Black Walnuts and LM2101 / LM2102SP Mower Blades

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Bordering my yard is a huge, old Black Walnut tree: beloved by the squirrels (red, grey and black) and cursed by me. This tree drops Black Walnuts on the yard and garden throughout the year; but my lawn service – not I - has had to deal with the nuts each week during the mowing season. Per my recent post, I’m considering buying an EGO lawnmower (LM2101 or LM2102SP) so I (vs. the lawn care folks) can mow the front yard. Will these black walnuts ruin the cutting blade or pose a hazard to me if not removed prior to each mowing; or will they be “bagged” or “cut-up” and mulched? (I really don’t want to have to rake the yard prior to mowing; and the squirrels certainly don’t remove all fallen nuts in synch with the mowing schedule!!)
Photo of LillyJo

LillyJo

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brad Christie

Brad Christie

• 2,568 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I would say anything more aggressive than a blade of grass (acorn, walnut, branch, rock, etc.) has the potential to cause a problem and should he avoided at all costs since it's not what the machine was built to handle.

Repeated mowing with the same obstructions will eventually cause you to repair any mower. As far as how durable the ego is with such objects, hard saying not knowing. I'd also be concerned with warranty (I would imagine given the circumstance no company would support you mowing over these as a means of cleanup).
Photo of Alice Pieritz

Alice Pieritz

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I wouldn't try to mulch up black walnuts with any lawn mower, but the EGO mower I have handles pine tree fronds, small twigs/tree debris, and such as that without a problem.  Mulches the stuff right up without bogging down at all.  I have a yard that is bordered by woods on all sides...if the EGO couldn't handle some amount of tree detritus, I would have returned it immediately.  

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,394 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
LilyJo, I doubt the mower will effectively mulch and dispose of those walnuts... you're probably in for raking them before mowing. :-(
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 18,716 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Plan on raking them
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 65,916 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
When I was a kid our next-door neighbors had a huge black walnut tree that dropped a lot of walnuts in our yard. My dad either picked them up or chucked them back over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

I wouldn't mow over those even with a gas mower. You'll need to rake them.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Walnuts are hard. Mower blades spin fast. Bad combination.

Whether it damages the blade or not, you don't want to turn those into high speed projectiles. That would be almost as bad as running the blade while on a gravel road.
Photo of Tim Palmer

Tim Palmer

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If you have the blade set above 2.0 inches, it will cut right over them--maybe nick a few rinds.