Can’t get Powerhead products to Hawaii

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I would love to add the Powerhead edger and hedge trimmer to my toolset, but Home Depot won’t ship them to Hawaii. Why not? I just want the bare tools. They’ll ship a blower here, why not the other bare tools?
Photo of cableguy316

cableguy316

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
By any chance would RCPW or Mower Magic ship there? I know that Mower Magic in the U.K. ships to the U.S., but I don't know about Hawaii, I don't see why they wouldn't though.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The best way to find out is to call the HD.com customer service department at 800-430-3376. Their team is available every day from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. EST.
Photo of cableguy316

cableguy316

I've contacted them already, they don't have a good answer besides "we don't ship some stuff to Hawaii."

I'm mostly putting this on the Ego forum because they're your exclusive US dealer and they won't ship me a product I'd love to buy.  This means I've bought into an ecosystem of products but I can't stick with it.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 108,466 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

If you can't do EGO, I'd recommend the next best one, Greenworks.  Kobalt-branded 80V tools are really Greenworks and can be adapted for Greenworks 80V packs, and likewise, Greenworks tools can be adapted for Kobalt 80V packs, same goes with Snapper XD 82V.  You might have better luck with them, and you could order directly from greenworkstools.  If you cannot get Greenworks or EGO, more expensive but still good options would be Stihl and Husqvarna, but if not EGO, Greenworks, Snapper XD, Kobalt, Stihl, or Husqvarna, I'd stick with gas.  

If people in Hawaii cannot access EGO equipment from authorized dealers, then you have a problem, EGO.  Same goes for Alaska.
Photo of cableguy316

cableguy316

The main issue is that companies like Amazon and HD won't ship batteries here due to postal regulations, but I was able to buy an Ego trimmer with battery at Home Depot here, and I was so happy with it I bought a bare tool blower from Home Depot online and had it shipped no problem.  Whey they then won't ship other bare tool Ego accessories is a mystery.  They don't sell bare tools in stores here, which is also odd.  Hawaii's very green and has high demand for good lawn maintenance equipment.

I'm used to shipping taking longer or being more expensive, but HD won't ship here period.  Shut up and take my money!
Photo of Amber F.

We have countless customers that have successfully purchased and received bare tools to Hawaii (as well as Alaska). Where are you located in Hawaii? We searched the Oahu area, and there doesn't seem to be any issue with shipping.
Photo of Amber F.

Also, @TheAtomTwister: we love your enthusiasm, but posting nearly identical statements about other brands in multiple threads is not necessary. We will be forced to start removing your comments if this continues. 
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Thank you.  You've chased me off of the forum.  I'm not coming back...

Update: you have me very alarmed right now.  I try to help people when they ask.  I do not really feel that comfortable on this forum anymore and will ask for suggestions in my next thread:
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
cable guy, as szwoop suggested, give Cantrell a call. If HD doesn’t want your money, Cantrell might! :-)
Photo of cableguy316

cableguy316

You are partially right - they will ship the Edger attachment and the bare Power Head separately, but this costs way more - $250 vs $130.  In fact, the solo Power Head costs more ($150) than a Power Head AND Edger ($130).   They won't ship the Power Head Hedge Trimmer attachment.

The inconsistency is very strange.  I wonder if they erroneously flag some of the Ego bare tools as having batteries.

Edit: I live in Oahu, so I don't have an obscure address.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

sometimes a phone call to HD can fix problems the mindless computers create in error.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The Powerhead/edger combo sticks out as a severe pricing inconsistency. I suspect that’s an error nobody at HD has caught.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Shhhh... don’t tell them a price is too low, they may not know! ;-)
Photo of cableguy316

cableguy316

I called Home Depot's online store, the associate was very helpful but could not tell me why the shipping policy was so inconsistent.  He told me to try doing a special order in-store.
Photo of cableguy316

cableguy316

I ended up going to a local Home Depot, where I was able to place a special order.  They basically ship the item to California, then put it on the supply barge headed to Hawaii.  I'll get it in 6-8 weeks. 

I don't appreciate being told to call Ego support.  What's the point of this forum if you won't answer such things online?  "We don't know, we don't control Home Depot distribution" is probably the honest and correct answer, why not go with that?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

This is a customer forum with some participation form an ego employee.  This is not an online customer service department.  We help and provide answers we can, but sometimes calling customer service is the best option. 
And yes, Ego is not in control of HD.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,600 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
To clarify: The post above advised you to contact Home Depot customer service, not Ego customer service. Although it wasn't expressly stated, it seemed fairly clear to me that the reason was because Ego doesn't have any say in Home Depot's shipping policies and can't speak for them.

I'm glad to see you found a solution. I'm sure getting things shipped to Hawaii can be a challenge sometimes.
(Edited)
Photo of cableguy316

cableguy316

That's fair, I misread that.  And I did call HD, but it's not like they're putting the head of distribution on the line.  The very nice guy on the phone had no insight.

A large part of posting here is to create awareness of the issue.  Official forum or not, Ego is reading.  If HD didn't ship anything to Hawaii, that would be one thing, but the crazy inconsistency of what they will and won't ship doesn't make sense and suppresses sales. It's more effective to complain to the smaller manufacturer than the behemoth superstore.  

I wouldn't care this much if I didn't think Ego's equipment was so above and beyond the competition, but no other battery powered brand comes close.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,600 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That's the frustrating part of dealing with big retailers like HD. The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.