blower quality

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • In Progress
the quality of these 530 blowers are poor on my 4th blower that will not work and they will not warranty anymore. would not recommend these
Photo of rob

rob

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Alain Beaudoire

Alain Beaudoire

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
What is the problem of non-functioning. Engine stopped abnormal noise, smoke?

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 79,202 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Very odd to have that many go bad for one person. What sort of symptoms are you experiencing with each one?
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,658 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
You say "they will not warranty anymore". I'm not sure I understand. Are the tools older than 5 years (beyond the purchase date)? Were they damaged that in a way not covered by the warranty, like dropping it or misusing it? Or are you saying that EGO/Home Depot refuses to repair a tool under a valid warranty? Who is telling you that won't warranty it?

I don't think EGO would ever not honor a valid warranty.
Photo of rob

rob

all 4 of them have just quite not sure if it is the motor or the switch as they just stop. didn't take apart to check as they were on warranty
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

What were you doing when they quit? Please be specific with details if possible.
(Edited)
Photo of rob

rob

the last one I got under warrant I used it twice and it quite and now EGO will not warranty.
Photo of rob

rob

the only time I used them was for blowing snow. I now have 3 of them that look like new just don't work
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Snow can be tricky. It can get sucked into the back of the blower and into the electronics and cause a short. I don't know if the 530 manual advises against blowing snow, but you definitely wouldn't want to use it if it were actively snowing.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,658 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Mike - It'd be nice if somebody at the HD repair center locations actually diagnose the problem, rather than just continue to hand out more new blowers hoping the problem goes away.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Frank, yeah who knows how it all went. Although EGO would be the one to authorize handing out another blower. That is unless rob did an exchange in which case HD wouldn't even try to diagnose it. There are a lot of details missing from this thread to really understand how it all went. 
However, I do agree that HD should be provided better training on troubleshooting EGO products. Well, better may not be the right word. Not sure what the level of training is. 
We continue to hope and ask for more independent, or even EGO specific, parts and repair shops.
Photo of Adam Neusbaum

Adam Neusbaum

• 790 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
As a new independent dealer, I requested Ego offer a repair training opportunity for us to be able to fully understand how to repair/refurbish the tools/batteries. 
Several months back I went by a Dewalt repair facility in Tampa & thought how nice would it be if Ego had the same. 
In short, that's what I want our location to offer.
Photo of Barry

Barry

Mine just died too.  The first 530cfm lasted about a month of sporadic use,  then the replacement by Home Depot (they are good are just giving a replacement) only lasted maybe 15 minutes total of use before it quit with electrrc shock..  Yes I was blowing snow with it,  that's why I bought it of course. But maybe the Edmonton winters are not for this type of unit.
(Edited)
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,890 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Maybe EGO should quit putting up videos of their blowers being used to clear snow if they're not intended for that use or void the warranty.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 111,918 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
They can be used for clearing snow. 
They should not be used while it is snowing.
Photo of Barry

Barry

But when blowing snow,  of course it blows up and around and does end up behind you and some ends up within the unit.  I agree they should not have the videos showing the units blowing snow.
Photo of John Grande

John Grande

• 70 Points
I've got 2 broken blowers, latest one to go on me is the LB5300. Seems to be electrical, it will run for 3-15 seconds and then just stop dead. I'm sure the warranty is expired since the latest one is now close to 30 months old. I tried trouble shooting the issue on the older one (LB4801) but now have a box full of parts and no idea why it won't work.
My wife will not let me buy Ego products any more since they are not long lasting, back to gas for me.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

John, warranty on EGO tools is 5 years which is 60 months. Are you also trying to use the blower when it is snowing? Either way, you are still under warranty so give EGO CS a call.
Photo of John Grande

John Grande

• 70 Points
Thanks Mike, I'll give them a call. No snow usage on this one...last one it did die while I was clearing snow. Same symptoms, seems like there is a limited life for the motor.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 111,918 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Gave my old 530 to my son in law and he loves it.
My 580 that replaced it 2 years ago is still going strong. Definitely not a limited life on the motors.