Bundling of/Access to 7.5Ah Battery

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

The 7.5Ah battery exists to power high drain tools for reasonably long periods, much longer than the smaller batteries are capable.

Currently there are two ways to get the 7.5Ah battery; with the SP mower kit or on its own.  At the price being charged for buying the battery separately it's simply not an option for most people.  Almost as if Ego doesn't want or plan to sell many of them?  Maybe Home Depot has something to do with this?

Two high drain tools are about to be released, the snow blower and the backpack blower.  The snow blower has dual battery compartments to allow drawing power from both batteries at the same time, and knowing how power-hungry blowers are the backpack unit will be no exception.  As of right now it looks like both of these tools are planning to be released with 5Ah batteries (two of them with the snow blower).

This confuses me.  These are the most powerful tools Ego makes, why hold them back by selling them with medium sized batteries?  Both of these tools were demonstrated to the press using the 7.5Ah batteries on board, likely for good reason.

The snow blower should be an absolute beast and I can't wait to try out the variable speed auger drive which should be super handy for keeping snow from blowing into my neighbor's driveway.  But just thinking out loud, if the SP mower is able to put out more power (1000W vs. 700W) due to the larger battery, I would imagine a similar scenario with the snow blower being limited with 5Ah batteries vs. 7.5Ah batteries.  I could be wrong.

http://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/outdoor-equipment/ego-56v-snow-blower-spotted/22927/

And the backpack blower is apparently being targeted at commercial users.  With the 5Ah battery the run time will be limited to 22 minutes on High and 15 minutes on Turbo, according to the pre-release info, which puts it at about 1000W power draw which is similar to the SP mower.

http://www.protoolreviews.com/trades/landscaping/ego-56v-backpack-blower/22921/

At the $379 retail price I don't think many people will be looking to the 7.5Ah battery as an upgrade for either tool.  Doing so will more than double the price of buying either tool as a kit in the first place, which just doesn't make any sense at all... how can the 5Ah battery be sold with the backpack blower for $299 while the 7.5Ah battery alone is priced at $379?

Is Ego planning to offer 7.5Ah kits of these tools?

Just to be clear, I'm SUPER excited about the new tools, just less than enthusiastic about the price to get those tools outfitted with Ego's best battery, which they unquestionably deserve.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
  • confused

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,418 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
With you on that brother.  I'm finding my go to battery is the 7.5Ah now.  I use the 4ah on the weed eater and hedge trimmer, that's all.  I think the 7.5Ah battery is more of a staple for high end tools. 
With the self propelled lawn mower EGO actually sells the 7.5 battery and charger with the mower and so does Home Depot.com .It is Home Depot .ca that does not offer the battery and charger with the mower
Photo of Brad Christie

Brad Christie

• 2,568 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Going to give the 5.0Ah battery a shot (just purchased the backpack blower). For my needs, I'm not sure I need more than 22 minutes. However, I also have a landscape company do spring/fall cleanup, which lets me avoid the 2 hour leaf pickup BS. I also have the 21" SP, so I have a 7.5Ah battery already in stock.

My parents used to spend 2-3 hours cleaning up the yard after the trees pummeled them in the fall (and would do so about 3-4 times before season's end). To that end, a 5Ah is near useless (unless you're a union employee and expecting frequent breaks).

From another perspective, though, the above time also included idling (walking time) which electric trumps on conservation. It may be reasonable to work out a schedule where you expend the battery and in between rake/tarp/cleanup piles/bag. That is one huge benefit to the EGO equipment (charging time).

Hard saying not knowing. I'll have to give it a go and see what happens.
i GIVE UP WITH HomeDepot.CA in Alberta as they don't seem to have anything in stock anymore anyway so guess will not be getting an EGO this year
Photo of Brad Christie

Brad Christie

I'm with you. I buy only one product from HD, the rest is from Lowe's. I dislike the atmosphere, customer service, floor plan and aesthetics. But, they have EGO products. :shrug:
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,398 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Brad,

That's been my experience as well!   

Photo of Tim Krehbiel

Tim Krehbiel

• 992 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Why, oh why, can't we just buy these things directly from Ego?  I'd even pay a little extra for shipping if it showed up at my door, and I didn't have to set foot in Home Depot.  That place is just terrible, and they know nothing about Ego's products anyways.  
Totally agree
Photo of Nelson

Nelson

• 734 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
There is a place in Edmonton called Union Wheel that carries EGO
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Good to see, Nelson!

Their website isn't too detailed, but they have Ego listed here:

http://www.unionwheel.ca/specials
Time to change from Home Depot.ca though as every EGO lawn mower is out of stock pretty well in Alberta and really don't feel like ordering on line at this stage of summer
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,400 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ordering online really is painless, either for in-store delivery or to your doorstep. I wouldn't let that hold you back.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

HD Canada actually charges shipping on many items even if you want to pick up in store. Explain that one!?!?! :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Easy Blue, it's Canada!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Right... I'll just count my lucky stars that HD isn't responsible for the maple syrup supply. Ego mowers are one thing, but don't be messing with my maple syrup!!!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Yeah, I wouldn't want to pay shipping on an item as heavy as a lawn mower.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,390 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'll go out on a limb here but I'm pretty sure EGO is in business to sell batteries along with their actual equipment, so I'm in agreement that I feel the battery prices are a bit steep.  That said, they've always positioned themselves to be the "Apple" of the OPE industry, thus they're charging premium prices for their batteries.

Until Tesla gets their Gigafactory in full production and begins to drive down the price of lithium-ion batteries, I doubt we'll ever see prices go down, though.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,448 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Interesting times, for sure. Although, if Tesla has their way and increases the demand for lithium cells at the same rate they increase cell production, the net impact on the battery market may be quite small.

It may actually depend on Panasonic's portion of the gigafactory more than Tesla.
Still see no reason for home depot.ca selling lawnmower as a kit with battery and charger included with the lawnmower.EGO provides it that way as so does home depot.com .Canada as usual behind the times and ripping people off.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

When Tesla's Gigafactory goes to full production capacity by 2020, they'll produce the same quantity of lithium ion batteries in one factory, per year, that the entire world market generated in 2013.  

I'd say that we can expect prices to drop a bit.

Though, much of this is forward thinking to entice investors.  I'll throw my lot in with Tesla, though.  Elon's like a real-life Tony Stark.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

My impression of the gigafactory ramp-up is that they will attempt to match production up with the demand of increasing vehicle production.  Yes their plan is to double global li-battery output by 2020, but a big part of that plan is to double the demand for those batteries as well.

My own personal theory is that the Powerwall home battery project is a way to utilize excess battery output should the demand for the Model 3 not live up to expectations... sort of a Plan B guarantee, and probably necessary to get Panasonic on board in the capacity they are.

Also consider that a major portion of the plant's output will be the new 20700 (20mm x 70mm) cell size, up from the current 18650 (18mm x 65mm).  The per-cell cost of a 20700 cell is projected to be very similar to today's 18650 cell, but with a 30-35% increase in storage which is a big part of their plan to reduce the $/kWh of the Model 3 battery pack.

I personally think the consumer will see cheaper batteries more as a result of the 20700 (and 21700 Samsung) battery sizes than by the giafactory's raw output levels.  That's just my own poorly guided speculation, so we'll just have to wait and see.  :-)
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

One must also take into consideration that lithium is a rare-earth element. Once Gigafactory goes full capacity, we might see the cost per ounce skyrocket and have the *OPPOSITE* effect on battery prices! :/
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Some say he operates his own top-secret lithium mine many miles below the earth's surface, and that he never actually sleeps... all we know is, he's called the Muskinator. :-)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We're really enjoying this discussion.  Bundling more EGO tools with the 7.5Ah battery is certainly in the works though I can't confirm anything, at this time.  Know that we take pricing very seriously and know that many of you are disappointed in the battery price on its own.  This is why we are looking at 7.5Ah kits. We'll keep you posted as we release new kits and bundles.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Woohoo! Bring on those kits!
Photo of Woozie

Woozie

• 284 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Oh, Jennifer - - Please, please, please - - let it be soon! (maybe even before the backordered snow monsters ship ???)
Photo of Dennis Brikmanis

Dennis Brikmanis

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes yes yes please do and let us know ASAP when this will happen
Photo of GlenW

GlenW

• 778 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yes, isn't it obvious that a snow blower with it's heavy power usage and operation in freezing weather needs the 7.5Ah battery ?   I will certainly wait (here in Canada) for this kit to become available.  Must admit that this neat tool has me drooling !     :-)   
So why does Home Depot.com sell the EGO self propekked as a kit but not Home Depot ,ca
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Guntis, they did have that kit.  It's sold out now for the remainder of the year.  Here's a link to the thread where we mentioned that: https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/21-self-propelled-model-with-battery-included-still-av...
Clearly they do not want anymore sales for remainder of year in Alberta at least
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

It's frustrating, but I can also understand Home Depot Canada not wanting to have a bunch of lawn mowers sitting around in warehouses over the winter when they can use the space for snow blowers.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Ken,  It's HD, where their motto is "Expect Less".
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ken, very true, but to run out of lawn mowers in June is a pretty severe miscalculation. Also, you would think by looking at the higher than expected sales rate you could place another order to carry you until the fall.

As SCDC said, I'm expecting less from HD all the time...

Dennis Brikmanis

Totally agree as running out this early is ridiculous
Photo of Brad Christie

Brad Christie

@SCDC, correction; "Expect less, pay more"
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,072 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
All of this sounds exactly like the service I always get when I have to go to Lowes. Any time I've ever talked to a manager at Home Depot they bend over backwards to make things right. But I haven't dealt with online much, or Canada at all. Maybe Home Depot stores near me are just better since they have corporate nearby.

Nothing beats when I worked at Target and their ACTUAL motto was "expect more, pay less"
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Has it occurred to anyone that HD Canada may have stopped stocking them because they weren't selling enough units?  Just playing devil's advocate...

Dennis Brikmanis

Can't sell what you don't have....they have litter Aly no stock of any kind of lawnmowers left period
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Um... not true...
Photo of Jay Dee

Jay Dee

• 60 Points
Contemplating buying a blower.  Can I use the 7.5Ah battery from my mower instead of the 2.5 that comes with the blower?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,884 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You may find it uncomfortable or poorly balanced due to the weight of the 7.5 battery, but as SCDC states all batteries work in all tools.
Photo of dzzmiller

dzzmiller

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I sometimes use the 7.5ah battery from my snowblower/mower in the blower. Its heavy and poorly balanced but usable. I use it when I'm too lazy to go in the house for the smaller battery.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,418 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
All ego batteries fit in all ego tools. End of story.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.