Broken deck

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Hi all,

I have a first generation Lawnmower and the height adjustment was not smooth from day 1 however, 99% of the time I mow on the highest setting so it was not a big deal for me. I few weeks back while trying to change the setting between 3 and 5 the rod came out very hard hitting the side of the housing (exterior deck?) and breaking a piece of plastic (I guess a plastic deck is not always good :). I noticed that the rod is currently in contact with the upper side of the plastic opening and when I moved the lever it pushes and bends the plastic deck, so I guess the piece that broke was already cracked due to the stress or tension of the rod pushing upwards.

I went to the hardware store and got a retainer clip for the rod that connects to the back wheel and also glued the piece of plastic back to the deck hoping for a solution that would last until the end of the mowing season.  Unfortunately the glued piece continued to fall off because it seems that the pressure on the upper side is increasing and it looks like the height of the deck is coming down, I measured the cut last week and it was a 1/8 below 3” so I finally decided to call Ego support.

By the way I have treated this mower very well and my yard is very plain however there is a small 2” slope with a 45 degree angle from the driveway to the lawn (picture below), maybe passing over that slope has broken the mower?

I understand that machines break but this is where I am getting disappointed:

On Sunday 5/28 I called Ego support and the customer rep asked me to drop the mower at the homeless depot. I got there and the service guy tells me that they would ship the mower to the middle of the country to get it repaired and the turnaround is 6 to 7 weeks. Seriously? I live in a big metropolitan area and definitely was not expecting that!!!

I went back home and called Ego again and see if they could speed things up and don’t leave me without a mower for 7 weeks and all I got was a response from a CS guy telling me  “ We are in the mowing season and you just need to wait” well, Sunday afternoon was probably not the best time to call.

SO, now I am mower-less hoping for Ego to make things right.

I am wondering if Ego can keep 10 refurbished machines (around $200 each without batteries) in the central repair place and offer those machines to clients in exchange for their broken machines. Once the broken machines are fixed they got the refurbished inventory. I understand that not everybody would like to get a different machine but hey, that would be a great option if the client wants to reduce the wait time from 6 weeks to 2 weeks.

Photo of Melvin V

Melvin V

• 462 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
There are a lot of ways Ego could mitigate the long wait time for repair.  Offering a loaner is a good idea, but the shipping cost would be prohibitive to/from a central location.  What could work better logistically is to stage the loaners mowers around the country at the more centrally located home depots (which ones, and how many would be the million dollar question).
(Edited)
Photo of Melvin V

Melvin V

Hi (a) Typical Engineer,

I understand your point however, in this case my mower was shipped to this central location (I guess in GA) and will eventually need to be shipped back to me, so instead of shipping my mower Ego would ship me a refurbished equipment and Ego would keep mine and add it to their refurbished inventory. In other words it would be a trade but the turnaround time would be significantly less (probably 2 weeks) and no additional shipment cost.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I wonder if exposure to UV, or heat/freezing temps, caused the plastic to degrade. Add in the stress from the height adjustment system and it's a break looking to happen. Heck, even child car safety seats come with "expiration" dates now due to plastic fatigue. Regardless, these long repair lead times really aren't acceptable. Keep loaners at "Homeless (Hee, I like this) Depot", or doing what others have suggested, buy another mower until yours comes back and then return the second one within 90 days seems to be the answer for now. Come on, Ego, you can do better.

(a)Typical Engineer

Or put it on a HD card and you have an entire year (vs. 90 days).

(a)Typical Engineer

I wonder if Ego could have mailed out replacement parts; the system is not that complicated, and it would probably be along the lines of unbolted a part, and bolting on the new one.  I could probably live with duct tape over the plastic deck if the height adjuster functioned.

Pic from this thread:
https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/20-mower-field-repair-of-the-motor
Photo of Melvin V

Melvin V

Yes, actually I put duct tape to cover the hole but the reason I decided to send it for repair is that the deck seems to be lower now, my max cut height is below 3” and I was worried that it would keep coming down, the upper part of the deck is “resting” on the rod (if that makes sense).

In the meantime I'm trying to make a deal with my neighborhood "Lawn boy" :)

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,780 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I know exactly what you are talking about, however I'm surprised to see a deck with this issue already. My mower had this happen to it last year. The height sagging. It was fixed by warranty. But my mower has some serious hours on it. This is why I'm surprised yours is doing this already.

Are you banging the front wheels on the ground to knock out the grass that may be sticking to the deck? This is what I believe is causing the say issue, well it was for me.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,476 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

I think I would have tried to nurse it thru the summer (unless you're in Florida) and sent it in in the winter.

But - this is unacceptable, if this happens to me I have full plans of buying another and returning it within 90 days.  And, if it isn't back yet (provided it's still mowing season) - rinse and repeat.

OR - the HD credit card will give a whole year!  I'd get one just for that reason if I felt it necessary.

(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I agree totally
Photo of Melvin V

Melvin V

Hey Jacob,

No, I don’t bang the wheels to get rid of the clippings. I do go over the driveway edge (around 2” tall with 45 degree angle) around 30 times every other mow. Also, I have a bumpy stone path (around 40 feet) to my shed and that gets rid of most the clippings.
So maybe going over the driveway edge + the bumpy path for 3 years have produced enough stress to break the deck and height mechanism.

If that is the case I will build a dedicated mower path :)   

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

The broken piece is different than the mower sagging over time. But I estimated it would take roughly 12 to 15 years for this to happen. Your pathway is different than what i believe led to my issue. I was mowing dewy grass and it kept sticking so I would lightly bang the front wheels on the ground.

So my comment before only applies to the deck height sagging over years of mowing. It sagged like maybe 1/2 inch I would say.
Photo of Melvin V

Melvin V

Hi all,

Just wanted to close this thread. Ego sent me a replacement mower and even though I’m happy that I got a new mower (no new battery ☹)  the turnaround was long; 5 weeks from door to door.

Wife did not approve the Home Depot “loaner program” (happy wife happy life) so I bought a used gas power (yes, power!!) from CL for $100. I’m planning to keep the backup pollution machine for the rest of the season and put it on the market next spring.

Thank you
(Edited)
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,206 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We appreciate the fantastic feedback on your service experience, Melvin! Our apologies that it was not as favorable as we would have hoped. Please know that we take all of your concerns quite seriously and are constantly looking for improvement. We sincerely wish you nothing but the best with your new mower.
Photo of Brad Carey

Brad Carey

• 2,250 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Not sure why this old thread kicked up in my feed, but I've kept my old reel mower just for this scenario. It's a pain in the butt to cut my mature/healthy Bermuda with it, but it's a decent option especially since it hangs way up on the garage wall out of the way.

This might be a good option for others as they're effective and not very expensive. Just be ready for a workout!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,760 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Put a motor on it

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.