Battery backpack!

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

Husqvarna has come out with there 36v volt chainsaw, but only available in the US in North America, but the that's not what I want to talk about, what I want to talk about is there idea of a battery backpack for the chainsaw and there other battery products, I don't know all the specs on the battery itself but I was just putting this out there as an idea for a new product. I got the EGO chainsaw for Christmas and it is wonderful, when it comes to power and getting through some fairly big and hard wood (14" maple) it has no problem and I have no doubt it can get through quite a bit bigger would that, the only issue I have with product is the life span of the battery (mind you its only the 2ah battery), on a full charge I have only been able to get 12-20 cuts on 10"-14" wood (maple), this is extremely inconvenient, seeing as where it takes forty mintutes to charge the 2ah hour battery on the standard charger, if I want to cut wood for a day or half a day I would need to buy two 4ah battery and the quick charger to be able to cut non stop all the time, just use one battery as the other one is charging, and really this is a good idea except for the fact that if I wanted to do that I would be out almost 600$!!! Which in my oppion is extremely expensive! So I was just putting the idea out there for a battery backpack which you would be able to charge through the night and use all day, because really thats the only way you can compare to a gas powered chainsaw, because filling up the gas tank doesn't take nearly as long as charging a battery... Now don't get me wrong, I love this chainsaw it feels great when your using it, its not heavy, and it does have amazing power, in the power regard it, does compare to an average gas powered chainsaw, but I can't cut wood all day taking 40min brakes every 15-20mins of working, and I can't afford to buy two of the bigger battery's (4ah battery) and the quick charger and be out 600$, becusae if that's what needs to be done then it would much more worth it to take all of that money and go and buy a very nice husky or sthil. If these changes could be taking into consideration, and maybe actually implimaented it would make your product unbeatable!! I really appreciate EGO allowing us buyers to give all of this feedback and would really appreciate if they actually took our idea into consideration (which I don't have any doubt that they don't). Thank you very much!
Photo of Noah

Noah

• 70 Points

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Noah, thanks for your feedback and suggestion.  We'll be sure to include this in our suggestions to our design team.  We'll keep you posted here if we move forward with this idea.  Thanks a lot!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Noah, if the cutting you are doing is getting you 12 cuts (minimum) out of a battery, and you averaged that out over 40 minutes (time to charge 2Ah battery), that's about 3 min 20 sec per cut (maximum).

That includes positioning the logs and anything else going on, and that time drops to 2 min if you're getting closer to 20 cuts per charge.

I would say you could keep that saw running pretty consistently with two 2Ah batteries, one on the saw cutting and the other on the charger, charging. If that still wasn't enough, adding a third 2Ah battery would surely keep you very, very busy, as well as giving the battery packs a few minutes to cool between uses/charges.

That would be a much more economical route than buying two 4Ah batteries and a fast charger. And even that route, as expensive as it may be, would be a lot cheaper than a battery pack that could keep the saw running all day on a single charge!

Food for thought. :)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I bought the mower, trimmer and blower and I never run out of juice. If you wanted to run all day, you would need a 12 ah battery, that would be heavy, that is why multiple batteries is the way to go. Get 1 more 2 ah battery and you will be good to go. I have 3 batteries for my ridrigid power tool set because that's how many I felt I needed, they are all 2 ah batteries, I could have gotten 4 ah batteries, but I didn't want the weight. One battery is never enough, 2 minimum, 3 is great.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I mow for hours straight, so you could cut for hours straight, that was my point .
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Here's a Hitachi backpack battery for their 36V system:

I picture something a lot more compact for the Ego system, something that's more like a simple spine that loads a battery pack from up top and another from below.

With two BA4200 7.5Ah packs on a backpack and a simple lightweight adapter on a cord, tethering a tool for serious run time would propel the Ego system into the world of professionals.  According to the specs claimed by Hitachi, this Ego system would have slightly more power and be slightly less weight.

Maybe a fanny pack style? :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I am going to make my own tether cable. All i need is a bad battery. Does anyone have a bad battery they want to sell me?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I just bought one, but that's because I have plans for it. :-)
Photo of Andy Morris

Andy Morris

• 664 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
They have one in Europe
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Yep. Would you spend 1000.00 on it? Im sure it is at least that much if not more like 1500.00
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Take the back pack blower, unbolt the blower, connect a cable that has a faux battery, and presto!  And most importantly, please MSRP it at $99. =)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The perfect solution! :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Exactly what i had envisioned. I like this guy (not you blue)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Doh! I guess I gotta work on being more likable! :-)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You need also to consider weight and balance.  If you pulled the battery from the chainsaw, it would definitely lighten it, but it would also affect the balance you have.  Your hand it at the back of the chainsaw (fulcrum) and the battery is just to the front of that.  This exerts the downward force of all the battery weight onto the chain at the front of the saw that stops the blade and it's assembly from  kicking back at you.

Second.  You must be an exceptional keener to want to cut straight for the whole day.  I find that I prefer to take some breaks between each cut to see what where is best to cut.  To move the cut off pieces away and stack.  This it time that is not spent cutting.  If you factor that into the model of charge time, the battery is not getting used when you are not cutting, but the charger is still charging.

Lastly.  Why are you using a 2.0ah battery?  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Taking too much weight out of the tool could be an issue in some situations, but for tools like the handheld blowers and trimmers I can see a definite advantage to keeping them light. The hedge trimmer could benefit HUGE from every ounce I don't have to keep suspended at or above eye level at arm's length. Heck, lets make the plastic bits out of carbon fiber and use magnesium for the moving bits!

aTE pointed out in another thread that he bought the mower second hand as a kit and the seller didn't mention that it was supposed to come with the larger 4Ah battery, including instead the 2Ah. Dirty!
(Edited)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,094 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I came close to buying off of Craigslist and eBay earlier in the year, but decided against it for this exact reason.  Everyone is trying to maximize their earning potentials, by splitting up the EGO kit and selling the battery and charger "separately" from the original kit.  In addition, EGO will not cover the "warranty" coverage if you don't have the original receipt from Amazon or HD, so in the end, it was not worth the headache for me.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
My comment was more directed at the OP and his chainsaw dilemma.  I agree that having an optional backpack battery holder that you could use with other EGO equipment would be a great idea.  

As for those sellers who are looking to short change the customer to maximize the profit, there is a special place in hell for them I am sure.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.