Brand new LM2100SP mower, no locking bolt on the wheel. Nothing there, wheel just fell off.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Bought the machine yesterday, made it all of 5 feet, and the rear drive wheel just plain fell off. The bolt wasn't in the dust cover or anything, it's like it was never there.
Photo of Ronald Gundlach-Chmara

Ronald Gundlach-Chmara

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • irritated

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Not the QA we expect from EGO; return to Home Depot for exchange.

William E Hanson

Not the QA we expect from EGO; return to Home Depot for exchange.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,248 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What is worse than that is getting your tires rotated at a Goodyear tire shop in Fremont, CA, driving it out onto the freeway after the rotation and having to pull onto the shoulder of a very busy 680 freeway to see what is wrong.   The left front tire was  held on by the nuts installed all of 2 turns, so that the wheel was severely wobbling.  I called the shop and they didn't apologize or seemed concerned at all by their sloppy, dangerous work.
Yikes Dave, glad you caught it!

William E Hanson

No excuse because they're suppose to test drive before releasing back to a customer.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Shops don't  test drive after tire rotations.  Any that do would be the exception.  I worked in the auto repair industry for 18 years for both dealers, independents, and I had my own shop.  The mechanics should follow a protocol that would prevent such mistakes--it's not to difficult unless they are uncaring, boneheads.

William E Hanson

Dave, may not do an actual test drive, but someone has to drive the vehicle out to a parking area from the shop. For our own safety , a walk around/ self inspection would be advisable, for possible damage., etc.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Hub caps hid the problem from me when I picked it up.
Seems like a huge pain to repack and take it back (and re-register) for just a bolt,  is there some place (or specifications)? I can use to get a bolt?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 65,350 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
You might try calling EGO CS. It's likely they'll just send you the replacement part.
Emailied, the website says they're not staffed until tomorrow AM. I can't imagine they'd prefer me to return an entire unit for a single bolt, but we shall see.

William E Hanson

Ronald, you're not required to repack it. Otherwise, you'll be waiting for shipping of that bolt.
Any idea on what their normal shipping is like on parts? Next-day? Weeks?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
They ship pretty quickly, but this is a holiday week, which could slow things down.
Follow up:

Sent a message to CS via website yesterday, got an automated response on that one.

Called customer service at 9-ish (Pacific time) this morning, waited on hold (~20 minutes). Got the option to wait for a call back, put in my land-line number... and the the phone system hung up on me (fast beep).

Called, back, waited on hold for another 20 minutes, and put in my cell phone number to get a call back... and the phone system seemed to acknowldge the number. I was then put back into the call queue (somebody needs to work out the kinks in their phone system). I hung up.

Called back a third time, just to see if the first hangup was a fluke, waited until I got the "Press 1 to leave a call back number", put in my cell phone again, and was hung up upon, again. (Maybe it doesn't like certain phone numbers?)

About 20-30 minutes later, I did get a callback, and the person on the other end knew my name, so I am guessing one of the systems on the back-end tied my name/number together, or it was a call based on the contact form.

I re-described the issue, and he said that it would be a time and hassle to get a new wheel (I just needed a bolt, but whatever), and I should take it back to HD, and get an exchange.

Seems like a huge waste of parts, and equipment, and new/refurb (or even scrap!) value to replace a whole platform due to a single bolt, but maybe that's built into the cost model?

Anyways, some person's (or machine's) bad day in China, and missing a single bolt, has now cost them customer service rep time, and a new-inventory loss of a $500 retail item, shipping costs to send it to some place to refurb/aftermarket.

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,150 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
They'll replace the wheel bolt and sell the unit as a refurb for a reduced price. Ego will be fine. Every company deals with stuff like this.

William E Hanson

• 19,256 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Ronald, don't feel bad for EGO; their policies were management decisions based on their business model. It must be working because they're still in business. Home Depot has been great to handle exchanges, so don't waste any more of your valuable time.
Yeah, it's my first time interacting with Ego and a higher-dollar item (for me, anyways) from Home Depot, so I'm learning the general "lay of the land" as far as return policies, failure rates, support expectations, quality of service, etc.

Thanks to everybody who chimed in!