battery+will+not+charge

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

After running mower until red light appears and mower stops, I plug-in the drained battery to 30-minute charger, the first green light comes on, then after a few seconds all of the other green lights come on simultaneously--as if the battery is fully charged.  However, when placed back in the mower, the red light is back, the mower runs for 15 seconds and then dies.

I have no red lights on the charger.  It looks like the charger thinks the battery is fully charged when it is not.  Anyone had a similar problem?  I assume that the problem is with the battery rather than the charger. 
Photo of Christopher Hadaway

Christopher Hadaway

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Christopher, do you have another Ego battery or charger you can try out?
Photo of Christopher Hadaway

Christopher Hadaway

No, I do not.  The batteries are very expensive, so I do not have a spare.  I presume that Home Depot does not have a charger that I could use to test it.

I think it is the battery because it had been doing odd things lately even before the solid green line. The charging got "stuck" a few times with an orange or red first bar instead of the green (if I am remembering the color correctly; but it wasn't green). I removed the battery from the charger, waited a few minutes, reinserted it and then it resumed charging. 

This time I had a full charge, mowed for 30 minutes or so, and then got the green bar after I tried to charge it.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Others have had similar issues. You will need to speak with customer service. I am sure they will have steps to test your battery and charger and be able tohandle it from there. I certainly hope they don't send you to Home Depot.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Christopher, HD certainly would have a spare charger from a display unit. If they're close by and it's not much effort you could go that route to determine the issue. You might try calling ahead to make sure it's ok with them.

If not, give Customer Service a call at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) 8:30-8:00 M-F 10:00-6:00 S/S.

If they're not available by phone send them an email at:

support@egopowerplus.com

Include your contact information, a description of the issue you're having, and make sure your tools and accessories are all registered:

http://egopowerplus.com/pages/registe...

Someone from the Customer Service team will get back to you ASAP, help troubleshoot your problem and get you the help you need.

As long as you bought your tools from a registered dealer, they are covered by Ego's 5 year tool and 3 year battery warranty:

http://egopowerplus.com/pages/warrant...
Photo of C. Kirk Hadaway

C. Kirk Hadaway

Battery charged at Home Depot using their slow charger. I considered getting a 45 minute charger but charging stopped after 15 minutes and had to be restarted before continuing charging. After mowing and discharging my fast charger worked, but intermittently a few more times. Once it acted fine, but other times it showed a full charge after a few seconds, but worked fine after waiting an hour and putting it back in the charger.
I finally heard back from customer service. They thought it wasn't clear if it was a problem with battery, charger or both. They replaced both and I have had no problems since.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.