Buy the new 7.5Ah battery cheap (only $129.99) or NOT?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

While doing research about what EGO battery to invest in, I came across the info about the imminent release of the new batteries (2.5Ah, 5Ah and 7.5Ah).  So I thought to myself...what the hey, if they are affordable, why not get the bigger battery.

So I did, before realizing that this must be a mistake, but I went ahead and ordered the new 7.5Ah battery for only $201.49...it was of course back-ordered, but I now have confirmation of an order for the new 7.5Ah battery to be shipped by June 30th.

Sadly, I did more research and now have found that I paid WAY to much for this battery as Zoro corp has it for only $121.12 and Neobits.com has it for $182.95.

Neobits :
http://www.neobits.com/ego_ba4200_battery_56_0v_7_5ah_p8458372.html

Zoro :
http://www.zoro.com/ego-power-plus-battery-560v-75ah-ba4200/i/G9982664/

Now after even more research, it appears these prices cannot be right...even though they are ...

Should I cancel my order for the battery? or should I simply let this play out to see if I really get a 7.5Ah battery in the mail?
Photo of Marc Washburn

Marc Washburn

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I sure wouldn't cancel! Some companies will cancel orders placed at an incorrect price, but not all. I don't know these retailers or I would place an order right away.

The 2.0ah battery is $129 and the 4.0ah battery is $199. Getting the new 7.5 ah battery this cheap or less is a no-brainier!
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Looks like a price mistake, whatever I'm in it for 2.
Photo of Nick Basso

Nick Basso

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
So, Dominic49 what was the outcome?  You get the 7.5AH for almost nothing or not?
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I need someone from Ego to chime in on this ine. I thought Home Depot would be the only other place to get Ego items.

That battery isn't even up on the HD site yet. I guess if they already have your credit card info, you might as well see what happens.
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

price mistakes happen all the time. some companies will honor them others will not. If you hand around the slick deals forums long enough you will start to have cases of shampoo that you paid $3.75 shipped from laying around your house haha!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I wouldn't touch Neibits with policies like this:

http://www.neobits.com/?n=xqOEHSg0jeX...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Marc, where did you order for $201?
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

Marc ordered from neobits, I ordered 2x from zoro

Theses would work out great for an electric bike project I am working on,

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Here's Neobits policy, from the link I posted above:

"Typos, Content Errors:

Neobits is not liable for pricing errors or errors in content including description, images, etc. If you place an order for a product that was incorrectly priced, we will cancel your order and credit you for any charges. In the event that we inadvertently ship an order based on a pricing error, we will issue a revised invoice to you for the correct price and contact you to obtain your authorization for the additional charge, or assist you with return of the product. If the pricing error results in an overcharge to you, Neobits will credit your account for the amount overcharged. "

I wouldn't buy from these guys with someone else's money...

Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

agreed thats not a cool policy at all. Zoro however is a subsidiary of Grainger. I'll keep you updated if they ship in 2 weeks.
Photo of Nick Basso

Nick Basso

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Not a "cool" policy to not allow people to knowingly try to rip off their company by purposely trying to purchase a mis-priced item?  Really?

Where are the ethics you all learned in kindergarten, boy scouts or from your own parents?
Photo of Rob

Rob

Not that I am one who is trying to purchase the battery from them but they are the business.  They need to make sure that items go past more than one of set of eyes before it's posted on their site.  People make mistakes so postings should be checked and double checked.  The public isn't there to be beta testers for their site.
@Nick Basso, since when is it the BUYER's duty to set the selling price??  Last I heard, the SELLER sets the price and the Buyer decides if it's worth it, then pays said price.  There's nothing morally wrong with paying exactly what the seller asks you to pay, SMH. 
Photo of Rob

Rob

Good luck Guys. Don't set your hearts on actually paying that price, especially with that policy they have. I'm expecting that puppy to sell for $350 on the low end. Whether they will move at that price is another story.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I bit on the Zoro deal. There is a $5 off promo code (remember) and free shipping. I doubt I'll actually get a 7.5ah battery for $120, but wouldn't want to miss out on the off chance that I do!

Mowing the whole lawn without swapping batteries... one can only hope!
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The websites that are  referenced in this post are authorized by Grainger, which is an authorized EGO distributor. The prices for the 7.5 Amp battery are incorrect and we are working with them right now to have the errors fixed. It is unlikely that the prices on the website will be honored, so please order at your own risk.
(Edited)
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

:(
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Thanks for clarifying. I canceled the order I placed with Zoro because I wouldn't want a battery from an unauthorized dealer without a warranty.

But since they are in fact authorized, I placed another order to see what happens. I don't really expect them to honor the price, but I can always return it for free if they don't and it's more than I can afford to pay.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Being that my household budget is tight, I had to bite.  Sometimes these companies honor things like this.  Now if they get flooded with orders, they won't.  It ends up on techbargains or slickdeals.  Like to keep things like this low key.  I REALLY want that 7.5ah battery badly.  My yard is big enough to use it.

Photo of Rob

Rob

OK so we know the price isn't right. So if we know what price isn't right then we need to know what price is right. Why has that info still not been released.

Per your words, one of your distributors has them but posted the wrong price yet I have still yet to see the battery or a price on Home Depot's site. What's with all the secrecy?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The 2.5Ah now appears on the Home Depot site for $149, which is $20 (15%) more than the 2.0Ah battery.

This makes me think the 5.0Ah battery could be in the $230 ballpark, and 7.5Ah might be close to $300. Just a guess, but hopefully we'll know the actual price soon!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I like the way you think, David... Optimism!
That first link says the price is $473.95 for the 7.5Ah pack.  
Photo of Rob

Rob

$300 would be reasonable for the 7.5ah battery but I'm thinking $350 will be the lowest the price will go for it. 
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The 4.0 is only $70 more than the 2.0—seems like this would be the incremental cost of the extra cell bank. The 15% premium for the higher capacity 2nd generation cells should be similar across the line.

If so, that would make a hypothetical 1st generation 6.0Ah battery $270 and its 2nd generation 7.5Ah counterpart $310. I don't think there's any indication it would be in the $350 ballpark, and that would be hard to justify for most customers.

At $300 they probably get enough demand to justify producing it, at $350 they almost certainly do not.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I hope it's $300 or less.  Even then I couldn't justify buying it.  I purchased an additional 4ah battery late last year for $200.  I couldn't really use 2 4ah batteries and a 7.5ah battery..
Photo of Frank

Frank

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled 7.5ah batteries low price vender.

You say,These websites are not part of our authorized retailers,  How did they get the batteries then?  You closed the other posting before I could finish asking this question Denise C.
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

They are authorized as they are subsidiaries of official named dealers.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I can't tell if this is an authorized retailer or not, but I did find a site selling at prices that are on the high end (or slightly above) what we were expecting.  See here:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/i-see-that-i-am-going-to-have-to-ask-directly
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

I'm expecting the 75ah battery to go for $349.99 to $399.99.  That price is going to be hard to justify in my opinion though.  It's going to drive the total cost of owning the mower and the largest through the roof.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 754 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I ordered this, but if you click the links now, they kept the same item numbers, but updated the description to say 2 amps. I'm worried they are just going to end up shipping us over-priced 2 amp batteries with a headache attached. Confirmation email clearly states 7.5 amps, but the item number now links to the 2 amp version. 
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

I purchased mine using a visa signature backed card. IF they ship 2ah battery 1 call to my Visa rep will be all it takes and I will have my money back.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Well,  You know it's a price mistake and on the website it says they are not liable for pricing or product errors.  If they ship a 2ah battery, they should pay for a UPS pickup and refund it immediately.  No worry.  Else, they should cancel all of the orders.  After all, we all know the 7ah battery is going to be over $350.00
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

We don't know for certain the price was a mistake. Perhaps Promotional Launch Pricing? haha!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

lol.  I know flash lights that cost more than that price mistake  :)
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

I have tracking number on my order of 7.5ah batteries. I'll let y'all know what's in the box Friday.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Don't know about you, but I am really looking forward to seeing how they got the weight of a 6.31 lb. battery plus packaging and shipping materials down to the 3.30lb package weight UPS indicates for my tracking number!

Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

Mine is indicated 6.5lbs for 2x so at least they are somewhat consistent.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Zoro's site shows that they do have the 7.5 Ah battery in stock (4 units):

http://www.zoro.com/ego-power-plus-ba...

So they have actually received some from Ego (even if they ship 2.0Ah batteries to everyone who ordered before Zoro fixed their catalog error).
(Edited)
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

My package appears to be 13AH light.

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I went back and forth with them most of the day yesterday trying to get them to send the 7.5Ah battery, but they ended up just issuing a refund and telling me to reorder under the new item number (for $220 more).

Actually, they sent a coupon for $25 off of a $150 purchase, and $310 after the coupon isn't a terrible deal, especially considering that the 5.0Ah is $250 at Home Depot and they STILL don't have the 7.5Ah anywhere on their site.
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

the T&C on their site say that they can cancel an order for a pricing mistake but after the order has been shipped and we have been charged they have put themselves into a funny situation. Unintentional Bait & Switch. I'll deal with the CSR next week and see what they will do.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Dominic49, I warned of this early on to everyone, so it was to be expected.  Everyone also knew that this was not the correct price.  Honestly, make them pay for return shipping and maybe get a $25.00 coupon for the problem.  That's a good deal.  To expect more just isn't right. 

If you put your car on Craigs list by accident for $1000 but meant to be $10000, would you sell it to the person who called you and demanded your car for $1000?

I always check out resellerratings.com, it's an eye opener.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

To David,

That $25.00 off is a nice consolidation prize.  You'll get it cheaper and no tax.  It was worth the trouble.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Domini,

I liked your humor about the "13ah light".  What surprised me was that they were in blister packs?  I would think for the cost of these high end batteries, they would be in a nice EGO colored box with logo, with some packing material.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 71,864 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
But the batteries look so cool! It's all about shelf appeal.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 754 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You mean like this? ;)

Photo of Duane

Duane

• 168 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Paul, where did you buy it and did you get a discount?  The one I ordered from Zoro cost $312.34, no tax and free shipping.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I can't afford to blow the cash on the battery right now, but did get a $25.00 off coupon for ZORO.  For who ever wants to use it, it is PD88J6M.  Hope it works for you.
Photo of Duane

Duane

Thanks for the coupon code.  I just now used it and it worked.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Finally found my Zoro coupon code for $25 off a $125 purchase, which makes a 7.5Ah battery $312.  I can't use it so hopefully someone else can!  The code is PD9HVR.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Or if anyone wants $5 off a 2.0Ah battery (or any $25 purchase), you can use code ZML3A33H.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I can't "swallow" the cost of the 7.5ah battery and it makes me cry from deep within myself.  I HAVE to save up for a walk behind edger.  This year is killing me.  I'm about off the deep end and will have to do something soon.  I also want to buy the trimmer.  My Black and Decker is kind of falling apart after a few years, but it's been good.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Oh yeah, Zoro has sales tax in my state, it really hops the price up, but beats the heck out of retail!
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Zoro emailed a promo code--ROADTRIP--for 20% off a $150+ order, good through midnight CT today (2015-07-16) only. 

This would take just over $67 off of the 7.5Ah battery, making it right around $270.  Not quite cheap enough for me, but a much better deal than Home Depot for anyone who can afford it.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I have to pay tax with Zoro, still not cheap enough.
Photo of Bruce

Bruce

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I just used the promo on zoro, they didn't charge me tax. It was 269.87. I appreciate the code.

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 71,864 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I got that code, too. I'm still holding off for a 30-percent-off flash sale, though.
Photo of Bruce

Bruce

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
the 7.5 battery is cheaper than home depot, but looking at some other Ego products, not all are priced cheaper than home depot.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

25% off from Zoro today only (7/28) with code SUMMERSAVER makes the 7.5Ah battery $253.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Wow....now that's good. Are they trustworthy enough to give my credit card info to? Well as far as you know anyhow.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Rob, they are the retail outlet of Grainger.  Which is world wide.  Very trust worthy as far as that goes.  Now the only problem with Zoro is Bait and Switch.  This isn't the case for this, since its priced correctly with the correct SKU.  Earlier it was priced out of whack and we all knew it was an error, people got the 2ah battery as we all expected.  That is what I call a bait and switch.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

David, thanks for posting this as soon as it hit.  You are the man.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Got that also and yes, ordered it.  for $268.18 and free shipping.  I'll not eat out for a few months.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I'm on the fence. Would really help if I hadn't taken my iPhone for a $320 swim this weekend!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Been there, done that  :(
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ugh... with the exchange rate at about 75% after bank fees, it's still about $337 for us Canooks. Too much. :-(
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I'll be sure to rub it in.  268 was close enough for me.  Now I can carry around my weed eater with the 7.5ah in it and say to my neighbor who is 90, feel high light this is.   :-)
Photo of Duane

Duane

The price is good at this point, but as far as the weight and balance of the 7.5 ah in the weed eater, I'd recommend the 4.0 ah battery.  I own both batteries and the 4.0 ah in the weed eater is better balanced and a lighter weight.  I recommend it over the larger one.  I use the 7.5 ah battery in the lawn mower.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Oh, that was purely a joke Duane.  Anyone would laugh at the weight of an electric weed eater with that thing on it.

I'll use it for Mowing and chainsaw.  Believe it or not, it'll be a huge help with the blower.  I burn through the 4ah batteries fast with the blower, I use it exclusively on Turbo. 

Lastly I'll use it for the imaginary bladed edger.  :-/

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Since it is on back order, the more I look at the order, the more I'm tempted to click cancel.   That cost, even at 25% off is a lot of money!  I may just cancel it.

Edit that.  Cancelled.  I just can't justify it.

(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

You can't do what you can't do. If you've been making it with whatever battery arrangement you have to date then you probably don't need it. The battery is being released a little too late if you ask me.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.