Should I go with a brushless mower or not?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Hi,  Buying my first lawn mower (small yard) and I am a little confused should I get brushless?  thanks
Photo of Cathy

Cathy

• 278 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Cathy, Ego has consistently rated at the top of the class for battery mowers and they don't have brushless motors. They can offer higher performance but are definitely not necessary.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Amber confirmed the new Steel Deck mowers are also BL (brushless), but the Ego website still hasn't been updated:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/steel-deck-mowers
Photo of Cathy

Cathy

Thank you!
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Typical Engineer is right, Cathy. Our steel deck mowers are indeed brushless. Our site is now updated to reflect that, as well. :-)
Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

• 798 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Will all the EGO mowers transition to brushless and I was also wondering if the shift to steel decks go across the range ,thanks?
Photo of Cathy

Cathy

(a)Typical Engineer

Cathy, you are correct that the new steel deck mowers are BL (see link in my above post).  Me personally, I would go BL over brushed as it's the latest/best technology, that will give more power and efficiency, which means more run time and possibly longer mower life (no brushes to wear out).
Photo of Cathy

Cathy

Thank you! !
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Cathy, if you really want to get "technical" then see the summary below for brushless vs brushed motors.  To Blue's point, EGO's current brushed mowers (20" & 21") will do fine on most yards.  And to aTE's point, the newer steel deck mowers are "technically" more efficient.

At the end of the day, it boils down to "cost" and "preference."  Like aTE, I like to buy the "best technology" I can afford, so if I was in the market for a new mower, then I would probably buy the newest steel deck mower.  On the other hand, some people might not want to invest in the "newest" technology and go with the current models (20" or 21").  Either choice will work fine, it's really up to you and what your budget can bear.  Good luck with your final decision and let us know which model you choose ... :-)

Brushless motors are typically 85-90% efficient whereas brushed DC motors are around 75-80% efficient. This difference in efficiency means that more of the total power used by the motor is being turned into rotational force and less is being lost as heat.

Brushed motor Advantages:

Simplified  wiring:  Brush motors can be wired directly to DC power and control can be a simple as a switch.

Low cost:

Brushed Motor Disadvantages:

Less efficient

Electrically noisy: The switching action of the commutators constantly creating and breaking inductive circuits creates a great deal of electrical and electromagnetic noise.

Brushless Motor Advantages:

Long lifespan: No brushes to wear out
low maintenance: No brushes to replace
High efficiency

Brushless Motor disadvantages:

High initial cost: Need for commutating device  like an encoder and a drive or controller

(Edited)

(a)Typical Engineer

Great summary!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks!
Photo of Cathy

Cathy

Awesome, thank you for taking the time to respond! !
Photo of Cathy

Cathy

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out! I will tell you what I decided :)
Photo of Tom Harlan

Tom Harlan

• 98 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Brushless Steel Deck Mower LM2022SP vs LM2020SP.

Want to understand what the most current features are included in your latest cordless lawn mowers prior to making my purchase. My gut feel is to go with the new brushless steel deck model after reading so many comments.