Brand new out of box mower - does not restart

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • In Progress
Brand new - LM2100 Self propelled mower - opened box yesterday to assemble and test.

Tested on driveway, every time I stop using the mower it does not restart. Appears the handle clips don't lock well at all, and the right side slides dpwn which may be causing some kind of contact switch issue?

Is this normal / known behavior for a brand new, out-of-box mower?  If so, it gives me little confidence that this mower will last 5 years, if it doesn't run now.

Ego support said they are sending me some new clips - but I feel like I should not have to fix a brand new mower plus I have no idea how difficult /easy of  a fix this is; or the reliability of the fix long term.

Any suggestions / prior experience with new mowers and these clips? Should I return the mower and get another/different one? If I did that, how do I know another mower doesn't have the same problem as this one?

-v
Photo of V

V

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 67,192 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Yes, if the right side clamp isn't engaging the mower won't start. You really have to give the handlebars a bit of a tug while engaging the clamps. Maybe it just isn't quite clicking into position? If you purchased it at Home Depot you have 90 days to return/exchange it (1 year with HD CC) so that may have been an option. 
It seems the clamp replacement is pretty straightforward so that should go easily.
Agreed, right out of the box shouldn't fail like that but good on EGO CS to take care of you. 

Might want to double check you have the handlebars pulled up firmly enough before engaging the clamp.

I imagine the chances of another one in a row having this problem would be pretty rare.
(Edited)
Photo of Al

Al

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
As was stated, you must make sure that the handle is pulled completely up or the clips won’t close. Grab the handle in the middle and tug straight up.
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

• 1,076 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Go back to HD and experiment on the floor model and see if it’s the mower or it’s you. If the mower is up on the rack ask them to bring it down for you. They have spare batteries as well if you want to really test it out...
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,376 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Definitely easier to get it replaced at Home Depot and wouldn't think it would be hard to replace the clip. Yours could have been slightly damaged in shipment.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The very early version of Ego's original, 20-inch mower had weak handle clamps that were redesigned. I haven't heard it being a problem on the later production run or any of the 21-inch mowers.

That said, manufacturing defects do happen, although I haven't seen any posts here about the handle clamps being one of them --- mostly just people who didn't understand the handles had to be fully extended. It sounds like you know they do have to be extended.

Replacing the clamps is easy enough to do. I did it with my original 20-inch mower as a precautionary measure. But new, right out of the box, I agree: You shouldn't have to "fix" a brand new mower. If I were you I'd be more inclined to just exchange it at Home Depot as defective.

Don't let this shake your confidence in the mower. Defects do happen. I have three friends who have all bought the 21-inch mower and they all love them.
(Edited)
Photo of V

V

Thanks all.

I should state that I was able to extend the handle, click down the locks and start the mower. But after pushing it any distance (on my driveway), the right side of handle appears to slide down like a half inch, and I cant restart the mower (I guess because there is some sort of contact switch in the lock). In this configuration (both locks engaged where it had just started) the mower does not start again. I was able unengage the locks, re-extend the handle, re-lock and start again - with the same effect - unable to restart.

I don't want to mess with the locks while mowing - which was why I was asking if this is normal procedure / behavior or a design / manufacturing flaw.

Appears to be the latter - but I'm still irked that I have to fix and brand-new out-of-box mower and I'm now highly concerned about long term viability of these switches; if they don't work now, how are they going to work in 3 or 5 years?  Plus I don't really understand why the lock-switches are need in the first place, since the mower already has a 2 part start process (button and bail switch). And the design sure seems suspect - being as it appears this was a prior problem and fixed at some point.

I am also concerned if i try to fix the mower I will be unable to return it to HD if I need to.  And apparently there are no EGO service locations / experts, any any future repairs and DIY only? Is that accurate?

Is the handle only held in place by the pressure of the two locks? Seems like that would be a major issue for long term durability and wear after torquing the handle during normal use for a couple years - even a tiny amount of slippage and the mower will cease to function.

I wanted to go with EGO; bought 3 pieces of equipment last weekend: String trimmer is solid, blower is weak / poor, and mower doesn't run. I'm not exactly feeling great about my $1000 investment.

-v

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 66,318 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The handlebar switches are likely there to keep the operator far enough away from the back end of the mower. If you were mulching, for example, you wouldn't have the bag installed so could be closer to the mower. Note that when the battery is installed, the mower is considered "live" so it could, potentially, start at any time. Safety interlocks are generally a good thing. 
I'm entering my 4th season with my 21" non-sp mower and it runs like the day I bought it. You got an anomaly. It happens. As was mentioned, maybe something happened in shipment. Who knows. It is unfortunate that you got it,but as you have found out EGO CS is really on it and even HD's return/exchange policy is a good one. 
Note that if EGO is sending you the clamps, warranty should not be a concern. 
Right now EGO is having HD handle all repairs. Either in-house or sent out to somewhere. We are ever hopeful that a parts and repair network will become more readily available so we can do our own repairs or take it where we wish. But, for now, HD is pretty much it. 
Which blower did you get that you find it weak? My 575 is a workhorse and I rarely even need to use it on max blow. 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,360 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I've been using my 20-inch mower for four years and the handle clamps hold as well as when they were new.

It could be something as simple as grease on the aluminum handle or the pressure pad is missing. But mine don't slip at all.

This is also the first time I've read the blower described as weak. Mine moves gravel with no problem. I'm wondering what the problem is there.
Photo of V

V

Re: Blower

I got the LB5302 (110 MPH 530 CFM with 2.5Ah Blower). I trimmed some dry brush (with the trimmer, which was great) and wanted to blow it down a 10ft incline. The blower only really worked in turbo mode - max velocity in standard mode was not sufficient for this simple task. And in Turbo mode, the blower drains and heats the battery quickly (12-15 min). I have a gas backpack blower (Husqvarna BT150, 251 mph 692 CFM, 50cc) and the EGO in Turbo mode compares favorably, and it is much easier to grab and go, but it lasts a very short time. I will restrict use for the EGO for blowing lawn clippings of the sidewalks, and use the Husq for big jobs.

Maybe also I need a nozzle?

I will say that the blower incl battery ($179) is a good value compared to buying the BT1400 2.5 Ah battery alone ($149). So if you need an extra battery, it's probbaly worth it - even if you restrict the blower to light use.

-v
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

I would just return the mower and blower. I didn’t see which blower you purchased but if you’re not satisfied why keep it? It’s just going to annoy you. If you didn’t get it, get the highest powered backpack blower. If that doesn’t work maybe wait until they upgrade that item. As for the lawnmower I would just return it and get another one. If you are not satisfied maybe the EGO platform isn’t for you. There are a lot of competitors out there right now ie Snapper, Stihl, Kobalt, etc.

I went with EGO primarily because of my proximity to HD so returns are easy. It has historically been rated the best platform as well. I used to work for the Department of Energy and have a decent understanding of batteries and fuel cell tech and EGO had the most advanced battery when I got started. However, with the current competition there a lot more choices. Plus, from reading about users experience getting tools fixed, (is losing an entire summer to a mower repair) that 5 year warranty comes with a sizable “BUT” attached to it.

I have returned two of their tools that didn’t work for me so not all tools meet every expectation. Also, this is an EGO forum so there is probably a tendency to apologize for shortcomings so make up your own mind. One more thing, I’ve said it before but keep all of your packaging. Because of HDs great return policy, you could use these tools all summer and return them if they don’t meet expectations. Although problematic for my wife, I never get rid of a box!
Photo of emailnodata

emailnodata

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, the clip is designed to keep the operator's feet a safe distance from the blade.
And yes, it's touchy at times. I've not had to yet, but I can see the day coming where I may have to engineer that clip a bit to keep it in place.

These mowers do a really nice job on the grass, but I'll be honest: I don't rough-house it the way I would a little gas-powered $108 mower. I don't mow damp grass, and I don't let the grass get too tall. I bought this mower because I like the convenience, lack of smell, and quiet.
At some point I do think there'll be issues with wires crimping or maybe the motor wearing out.
Photo of Fred G.

Fred G.

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

My advice to you is to return it to Home Depot while you can.  Either get a replacement or get a traditional mower.  

I only have had mine since August of 2018.  It took me three days last weekend to get a hold of support (2 hours wait time on Friday night and following 2 days asked for return call in-line, we would miss the calls after 2+ or 3+ hours waiting).  My mower, since I have had it more than 90 days, had to be sent for warranty work with one hour time spent getting to specific Home Depot that they ship from.  3 weeks possible length of time (no mower) on average, no guarantee on return time, and $22 deposit that I will get back whenever the mower is returned.   I wish I had researched all of this prior to deciding to go with rechargeable and EGO brand.  

EGO and other rechargeable mowers with several plastic parts seem to have larger portion of issues at early age.  I am not sure how long mine will last but I am keeping my 18 year old Toro traditional mower as back up. 

Signed: Frustrated LM2100 Self propelled Owner 

This is not a serious dependable mower at this point of its maturity :)
(Edited)
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Go buy another one and use it until your repairs are complete. When you get your mower back, return the new mower. You have 90 days. If you have an extra blade use that so you can return he new mower with an unused blade. Not necessary though.
(Edited)
Photo of V

V

A bit of follow-up.

I can get the handle fully extended until both sides "click". Left side locks in place, and then clamps - and stays secure. Right side clicks but never holds, and even when clamped, slides back into the telescoping tube. So definitely some sort of defect is present. I'm not even sure if the new clamp will fix this.

I have yet to receive the clamps kits that EGO customer service said they send, so I probably will return to HD. Ought to be an experience trying to get it back in the box,.

I haven't decided if I will get a replacement EGO battery powered mower or a Honda gas powered mower. I haven't decided about returning the blower [LB5302 -> 110 MPH 530 CFM with 2.5Ah], bu if I go to gas mower I probably will as the extra battery becomes much less important to support the ecosystem of related tools.

-v

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 100,944 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You do not have to re box the mower - just roll it in the front door of HD.

Give the Ego mower another shot.  None of the reasons you bought it in the first place have changed. Some defects happen on all products.
(Edited)
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,376 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
True, the products I had to return for exchange was just taken in as is and Home Depot is super easy to deal with on returns.
Photo of V

V

Final follow-up:

I got part from Ego CS. Just a single green clamp with NO instructions on how to replace it. That was the final straw.

I returned Ego mower + blower to HD. HD staff pushed back aggressively on the mower, but I stood my ground and they finally accepted the return after about 20 minutes of discussion with 3 different people. Apparently mower returns are on the rare side, but I did return it to a different HD then where I bought it; so maybe that was a factor. I also felt like maybe Ego and HD have some sort of business relationship (maybe Ego is an HD House brand like Ryobi?)

I ended up getting a Honda HRX217HYA for a bit more then the Ego mower + blower ($729 vs $678); build quality is much higher then Ego, usability is about the same (both are quite easy) and Honda offers some nifty features like the hydro-static drive. But needing to mess with gas & oil is definitely alot less convenient & much more hassle then slapping a battery on a charger. I never was able to mow with the Ego so I cant comment/ compare the cut & mulch quality.

I also think Honda is more capable to handle service requests then Ego, who I have low confidence in. It took me 2 calls, and 2+ hours just to connect to someone in Ego CS, and then I get a part with no instructions on how to install it. For a brand new mower that has some sort of defect, that I have to try and fix myself, and then 2+ hours on the phone, to only get a part with no instructions - that is totally unacceptable.

I kept the Ego trimmer which I really like and it works well; and I'm happy to not have to worry about dealing with a small gas engine trimmer or dragging a long cord for a plug-in electric trimmer.

-v

Photo of Slaw

Slaw

That sucks.  At least you were able to return the mower.