blower with 2.5Ah rated at 10 min boost. what is it with the 2.0 Ah battery?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
blower quits running in a few minutes after putting on of my new 2.0 Ah batteries in it.  that got me to wondering what runtime is on BOOST mode. as the manual gives run time for the 2.5 Ah battery only.

I literally ran it for less than 3 minutes using BOOST.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,248 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

another question.  BEFORE the battery light turns red, but just as it is about to, the blower turns off.  If I pull the trigger again it runs for a few seconds.  this can happen over and over, so I can't really finish what I'm doing.   Is it normal for the blower to shut off when it approaches a 15% charged battery?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I just fully charged the 2.0 battery and then ran the blower on HIGH for 10 minutes, followed by a 15 minute rest and ran it again.  At the 6 minute mark, the battery indicator was RED but was still blowing well.  I then hit BOOST, and after a few seconds the speed dropped way down and I quit the test.   So in round figures, the 2.0 ran for 16 minutes.  Would you consider that normal?
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The 530 is rated to run for 22 min on High with the 2.5Ah. If that's the case, the 2Ah has only got 80% of the capacity, so 22 min x 0.8 = 17.6 min.

It's not surprising that the battery would not support Turbo mode once the indicator turned red. My 20" mower loses power once the indicator turns red as well, and does so with both the 2Ah and 4Ah batteries.. If you let it run only on high straight through it might go for a few more minutes.

Overall I don't see an issue there. :-)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,068 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The thing that gets me here is now that I have the 530 unit and the 575 unit, I can clearly see that the 2Ah batteries can clearly handle higher current draws then the 2.5Ah packs can.  I consistently get 8 minutes of runtime with my 2Ah packs on the 530 unit and I get about 7 minutes with the 2Ah on the 575 unit.  Unlike with my 2Ah packs, sometimes with the 2.5Ah packs on the 575 unit, when they are low in charge, bringing the power of the 575 unit to maximum will trick them into thinking that they are past the minimum charge threshhold I'm guessing because the battery reads the voltage go down below the minimum that the circuitry will tolerate before it breaks the circuit and shuts it off.  Once the battery starts being drained especially with a high current, the voltage between the terminals will drop, and once the drain stops, the voltage will go up again.  You can actually observe the changes in the voltage by holding a voltmeter to the terminals while a Li-Ion pack or cell (and many other cell types for that matter) while it is connected to a device and see the voltage go down and up as you turn the device on and off, or if you just have current be drawn from the pack.  With all that said, why is your 2Ah pack behaving like that?