Brush Attachment Review...

• Praise
  • Updated 4 months ago
I got a chance to try my brush attachment for the multi-head system to brush some snow. 
In short, it works well. Needs wheels.
However (fancy but), it is somewhat awkward and heavy to maneuver. Basically the entire weight of the brush sits on the ground. I wished it had wheels to allow some weight removal by tilting the battery end down so the brush end could pivot up a bit and take some of the weight off. Very effective at moving the snow though. I was out there using it while it was actively snowing. The brush would throw the snow forward about 5-6 ft. Once in awhile it would roll up some good sized snow chunks but for the most part it would just spray the snow ahead of it. Of course that means there was a pile of snow at the end of the path of brushing. See pics. 

Actively snowing and about 1/2" to 3/4" accumulation on the sidewalks and driveway.

After a single pass. It removes the snow well, but is a bit heavy in use.

Chunk of snow (on the left) created as it built up on the front of the brush and the buildup at the end of the path down there in the gutter.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 83,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

• 1,846 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hello Mike - thanks for the post as it was me who started the conversation about the power brush a few weeks ago. I just joined Ego and purchased my first tool - its the 530 cfm blower with 2.5 amp battery and charger and I am wanting to expand into the brush. I have actively been checking into a wheel kit and have info for you to check out. Here's the link perry.kempf@gmail.com. He has the cultivator/trimmer wheel kit that should work for the Ego and its about $75.00. I agree with you that wheels are required to make to tool user friendly. Are you able to advise what the run time would be on a 2.5 amp battery as this is the largest one that I have at the moment. Trying to order the brush but its not in stock at the moment in Calgary Canada. Thanks Warbird.   
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Have you tried the store locator to find other Ego dealers in your area

https://egopowerplus.com/store-locator

I haven't seen a run time listed for the bristle brush.  I ran mine clearing snow the other day for over 30 minutes and there was still power left.  I know that is not a good measure but it is all I got.

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Hi Warbird, I was using a 5 ah battery and like szwoopp I used it for over a half hour and the battery didn't go to red yet. I can't say exactly how long the 2.5 ah battery would last but certainly less than the 5 ah but with judicious usage (turn it off when not actively brushing, etc) you could probably get a fair amount of time from it.
You could possibly buy a multihead kit that includes a 5 ah battery and charger along with the brush attachment and then you'd have a bit more battery available.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Thanks for your comments - szwoopp / Mike : I have tried everything, even going outside of Calgary and no one seems to have one. It was available back in December but at time - I had not made the leap with Ego.  By Mikes estimated run time - I would think that 15 minutes run time with the 2.5 amp would be reasonable. Besides the power brush, I am planning to order the 56 volt power head which will come with the edger - will only have the larger battery to contend with. I did buy a back up 2.0 amp battery so for now, I should be OK.     
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Did you take a look at the sweeper wheels site. Its pretty good and there are video's with Perry Kempf doing product demo's. 
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Sorry - Here is the actual link : https://www.sweeperwheels.com/
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Thanks. That trimmer/tiller kit looks like it could be just right.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Glad you had a look - that attachment should work for the power brush. On a sidewalk - not so bad as its straight ahead. On the drive way - having to pick up the unit would tend to be work out. I have triple car driveway and sidewalks on a corner lot. That is the reason I am after the power brush and wheel kit.   
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 8,068 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Help me understand this. With the tiller it rotates forward thus pushing material down , under and back...most effectively used by actual pulling the head back as it digs.

Which way does the bristle broom spin?

Jeremy
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Jeremy, I don't think those wheels are a good idea for the EGO cultivator because it does work best when being pulled.
The brush throws the snow forward when spinning so the bristles pass across the top toward the operator and away from the operator across the bottom. So the wheels would work well with that direction of rotation. Also, I didn't see good results when pulling the broom. It worked best for me going forward only.
(Edited)
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

So you push against resistance unlike the tiller in that you pull against resistance.

Have been pondering picking this up. I clean several hard surfaces that sit in the shade part of the year so they get a little mossy/slimey. Usually use a push broom type brush along with appropriate cleaners.

Are the bristles reversible? Meaning as you use a brisle broom the brisles tend to take a set that direction.....so if reversible it should extend life of broom. Not asking about the rotation.

Jeremy
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
yes, if you take them off and move them to the opposite - side that would reverse them.  Remembering from assembling they are identical and not L/R
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

Thank you.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Jeremy, I tried cleaning some green grass staining from the edge of my back patio where it comes in contact with the grass with the brush and it didn't even touch that. Granted, I didn't put any chemical or cleaner down first so maybe with some sort of cleaner it might have worked. It was just a spur of the moment try since I had the brush out clearing snow from all my pavers and patio area. 
I could see it working well for moss and slime even without any chemicals, just might need chemicals for cleaning stains.
I know my SOB pressure washer will remove that staining so I'll probably just go that route after winter. 
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Hi Guys : Cart before the horse, I went out today and bought a push reel mower. Going to remove the reel blade assembly and convert this into a sweeper wheel kit. It should work as the most important thing are the wheels. I can't start the build as of yet as I don't have the power brush and awaiting for it to return to stock so that I can order it. Paid $10.00 for the whole thing - its a Suffolk Supreme 18 inch reel mower, made in England. I will post photo's when its complete. Cheers ! 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

For info sake, the length of the brushes shaft is between 18 to 19". The bristles kind of extend out to make the overall length around 22".
It'll be interesting to see how you convert the mower to a wheel set for the brush.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Thank you for the dimensions - its of great help. This mower is equivalent to the American Great States brand. The outer wheel measurement is at 21 inches - with the bristle brush extending to 22 inches, it will be just right as the wheels will sit right behind the brush head. I am going to start dis-assembly this weekend as I just brought it home yesterday.  Will keep you posted.