanks. Never caught it in 70 years so not too worried at this point.
Photo of Woody Crandall

Woody Crandall

• 1,776 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Roundup® Ready-To-Use Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer or. https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/flowers-and-plants/how-to-kill-poison-ivy
Photo of Ed

Ed

I never use chemicals. We have a well. But thanks all the same.
Photo of 40mmrrsmith

40mmrrsmith

• 510 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yes it will, with strong line installed. I cleaned years of growth along the fence row behind my shop. I'm not highly allergic. If you are, I wouldn't recommend using a trimmer. The EGO seems to throw a lot of debris back at you .
Photo of Ed

Ed

Thanks. Not concerned. Never caught it even when chopping out out by hand.By your comment I'm guessing the EGO is more messy than others.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The guard on teh Ego 15" trimmers is fairly open.  This is a huge benefit when it comes to getting into tight places and seeing what you're doing.  The tradeoff is that it protects you a little less from debris.  If you're into heavy bushwhacking it's strongly recommended you wear eye protection! :-)

As 40mm pointed out, the string will probably be the deciding factor.  With a tough enough string it should be capable.

If heavier brush cutting is what you plan to use the trimmer for on a regular basis, you may want to consider the Powerhead + string trimmer attachment.  It's a true commercial power level trimmer.  The string will be the limiting factor, not the tool.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

• 2,112 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Maybe its english Ivy and not poison ivy.  They all look the same, reason why you are not reacting to it.  Otherwise, trimmer on a poison ivy is a death wish, in your case, other people.  The ivy tend to get woody at the base, I used a hedge trimmer for the job and a sawzall.  Then using pure muscle to yank the roots out.  Took 3 years to completely clear fence, shed and bed of it.  Good riddance.  I also killed it first with the product woody mentioned above with roundup.
Photo of Ed

Ed

You are right, it is persistent.  Living in the forest takes a certain amount of cohabitation.