BLADE REENGINEERING DESPERATELY NEEDED!

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Under Consideration
POSSIBLE CARBON FIBER CROSS BLADE MULCHING BLADE FOR MOWERS. THERE ARE SO MANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CUT QUALITY FROM THE EGO MOWERS! SURELY EGO REALIZES THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THEIR MOWERS! I WANT TO LOVE THIS BRAND (SOME OF THE TOOLS ARE GREAT!) BUT THE MOWER IS THE CORE TOOL & I'VE PERSONALLY EXPERIENCED HORRIBLE CUT QUALITY, INCONSISTENCY, MOHAWKING & LEFT BEHIND MULCH PILES! EGO NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE OR RISK CONTINUING TO LOSE CUSTOMERS (BOTH CURRENT & NEW) THE HIGH LIFT BLADE SHOULD COME WITH THE MOWER ALONG WITH THE STANDARD MULCHING BLADE. MY IDEA IS FOR EGO TO REDESIGN THEIR MULCHING BLADE ENTIRELY OR OFFER THIS IDEA AS AN OPTION BUY. CARBON FIBER (FOR IT'S LIGHT WEIGHT, STRENGTH & JUST PLAIN COOL FACTOR! ) IN A CROSS BLADE CONFIGURATION. ANYONE WHO KNOWS LAWN CARE/SOIL SCIENCE KNOWS YOU HAVE TO MULCH TO SEND NITROGEN & NUTRIENTS BACK INTO THE SOIL. THE HIGH LIFT BLADE DOESN'T ACHIEVE THIS BECAUSE ITS MADE FOR BAGGING & NOT A TRUE MULCHING BLADE. IF THE CUT QUALITY IS NOT IMPROVED I MAY MOVE ON TO ANOTHER BRAND (SELLING WHAT EGO GEAR I HAVE). I BELIEVE IN BRAND LOYALTY BUT NOT IF IT TAKES ME 3 TIMES AS LONG TO PERFORM WEEKLY MAINTENANCE. IT'S JUST TO EXHAUSTING TO HAVE TO DOUBLE OR TRIPLE CUT TO GET THE DESIRED MOW! EGO..... THIS IS YOUR WAKEUP CALL!!!!! LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS! NEW INNOVATIVE TOOLS ARE GREAT BUT YOU NEED TO IMPROVE YOUR CORE LINEUP FIRST! I DON'T CARE ABOUT A PORTABLE AC/DC CONVERTER IF I WANT TO THROW MY MOWER ACROSS THE STREET EVERY WEEK OUT OF FRUSTRATION! MAKE ME BELIEVE IN THE BRAND SO MUCH I WANT TO BUY EVERY NEW TOOL YOU COME OUT WITH! IGNORE THE BASICS & YOU'LL GO BANKRUPT FIXING ALL THE BROKEN POORLY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS! CARBON FIBER MULCHING CROSS BLADE FOR YOUR MOWERS..... FIGURE IT OUT!
Photo of JOHN

JOHN

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • FRUSTRATED! IMPROVE THE CUT QUALITY OR KEEP LOSING CUSTOMERS!

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of JOHN

JOHN

Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,810 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
David - think you missed the point. he was SHOUTING!
Photo of walt dutchak

walt dutchak

• 1,624 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Yes!  This is one time when CAPS are justified. 
Without a promising response from EGO, the next missive could be CAPS + BOLD ...
(Edited)
Photo of John Olthuis

John Olthuis

• 406 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm not certain a carbon fibre blade would hold it's edge. Although strong it might shatter if it hit something hard. I envision hunk of fibre sticking out of my leg. :-) Now a Damascus steel blade, well that will cut and hold it's edge. Only issue is it would be $1,000 or more. LOL. I agree that something must be done about the blade. I'm cutting my lawn twice because I mulch and use the higher setting.
Photo of JOHN

JOHN

Carbon Fiber Body... steel REPLACEABLE cutting edge
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 7,618 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Fibres also doesn’t like impact much like diamonds - they are both suprisingly brittle despite being very strong, hence the least thing you’d want to do is to expose to sharp impacts....even a steel cutting edge would shatter the fibers behind it if you struck something solid
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,810 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Agree new design of blade needed. Some have modified non-EGO mulching blades and have gotten excellent results.
Photo of walt dutchak

walt dutchak

Very useful comments.  I hope EGO is listening!
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
As always, we're listening! We'll share your input with the product team today, too. Please keep up the excellent conversation! 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The blade that comes with the mower is a combination Mulch/Bag blade.  Just like the HL blade which is designed for extra lift and improved bagging has provided an improved result, Ego should develop an Super Mulch blade designed strictly for mulching and provide an improved result for those that mulch.
{I know some have experienced improved mulching with the HL blade, but I am sticking to design and intended use here}

Also, should make the 20" HL blade available in the US.  How hard can this be to get done
Photo of J. G.

J. G.

• 1,904 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Here! Here! I am in TOTAL agreement. However, John, may I strongly suggest consideration for the readers of your posts. Reading ALL CAP posts is most uncomfortable for your readers. I almost ignored it when initially I saw it.  Otherwise, it is very well written and succinctly stated. Please save ALL CAPS for impactful words only.  Applause! Applause! Applause!
Photo of Tom H

Tom H

• 432 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I don't have a EGO mower but I have a John Deere riding mower and John Deere makes special mulching blades to get the mulching job done properly.  The proper tool for the job usually produces better results.     Mulching is generally better for the environment and reduces the need for supplemental fertilization as much of the nutrients are returned to the soil.    Although not right for everyone EGO should support mulching to the greatest extent possible.  
Photo of Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke

• 838 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Great comment. Yes this problem needs to be re engineered. I am not sure lighter blade is solution. I tried a heavier blade with better results. High lift blade doesn't fix
problem just improves upon it....in dry climates mulching just increases thatch. The comments on this problem has been going on for two seasons that I know of. Shouting is appropriate
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Carbon fiber (and ceramic) are too brittle for use as a lawn mower blade.

I don't know what the ultimate solution is to improve cut quality, but it's neither of those.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agreed. I don’t think reinventing the wheel is called for in this situation.
Photo of walt dutchak

walt dutchak

Agreed; a well designed mulching blade would solve a lot of problems and put EGO mowers in the lime light.  I watched a video review that compared the EGO 21" mower to the Kobalt 80 Volt 21" mower on a steel deck. When the mowed grassed sections were compared one could easily see that the Kobalt did a superior job of mulching. 
I studied large jpeg images of both blades. The EGO blade does not have the characteristic "hump" or "warp" at each end like most standard mulching blade designs have.  The EGO blade just curves upwards or downwards at each end but does not have the exaggerated cutting "hump" which cuts the grass again at a different level.   Perhaps the EGO design was cheaper to manufacture and the designers assumed by their testing that just a slanted extra edge was enough to do a good mulching job, but tests by users appear to be disproving any such idea.
(Edited)
Photo of Larry S

Larry S

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, I agree 100% that something needs to be done to improve the cut quality. As I have posted before I really want to love this Ego mower but when I get done mowing and look back at my lawn I get so frustrated and start dreaming about my old Honda quadra cut.  I even switched to the Dual Battery unit in hopes of better results but even that outcome was only marginally better. I don't know if it is the rotational speed or the blade design. It doesn't mulch worth a crap with either blade, so I have just been bagging it, and trying everything I can think of to try and improve the cut quality on my Bermuda lawn. Why does miss cutting a whole line of grass when it was clearly inside the wheels, and why do the wheels seem to leave such deep trenches??? WHY WHY WHY... Can you just let me set the minimum speed on the motor, crap I have more batteries so if it drains the battery quicker but gives me a better cut then I'm perfectly happy to change batteries mid mow.  PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME GO BACK TO GAS!!! as I love the rest of the Ego tools.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nice collection Larry and quite the tidy storage area.