Bladed Edger

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

For yard work I like the clean edge that a bladed edger creates. Any chance that a bladed edger is in the plans? Either as a replaceable head for the string trimmer or as a standalone unit. If yes I will be all in: mower, string trimmer and bladed edger will be in my garage.
Photo of Gary Tucker

Gary Tucker

• 682 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your interest our EGO Power+ line of tools.  We have a lot of products on the horizon but we're just starting with the lawn mower, blower, string trimmer and hedge trimmer right now.  Feel free to check out our website to sign up for our newsletter on egopowerplus.com.  From there, you'll be updated as soon as new products arrive!
Photo of philphil

philphil

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same here, I already bought your mower and string trimmer. Looking forward to the edger.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 474 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Power Edger.

Power Edger.. I have a gas push edger for 25 years and love the clean cut edge. (Hate the neighbors weed whacking edger jobs).

If EGO would come out with a nice 4 wheel edger using the 4v battery system, fold up w/ handles like the mower for easy transportation, that could retire my gas and give me an extra battery for lawn care. I'd easily pay the price for this type of quality product. (as well as many other people I would think)

Photo of Dan

Dan

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, please make an edger or even if you could figure out how to do an attachment for the current trimmer, that would be awesome.  Also a shoulder strap would be nice for the trimmer as well.  Keep up the good work guys, solid products.
Photo of Robert Goodell

Robert Goodell

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Dan , I agree. I posted my feeling, but it was deleted by management.  I did not use profanity.
Photo of Gary Tucker

Gary Tucker

Robert, I got your post via email before it was deleted because I'm praying they'll create a bladed edger before I break down and buy another product. Can I say this without offending you? While I like your enthusiasm, your delivery of the message was a little aggressive.

Thank you Gary.  That was the reason we removed Robert's earlier post.  Obviously, we want people to feel free to express themselves but we think we can all agree that replies in a positive tone makes us feel a bit more comfortable to express ourselves.
Photo of Gary Tucker

Gary Tucker

I hesitated to put my comment out there for fear of initiating an argument with Mr Goodell but I decided to risk it. I hope he understands he needs to dial back the intensity level in the future. You guys are making some powerful, well thought out products. Keep it up.
56 volts, are you kidding me? My neighbor's wimpy 24 volt products will eat my dust! LOL.
Photo of robert goodell

robert goodell

• 62 Points
How's this .  The company should be constantly striving to maximize the utilization potential of their product line.  They have not done this with their edger ! There is no shame on Goodell, I tell it like it is.  This management team should be replaced for failure to improvise !
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The same management team that brought us the excellent products currently in the Ego lineup?

We don't understand what's going on behind the scenes, so I think it's rather unfair to jump to conclusions.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I didn't see the post before it was deleted but if he was only expressing his opinion and not personally attacking anyone here, then why was it deleted? Because it wasn't positive enough?

That's nonsense. I am also one to call it as I see it. Life is not all butterflies and hostess cupcakes. Things don't get changed until someone speaks up that's not willing to just go along with the crowd.

I couldn't care less about the edger now as I've puchased the worx edger/trimmer but there seems to be those still hoping that Ego will release one.

As I have mentioned before, I think some have a misunderstanding of how this forum really works. It's just to collect your ideas,. If your idea is along the lines the company wishes to go and it gets them further along their path, they'll take it and act on it, if not then you'll be thanked for your little contribution to the forum and sent along your merry way.

Of course, that's just my $.03.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Keep in mind that these replies are to a year-old post.  I haven't seen much deleting or heavy moderation around here.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I don't think moderation is the issue. I think the issue is the snail's pace at which Ego seems to be moving and they never even throw the customer base a bone on anything.

If they ever do plan to release an edger, 90% of the would be buyers would have moved on to another manufacturer who is willing to make and release the product.

I own the mower and blower. I have height issues with the mower...well documented...but overall I am pleased with the quality of the items.

I should not have had to go over to The Worx to get something that did a good edging job.

Moral of the story. Don't get complacent because you have a few items on the market. The competition is getting better every year.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm sorry, but I am in agreement with Rob here.  I've waited over a year for an edger, which is a staple for anyone who takes care of their lawn.  It isn't a piece of equipment that requires rocket science.  If EGO can put out a chainsaw which is definitely more niche than an edger, they can put out a nice dedicated edger.  I in all honesty don't know what the holdup is.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

David, What are you talking about.  The older you get, the shorter each day seems.  So to me, we started this thread not a year ago, but a month ago  :)
Photo of Rob

Rob

I still don't get the chainsaw to this day. I know a few may want one, but when you compare it to the number of people who have use for an edger, it's mind boggling. What was Ego thinking?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Maybe they're thinking the majority of people are using their string trimmers as edgers?

I'm not certain, but I have a feeling that bladed edgers are a more Southern thing. I personally have never seen one, in use or for sale, here in Canada. That certainly doesn't mean they don't exist up here, but I've never seen a bladed edger "section" at a store like Lowes or Home Depot.

I would imagine their popularity in the Northern States wouldn't be too far off what it is here, and may have a lot to do with regional landscaping trends and/or local grass species? Someone from a Northern State pleas feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

We used a hand edger in Ohio, but it wasn't often.  Northern grasses do not branch out by vines, thus edging is not necessary.  If you pulled up a map of the USA, grab a ruler and put it across the map from the northern South Carolina/North Carolina Border, and everything south of that edge.

You Yanks just don't keep a neat trim!
Photo of Corey Rome

Corey Rome

• 60 Points
So, if the logic for not developing a bladed edger is because folks in the north don't use them, then why develop a snow blower?  Folks in the south don't use them nor have I ever seen one in my local Home Depot or Lowes.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I live in the North and certainly use a bladed edger, just not all that often.

I don't think it's so much that Ego isn't developing an edger. It's one of their most-requested tools. It's just that as a new brand, they can't do everything at once.

Product development takes a while. Ego will be rolling out new tools, as well as updates to existing tools, for years to come.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Corey,

"YET"

They haven't released one yet. ;-)
Photo of Bob Stirling

Bob Stirling

• 60 Points
After using a gas edger for years, I just purchased the Ego Power Head and Edger.  I'm curious as to whether one can use a hose and sprayer attachment to clean just the blade and housing?  Being in the NW, the edger assembly can often get caked with mud and grass and the easiest way of cleaning would be to hose it off.  Concerned that the use of a hose and spray attachment might damage the blade housing assembly.  Open to all suggestions as to how to best clean the edger.

Thanks
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just dont get the power head battery area wet.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The manual doesn't specify not to use a hose, they just don't mention it at all:
Photo of Dalmightyone

Dalmightyone

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I can't agree more.   A bladed edger would be awesome.   I want and need one, but am holding out hope EGO will be coming out with one SOON.   
Photo of Robert Goodell

Robert Goodell

Don, it must have to do with battery duration time ( certainly not how to put a knife blade on a half inch shaft ).  I would like to have it.  If it only lasts 20 minutes, tell us this and we will decide if it is applicable.  That would be more than enough time for my needs !
Photo of andrew

andrew

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I couldn't Ask for any thing else. Well I could cause I want a snow thrower as well. My ryobi trimmer/bladed edger died last week. I've had the mower from ego for 3 weeks and sold 2 neighbors on it. They love it also after borrowing mine when their gas powered died in the last two weeks. I'm torn about getting the ego trimmer today as I love the look of a bladed edger. Decisions.
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
As the others, I am very enthusiastic about the EGO products.  I'm counting the minutes until I can get the mower, but I'm hesitating because of the string trimmer.  I too am hoping that a bladed edger will be made available as an option for this string trimmer, and not as a separate tool.  I know it can be done, as I have a set of 2-cycle tools sitting in the garage.  The key word, sitting.  I don't want the hassle of going 10 miles each way to get non-ethanol gas, then mixing it with the special oil, only to have to waste part of it because I don't use all I mix.

As a side note, I am a bit disappointed that Robert Goodell's post was deleted.  Although I didn't read it, it seems a bit heavy-handed to delete it somewhat for how he said it, and leaves people wondering what EGO didn't want people to read.  Maybe just the aggressive/unacceptable words could have been edited out?
(Edited)

Hi Kevin,  we removed the comment because of the aggressive language.  Unfortunately, we are not able to edit comments down to remove particular language and leave the rest of the comment.  Thanks for your understanding.
Photo of Robert Goodell

Robert Goodell

Kevin, Thanks for your support.  I was aggressive but did not use profanity.  Apparently, Ms VandeWater is the type persona whom would be offended if the football coach told her she would have to try harder in order to stay in the game !
Photo of Gary Tucker

Gary Tucker

Kevin, amen to all of your points above. I did finally purchase a competitor's string trimmer because I got tired of waiting (plus I don't like bump-head style string release). So I'm down to mower and bladed edger from EGO as possible purchases. I did see Mr. Goodell's post and it seemed a little too "rough", for lack of a better word, for a product request forum. You have no reason to trust my opinion but I think it was appropriate for them to remove it.
Photo of Ricky Panag

Ricky Panag

• 60 Points
Yes please.. I have the mower, hedge, and trimmer. but I'm having second thoughts now because the trimmer doesn't have blades or is not compatible with any 3rd party replacement heads. Can we use thicker line to make it last longer? I love all the products.. Just don't like stopping and pulling more line every 10 feet. ::frustrated::
Photo of Keith

Keith

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I purchased the mower, trimmer, and blower and like the products.  Like everyone else, waiting for the bladed edger as an attachment because it provides a cleaner and sharper edge.  I hope Ego does not have us waiting too long because I almost broke down and purchased a competitor's product today just to have it.
(Edited)
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 1,968 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Yes, edger please!
Photo of Derek Smith

Derek Smith

• 390 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

I'll buy the egder the day it comes out. I have the mower, trimmmer, and blower. They work great!! For now I'm stuck with a Ryobi 24v edger which does the job but I am addicted to the EGO products!

Photo of Steve

Steve

• 474 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Not interested in a weed eater conversion to a edger blade. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have a 25 yr old McClane push edger w/ a Kawasaki motor that looks as though would be $650 to replace for the same quality. My thinking is the if EGO offered a push edger with the same 4v battery as the lawn mower, I would definitely be first in line to purchase; plus I would have a backup 4V for my mower, which is the best! I own the mower, trim hedger, and blower... ECO rocks and can't wait for new products...  
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I retired my mclane 4 wheel edger and boy do I miss it. I'm in for a 4 wheel blade edger. Please!
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'd be happy if they just made it flip around and use some wheels as guidance and support. Blades are the best but I would settle for something like WORX has now. Small area so maybe I am a bit biased. Hoping the pricing will lower on the mower soon.
Photo of L W Peer

L W Peer

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I bought the little 24 volt edger/blower combo from Costco and returned it due to lack of power and run time.  I did like the wheel built into the trimmer guard which allowed me to use the tool as an edger.   I would like to see the existing guard modified to include a wheel so the string trimmer can be better used as an edger, then offered for sale to replace my existing guard please. 
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

It would be nice if they sold the mower without the battery for $150-$200 less.  It would be nice knowing a backup or replacement mower wouldn't break the bank (If mine got stolen or broken out of warranty).  

This is something we're looking into but at the moment, we haven't finalized any bare mowers for sale.  Thanks for your input.  We'll add your request to our list!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Coming from EGO, that means something.  Thank you.
Photo of Roberta

Roberta

• 70 Points
I use a Black and Decker trimmer edger by switching the head to an edger which makes the head vertices. I rarely if ever use it as a trimmer. Does the EGO have this feature? I want to buy the mower but am afraid it will be too heavy not being self propelled. I am 71 yr old female with bad knees but mow a large lawn. Am hoping for self propelled soon.
Photo of teresa

teresa

• 962 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Roberta, the mower is very light.  Home Depot is a good company that stands behind what they sell  Buy the mower next spring, try it out.  If it does not work for you return it. I seriously doubt you will returning it
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

If your lawn is pretty level, this is like pushing a toy, it is so light.

My best guess for next year will be a self propelled with 22" cutting area. A few other improvements. I'll enjoy the current mower for many years, who knows what my upgrade will be like when my five years of warranty is up! Maybe a mower with a battery that can charge while you mow, with solar. Five years is a long time. ;). I get excited with the advancements.

I have no regrets about this current mower. It is SO easy to push and work with. Heck, try one out and if it isn't up to your expectations, I'm sure Home Depot won't have a problem returning it. It's that good.
Photo of Roberta

Roberta

• 70 Points
SCDC thanks for your input. My lawn does have inclines and I use a self propelled gas now, am afraid to go without it. Was looking for input on the string trimmer, whether or not you can turn the head to use it vertically? Like your input on the possibility of a self propelled mower and even larger cut. Do you have a crystal ball? Haha!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Good morning Roberta, I wish I could see into the future! I been observing the  communications with EGO and also looking at the consumer feedback, then watching how they respond. The company isn't static, they really do flow with the input of people like you and I. An edger is probably in the works for spring, the demand has been great. I'm guessing with development cycles being so quick, and with competition, they watch our comments very closely.

The trimmer does not flip vertically, but you can edge with it as you would any other string edger. I'm not thrilled with edging like that, but willing to do it until they release a dedicated edging tool. The whole thing about going battery is that you buy into a ecosystem. No 2 brand of battery powered tools are interchangeable, meaning they each use their own propriety connection and design.

I went with ego because I could not find a more powerful setup and I really like the battery design. Once you buy into a system, you are stuck until you can afford to change. Unfortunately it will always be this way, unlike the good old fashion 120 volt A/C plug.

Good luck with your decision, and you are doing the right thing by researching before you let go of your hard earned money.
(Edited)
Photo of Nick

Nick

• 60 Points
Any updates from EGO (J. VandeWater??) on the possibility of a standalone edger product, or as an attachment to the existing string trimmer? I can imagine there will be one eventually, but it would be nice to know for certain one way or another if this is something that is in development. Then I would know whether or not to hold out for the EGO product vs. purchasing another brand for my edging and trimming needs. Knowing a little more about what EGO's plans are (re: edger product) would be very helpful and could 'lock me in' to wait until your version of the product is available vs. going to a different brand for my needs. I would prefer to stay with EGO since I already have the mower and am happy with it so far. If the plans are for an edging attachment that would go on the existing string trimmer, then perfect - I will go buy the string trimmer today so I can start using it and I will happily wait for the attachment to come out.

Thanks for your interest. We hear you. Really! We promise Power Beyond Belief: we will not introduce any new EGO product until it can deliver on that promise. As soon as we have any new products on the way, we will announce it right here. We promise!

It’s great that you like our products so much that you want more. We do hear you! We are gradually adding to our product line: the latest is the truly impressive EGO chain saw. We can’t say for certain what our next products will be but we can tell you that they will be in line with our rigorous standards for power and performance.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,194 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I too would like to see a blade edger available. I currently use the Ryobi 40v Edger attachment and it works okay but can't do heavy edging. Plus it shoots all the debris forward without any guard so I have to be very careful no one is around or a car won't be damaged. I am sure an Ego product would be more robust and safe. 
Photo of Matthew Sauer

Matthew Sauer

• 60 Points
I was just thinking today that I would like an edger as well.  All this while using my new Ego mower, trimmer, and blower.  Trimmer doesn't give me the edge I am looking for. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.