Brush cutter attachment for Power+

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Power Head Hedge Trimmer Attachment

When will brush cutter attachment become available in US?
Photo of Robert John

Robert John

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • confused, frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
No official word yet. Initially it was 2018, but Ego was quick to point out that wasn't an official release date.

I certainly hope they release the brush cutter AND the pole hedge trimmer attachments ASAP. I have a new lot to clear and I'll need all the help I can get.
Photo of Robert John

Robert John

They are available in the UK and Ireland, but I can't get anyone there to sell me one. All the retailers say that it is certified for CE in Europe, but not UL in the States. Therefore, they won't export it. Sad. Echo's PAS attachment is almost exactly the same and is UL listed.
And I have a quite as bit of woody brush that isn't waiting ... growing like mad.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

UL listing is apparently one of the major reasons the High Lift mower blade took so long to hit the US market. I hope that process is already underway for the new PH attachments.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

• 6,328 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Just a comment, not a source of factual information, but I am surprised that UL would have anything to say about blades or even battery driven equipment.  The charger and even battery, yes, but once the battery is out of the charger I wouldn't think that UL had any jurisdiction.  My limited understanding was that UL certifies things that get plugged into the electrical utilities and the electrical equipment, boxes, switches, breakers, etc.  I wonder is there some sort of voltage rating that once exceeded UL becomes involved on battery equipment?    I clearly need to read about UL.  
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Yep, the certification is right on the cover of the user manual for mower.  Due to the fact that they mower can not be directly plugged into the wall, I would assume they do have jurisdiction on battery equipment.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I'm just repeating information, I'm not familiar with what they do or don't police. Perhaps I'm repeating incorrect information?
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

I am not disputing what you said, just some modicum of surprise.  Its not like I am any kind of regulation expert, just that I always thought for UL to be involved only if it had to plug into the wall.  Its sort of like seeing a AGA approval on a grill that uses charcoal.  
(Edited)
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

So does the Tesla, Volt and Leaf have UL approvals?   I guess so.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,600 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Skimming the UL website, they don't seem to be limited to electrical products, just safety in general.

Checking Wikipedia, UL started out with electrical equipment, but "UL has expanded into an organization with 64 Laboratories, testing and certification facilities serving customers in 104 countries. It has also evolved from its roots in electrical and fire safety to address broader safety issues, such as hazardous substances, water quality, food safety, performance testing, safety and compliance education and environmental sustainability."
(Edited)
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Yes, looking at the drop-down list of industries and services, the only one I don't see is electrical!
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Looks like the applicable standard for Ego products would be:
UL 1642, Lithium Batteries

Didn't see anything for outdoor equipment, but as UL is identified as a safety organization, any blade attachment (vs. a strap) would likely fall under their cognizance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UL_(safety_organization)
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Yes, apparently I have the 1890s version of UL in mind. I had no idea they covered so many fields.

Robert, sorry to have hijacked your thread.
Photo of Robert John

Robert John

No worries. I just want Ego to tell me when the attachment is available. I don't want to buy a separate piece of equipment outside of this ecosystem. I have a lot invested in all of this equipment now.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Well as Blue Angel likes to remind us, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, so keep hammering away.

I haven't seen Amber or Jennifer, the Ego reps, about this morning.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,068 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We hear you loud and clear. We do not have plans for the brush cutter for this year but it's something we are considering for next year. We will post here on the community once it's been confirmed.
Photo of Robert John

Robert John

Well... you already make this thing... and sell it in Europe. From what your representatives say there, it is merely about getting UL approval. Those of us invested in Ego can afford to wait a few months. But those looking for a more complete and slightly more powerful ecosystem may look at Echo. To say to wait a year or more is not the right answer.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 108,748 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It is the right answer if it is the truth.  You can't force things thru regulatory and/or safety approvals - only time gets you through that process.
Photo of Robert John

Robert John

Fair enough. As someone with a vested interest in the longtime survival of Ego i want them to be competitive. But their competition has a dog in the fight too. A person looking for one of these lawn care multitools (Ryobi has one as well) may well choose the one with the wider range of possibilities. That is the truth.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Certainly would prefer Ego to have more attachments available, but as I think we are now agreeing to - that is a different question.

Limited options is definitely a drawback of a young company.  Hopefully new products and options will come on line at a rapid pace
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Hmmm. Good point on the regulatory process. Yet if the tool was approved by CE, it seems that UL should be no problem, assuming that they are Identical systems which they may not be. Obviously the charger would be different but that's not the issue here.

That is probably a naive assumption on my part. Like Paul Masson, we will sell no tool before its time.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Some where I read that the power head had a 2000 watt motor. Maybe the units in Europe have less power and as result the new attachments have to be beefier.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Agreed that Ego needs to go full-tilt getting as many attachments to market as quickly as possible.

For people with larger yards and/or in rural areas, there's a big demand for yard tools and many of them can work with a Power Head system.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,100 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
More powerful? Echo? Maybe their gas powered stuff. Their battery stuff is a joke. The ones that i have seen.

(a)Typical Engineer

Agreed, I just had to pick up the 15" trimmer and swing it around for 30 seconds before concluding that it was WAY TOO HEAVY to be used comfortably.  Additionally, the battery system, especially the lack of a heat management approach was the nail in the coffin for me.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Echo's lineup really does look like a bloated half-baked solution. Their new blower shows promise, but their batteries are literally a joke.

Their stuff overall is rated slightly lower than Ego's, and everything but the lawnmower costs more. They're selling on their name, I think.
Photo of Robert John

Robert John

I got the support strap for the 15" and have it balanced with the 5ah battery. I do a lot of brush cutting and the strap makes the difference. (But I can't knock out the woody brambles without a blade! I have had to rent a brush hog once a year for that! )
(Edited)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Their 58V lineup is pitiful in nearly every way possible.  If you want good EGO competitors, look at Greenworks Pro 80V, Greenworks Commercial, Husqvarna Battery tools, and now the new Bosch Professional tools, which are IPX4 rated (which means that they can be used in the rain) and their batteries use a metal heatsinking system for cooling.
(Edited)

(a)Typical Engineer

Kobalt 80v, sold by Lowes is rebranded Greeworks.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
So is Snapper and Victa.  Also, Kobalt 80V does not have nearly as many tools in its lineup.  Also, Kobalt uses the same manufacturer as Greenworks for its 24V and 40V lineup as well.  I would recommend Greenworks over Kobalt becuase there is no Kobalt 80V hedge trimmer among other tools.

(a)Typical Engineer

Actually, Kobalt has MORE since ANY universal attachment will work.
Photo of Robert John

Robert John

unfortunately Home Depot is also listing Echo 58v lawn tools, but as online purchase only. Their line directly competes with Ego. But the bigger issue is they have quite an array of parts and a accessories on the shelves (trimmer line, blades,etc).
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Echo has been around decades longer than Ego, so that's no surprise.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I don't know nuthin - so I ask... could the edger be used as a brush cutter.  I am just going on them looking somewhat similar i.e. a metal blade.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Probably not, but it would be fun to watch someone else try it! :-)
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Robert, (A) Typical Engineer posted the Ego Europe web page in another thread.  They offer a kit with a line trimmer tool and a brush cutting blade, but no brush cutting tool.  So the implication is the brush cutting blade will work with the line trimmer tool.   I wonder if there is a chance that the blade would work on the US line trimmer tool?   Here is the web page for the kit:

https://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/multi-tool/MHSC2000E-multi-tool-set

I was poking around Ego UK earlier today and Ego doesn't seem to have the limited retail arrangement in the UK as it does here.  There are a huge number of different retailers in the London area alone.   If you find out if the blade offered in the kit would work on the US model, it may be possible through email to find a retailer that would sell you just the blade.  You might be able to pay with PayPal.  Its a long shot, but it might fill your need until the brush cutter tool becomes available in the US next year.   
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I tried last year to get several U.K. retailers to ship various Ego accessories to the U.S. and was unsuccessful.
Photo of Robert John

Robert John

Sadly, I have tried just that. I have called five different dealers in both Ireland and UK. All have said the same thing. "Unable to e xport due to no UL certification ". Which would lead me to believe EGO has provided some sort of direction to retailers to prevent just that sort of thing. Which makes sense from a "prevent law suits" point of view.
Everything I have seen and every conversation i have had with each of the retailers regarding the blade and trimmer is that they are indeed interchangeable. This is how it is written in the manual for the brush cutter attachment as well.
Unfortunately, I can't even get someone to sell me a blade. And the trimmer attachment has a unique star shaped spindle... so no other blade will fit on there either.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Well you have to hand it to Ego, they got things covered.  When I saw all the various dealers, I thought there would be a chance.  Robert, you are way ahead of me.  I feel for you.  
Photo of Kevin Ullman

Kevin Ullman

• 64 Points
Robert,

I'm a new property owner who is going to be dealing with much of the same challenges (bramble removal, cutting up downed oak trees, etc.). I'm coming at this with basically a blank slate, as I live in a condo now and own zero tools. So I'm not invested in anything yet, but am very interested in Ego. That said, I absolutely need the brush cutter for all the bramble removal. Is it silly of me to invest in a whole other system for lack of Ego's brush cutter or is there a reasonable workaround that I could use until they release the brush cutter? I know Stihl has a brush cutter that can be mounted on other brands, but I don't know if it's compatible with Ego. I'm interested in your's or anyone else's thoughts.

Thanks,
Kevin
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,100 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ugh.. ego release the brush cutter blade. I bet one could take the trimmer head off of the multi tool trimmer and mount a brush blade. Not covered under warranty but I'd bet money on it.
Photo of Robert John

Robert John

Unfortunately... I've tried. The brush trimmer head has a toothed spline. No blade I've found will fit on there without tearing up the spline.

(a)Typical Engineer

If you want to know if the EURO brush cutter blade is compatible, you could start reading here:

http://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/accessories/abb1203-brush-cutter-blade

30 cm (11.8") diameter is huge!  The brush cutter I'm using with my PH1400 and the build v1.1 adapter is only 8" (Ryobi RYBRC77).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Expand-It-8-in-Brush-Cutter-Trimmer-Attachment-RYBRC77/100313611
Photo of ignisuti

ignisuti

• 306 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Brush Cutter BCA1200 availability.

I see that the Brush Cutter attachment (BCA1200) is available in the UK. I badly want/need this attachment. I've tried contacting dozens of UK distributors, but NONE ship to the USA. I've also tried contacting EGO for details on where I can purchase one, but they do not respond. 

What's the big hold up here? Can someone please help me locate a seller in the USA?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

The product is not available in the US as it has not yet passed safety regulators.  Not sure if it is just a matter of time(bureaucracy) or if modifications will be needed.

(a)Typical Engineer

If you read the UK manual, the BCA1200 will bolt directly to the STA1500; so it would appear no modifications are required.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I meant due to US safety regulations.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.