Blower just quit today

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: CS

After 5 months of happiness my EGO blower just died when blowing debris in the backyard :(
Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed since I've been depending heavily on it for clean-up at our home.
Worked well until now.
Battery was freshly charged.
I was using it on the hi/boost setting
Worked for 2 minutes then stopped.

No function at all since it did this this morning.
Photo of Chance Buckman

Chance Buckman

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,328 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What does the battery do when you push the button or put it in the charger?

I would make sure that the blower and battery are registered and then give Ego a call to troubleshoot. If possible, you might want to try an off-peak time for fastest service.
Photo of Chance Buckman

Chance Buckman

Thanks
The button push on the battery yields a green light.
On the charger a normal charging condition is indicated.

I'll register and call in for support.
Photo of Larry

Larry

• 800 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Which model blower do you have? the 530 CFM or the older model? I am on my third 530 CFM blower now. None of them lasted more than 20 minutes before going dead right out of the box
Photo of Chance Buckman

Chance Buckman

I have the LB4800 480 CFM from Home Depot ($179.00).

Looks like I'm back to my gas blower that I like and everyone else hates.
I'm unable to find the receipt for this so warranty help is probably a no go.
Maybe there's a DIY fix for this somewhere.

I did like the EGO very much because I could use it in the evening without bothering the neighbors.
Great while it lasted...sadly I won't bother with EGO in the future.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

You might try giving their customer service a shot before giving up. I'm not sure what options there are without a receipt, but I have been very impressed by Ego's support the two times I've had to call.

As for the original receipt, have you checked with the retailer to see if they can look it up? Or if you paid with a card perhaps the issuer can help locate a record of the transaction?

It sounds like the battery may be working fine, and the tool Is still well within its five year warranty. Whether it's the tool or battery, this should still be covered under warranty if you can find a record of the purchase. Probably worth at least trying, I would think.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 55,056 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Chance,

I thought about this.  Blue has a point about the credit card.  Many credit cards offer free extended warranties.  I would try to track down that transaction and see if the credit card can send you a copy of the charge receipt.  Being that you probably have only owned it for a year, that may not be as difficult as you think.

About requiring the receipt.  I'm a bit mixed about this.  I think if no receipt is available, the manufacturer should go back to the serial number and warranty it based on the manufacturing date.  I'f it was 4 years ago, so be it!  Just my thoughts.

I don't know.  What if it is stolen?  purchased from Ebay?  You have the be the original owner, the warranty is non-transferrable.  Maybe having the receipt is the only answer.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,360 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Did you try calling Ego? There may be something they can do.
Photo of Larry

Larry

Remember for warranty work, the blower or all ego tools for that matter must be purchased from Home Depot. Purchasing from Amazon, or other retail outlets will not work for warranty work. To register your product part of the process is that you must attach your receipt and if I am not mistaken, you also have to sign your receipt so that its readable. Having said that, the customer service people are very good to work with. They don't give you the run around. The company does stand behind their product.
Photo of Chance Buckman

Chance Buckman

As I stated above this was purchased from Home Depot for $179.00.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Ego products purchased from any authorized retailer are covered by Ego's warranty.

Per Ego's warranty policy (http://egopowerplus.com/pages/warrant...), the following are all currently authorized retailers:

Home Depot; Home Depot Canada; Amazon.com; Grainger; RC Enterprises; Mosess, Inc.; Despain Repair Shop; McAlpin Small Engine; Kuhn Turf Equipment; Steffeny Mower Sales & Service; Craig’s Power Equipment; Van’s Implement; Riggan Repair; Roger’s Yamaha; Rankin Sales & Service; OK Auto Parts; Boyd & Sons, Inc.; Marx Repair LLC; Nick’s Farm Store; Pankonin’s Implement; Pike Run Services, LLC; E-Z Sales & Engineering; Merz Farm Equipment; Dean’s Repair, Bobcat of Lima, Inc.; Como Mower Service & Sales, LLC.; Red Barn Trailer Sales, Inc.; Heil Bros Lawn & Garden Equip.; C & C Distributors; David’s Trailer & Hitch; C W Mower; JMF LTD.; S & S Auto Parts; Star City Motor Sports; JR's Village Repair, Midwest Mower Pro.; APC Liquidator; Mower Medic LLC
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 55,056 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for posting that, Dave
Photo of Larry

Larry

Thank you for the update on authorized retailers.
Photo of Larry

Larry

I just did a random search of the authorize dealers. http://mowermedicllc.com/ does not mention EGO products at all. http://www.apcliquidators.com/ Nothing listed http://www.midwestmowerpro.com/ Successful . I think the authorized retailers needs to be updated.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Not sure about the other two, but Midwest Mower is definitely still a major dealer with Ego featured on their homepage and the full product line (except HD exclusives) available online. They were one of the first dealers to get the new batteries and updated kits in stock last year. And Amazon was also just added to the list late last year.

It definitely seems like the authorized dealer list is kept very current.
(Edited)
Photo of Samuel Strong

Samuel Strong

• 2,060 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hello Chance,

Thank you for your post and we are sorry to hear your blower quit working. As David, and Blue Angel have stated, please contact us at 1-855-346-5656 and we will do all we can to make sure you are taken care of. We look forward to hearing from you.
Photo of Chance Buckman

Chance Buckman

I called customer service.
One idea suggested is to go to Home Depot and attempt to gain a copy of my original receipt.
If that isn't possible I may be forced to buy the blower only from Amazon.

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding the need for a receipt.
If I have the blower and it quits under the 5 year time limit shouldn't the serial number on the blower in question good enough?

Far as I can tell all these blowers with problems are under 5 years old.
Why not just cover defects without the need to wear down the users who purchased in good faith?

Even though frustrated by all this I do realize it was my responsibility to keep my papers in order and register in the appropriate manner.
My mistake also was expecting the EGO LB4801 to give good service for an extended period without problems.

Even if I do buy the replacement blower I'm now fearful of the EGO brand having reliability concerns.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Chance, calling your credit card company and finding out the date and amount of the transaction at Home Depot might be helpful before going into Home Depot asking for your receipt. That way they won't be searching through years worth of records trying to find it.

I think if you look at Ego's overall customer given ratings you'll find that people are overwhelmingly satisfied with their tools, their tools' performance, and the level of customer service available. No company makes perfect products where 100% of them function 100% of the time, but having a company that stands by their products and offers a lengthy and hassle free warranty service is a close second place in my opinion.

I think back to when I owned two Saturns. I did have a few issues here and there with those two cars but dealing with the dealership was such a painless process that the overall experience was not a negative one. Even the smallest warranty issue can become a massive problem if dealing with the dealership and the warranty process is a nightmare.

See what you can do to get a receipt. If you're able, I'm sure Ego's team will come through and get you fixed up.
Photo of Larry

Larry

Here is what I think. 
The serial number has no bearing on the start of the warranty.  In fact the piece of equipment could had been
made 5 years earlier and just housed in a ware house until it was sold. 

Registering the blower with the serial number and coy of receipt
is what starts your warranty.  Those two
identifiers are needed. 

I think that you would be very upset if you had in fact just
purchased the and EGO equipment, that broke and when the serial number was
looked up, only to find out that the blower is out of warranty before you
purchased it.  I think that would tend to
pi$s people off.
(Edited)
Photo of Chance Buckman

Chance Buckman

I went to Home Depot with a reference for what I thought might be the purchase of this item.
Unfortunately it wasn't the EGO.
I know I bought this using a Home Depot commercial card.
Spent three days looking thru saved CC statements and setting a Home Depot CC login so that I could find the purchase .

Time spent on this has been much too great.
EGO is a good company no doubt there.
I don't want this discussion to detract from the companies products or efforts with support for it's customers.

We can call this one resolved with no satisfaction for this customer.
This would be due to my own failure in record keeping.

I do appreciate everyone's input with this.
My best to EGO and all the happy customers.

Again Thank you all!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Thanks for your honest and thoughtful follow-up, Chase. All the best!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.