Between mowing sessions...where to store battery?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: EGO Battery - Safe Storage and Sleep Mode?

I mow the lawn about weekly and don't use all the charge in the battery.   During that 7 day span, should I leave the partially charged battery in the mower?  Or charge it up anyways and leave it in the charger?  
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

I would advise leaving them 40-50% charged and take them out of the charger even though I charge my fully because I mow my lawn twice a week.  I do take them out of the charger though.  You can just leave them in your garage if you want.  If you don't have one, any place out of the elements should work for weekly storage. 

(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Letting the batteries sit partially charged between cuts is actually better for them. Charging lithium batteries to 100% charge and holding them there for long periods of time can actually shorten their life, albeit by very small amounts.

My personal approach is to cut the lawn and leave the depleted battery in a cupboard in the garage. The next time I'm wanting to mow, I put the battery on the charger an hour or so before I want to get started, then repeat the cycle. I only use about 1/2 the battey's capacity during a mow, so it's sitting at about 50% charge during periods of non use.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Blue, I understand why you do that but if I did that I'd never remember to charge them beforehand.  When I get off work, I come home, change up clothes and am outside cutting within 15 mins.  By the time I finish all my cutting, edging, watering, weeding, etc it's about dark.

If I take another half hour to an hour to mess with batteries, I'd never make it.  Mine only sit for 3 days max. 

Another contributing factor is that I know based upon what Ego has done with the trimmer and will probably do with the mower in another year that I won't be using this one as my main mower a lot longer and I will be moving on to larger batteries on this platform or another. 

(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Everyone's schedule is different, I totally get it! I would cut after dinner more often if it weren't for the Mosquitos demanding a meal! :-)

I doubt the impact on battery life is worth making a schedule change for... since I usually mow on Saturday mornings it's easy for me to pop the battery in the charger before getting something to eat, and by the time I'm ready to head out the battery is ready to rock.
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Living in the Houston area, the garage gets pretty warm in the summer time. Since I'm mowing the yard every 6 or 7 days, I fully charge each battery after use and then bring them into the house until the next use. After the final use this late fall I'll leave them about 30% charged in the house until next next year.
Photo of Doc

Doc

• 654 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You have a 3 year warranty, so if it starts acting up, just send it in. 

Just pull it out dead, and store it that way. I leave all my batteries in the garage, includes a li-ion dremel, and multiple power tools. Some of them are 7 years old, and still running like a champ. I wouldn't worry about it though. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.