Can I use a 56v 5.0 Ah and 56v 2.5Ah with the Snow Blower?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
I looked around and couldn't find an exact answer...

I have these two products and batteries:
  • LB5300 Cordless Blower which has a 56v 2.5 Ah battery 
  • LM2002 Lawn Mower which has a 56v 5.0 Ah battery
Can I use those 2 different batteries in the SNT2100 Snow Blower so I don't have to buy any more batteries?

The connections are the same size but the 5.0 Ah battery is slightly thicker than the 2.5 Ah battery. The blower material says the "2.5 Ah battery is compatible with all EGO POWER+ products" but I wanted to check before trying it out? Are there any issues with this combo? 

Photo of The Speck

The Speck

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 18,810 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It will run, but performance will be greatly diminished. The specifications state two 4.0 Ah or higher. Buying as a kit with batteries and charger is the best value. You have a choice of two 5.0 or 7.5 Ah batteries with rapid charger. Don't regret your purchase by cutting corners; batteries sold separately are extremely expensive.
Photo of The Speck

The Speck

Well that’s unfortunate to hear. What does “diminished” mean? Is that less power? Running time or both?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,736 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Certainly run time will be less with smaller batteries.
Performance and power are hard to say.  All depends on the amount and type of snow you are working on as to how much you will notice.  A couple inches and you probably can't tell the difference.  6- 8" of heavy snow and you are like to notice diminished performance and more overloads.

Personally I would (and I did) purchase the kit with two 5.0 batteries.  Well worth the $200 extra investment.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 18,810 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The Speck, like running regular gas in a high performance engine; sluggish and could both damage your batteries and motor. I certainly would not, but you have to decide.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,736 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Damage to batteries and motor will not result from using smaller batteries - only diminished performance.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Correct, the tool just goes into overload sooner with smaller batteries. Overload protection is there to protect batteries of all sizes.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
5Ah and 2.5Ah batteries will power the snowblower just fine, but as szwoopp indicated, you may not get the full power output for heavy/deep snow. The 4Ah batteries have the same power output as the 5Ah batteries, and Ego recommends two 4Ah minimum for best power.

The snowblower will run on a single 2.5Ah battery if you want, but it’s performance and run time will be pretty disappointing. ;-)

Home Depot is now selling reconditioned 2 x 5Ah snowblower kits for $420, only $20 more than the new bare tool. Only a one year warranty on all components, though:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-Recon...
Photo of The Speck

The Speck

Thanks All. I appreciate the input and advice. I may have to reconsider my plan a bit.
Cheers!
Photo of Michael Millan

Michael Millan

• 530 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi! I have a Ego snow blower with its two designated batteries. I have only once used the Ego self propelled battery and the Ego chain saw battery in the Ego snow blower. There have been no problems at all....

Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

• 610 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Zero issues with mixing batteries. Even running a 7.5ah with a 2.0ah wouldn’t be a problem. I’ve run mine with 2 of the 5.0ah batteries and can’t finish everything sometimes and I charge 1 of them and finish up with little to almost no performance loss running the snow blower with 1 5.0ah battery. This winter I’ll be using a 7.5ah with a 5.0ah so that I will always be able to finish my snow blowing without having to charge or change the batteries.

However I don’t recommend buying any Bare Ego Tool that doesn’t come with the battery(s). Look at what Ego charges for the batteries themselves. It’s crazy. $249.99 each for 5.0AH battery. Snow blower comes with 2 of them. $500 in batteries. $119.00 for rapid charger = $619.00. The snow blower with the batteries and rapid charger was $599.99 when I bought it.... If my batteries start to fail on me out of warranty I’ll be buying a new tool that comes with the needed batteries . The snow blower by itself is $399.99. The math just doesn’t make any sense with what Ego charges for replacement batteries.