Bump head

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
I've been using the 1500SF 15" trimmer for about a year with generic 0.095 line and it seems to be working ok. However, I have recently been cutting weeds in a wilder section of the property - weeds and grass up to 3 feet tall, and it's part river bottom land with plenty of smooth rocks on the ground. In those weeds and debris I can't see the rocks, so I'm frequently bumping them with the trimmer head. I'm going through line like crazy, not because it's worn out, just because I keep getting the line fed by bumping the head. Having to reload line every 15 minutes has really got me hating this tool. I can't remove all the rocks by hand. I wish this had a way to manually feed line only when I wanted it via some switch on the handle. Any other suggestions?

I also need an EGO tool can can take on blackberry vines - with metal blades?
Photo of Charlie

Charlie

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 67,282 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
So, you are hating the tool because it's doing what it's supposed to do? Meaning extending string when it gets bumped. You could try trimming higher than the rocks, at least for a first pass so you can then see the rocks and avoid having the trimmer do what it's supposed to do.
Photo of Charlie

Charlie

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Yes, I'd prefer the tool did what I want rather than what it's supposed to do. Is there a way to disable the bump head from extending the string?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,484 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
No there is not an over ride nor off switch for the bump head feature.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 67,138 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Does any company make a trimmer where the bump head function can be disabled? Interesting idea. 
And you probably could disable the bump feature by modifying the head, but you'd void the warranty of course.