Battery vents on the 530, 575, and 580 handheld units and a few other improvements.

• Idea
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Under Consideration
The details are in this video: https://youtu.be/LnI012KNdkI

Also, backpack blower power: https://greenworkscommercial.com/product/82v-backpack-blower-pt-tool-only/

This is Greenworks's new dual port backpack blower that does 690 CFM at  165 mph, if it lives up to those numbers, it is a 28 newton blower.  I say it's time for EGO to eclipse them (of course I would say that, I'm always asking for more power)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 12,974 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,224 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
So will you be adding battery vents to your Ego blower to prove the concept
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

I sure will, especially since I have a spare outer shell to work on.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Now we're talking !
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

There is actually a few problems with putting these vents in.  I discuss them here: https://youtu.be/AKGi72NAsfc

Most essentially, there is a whole bunch of plastic that is in my way. Removing that plastic might cause problems... I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to try it anyway, but I give probability that I will do it anyway at 65%.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Thanks for the update.
Perhaps explains why ego did not do it. 
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

I do wish that I would have suggested this before their new 580 unit.  They just might have been able to restructure the plastic in a way to accommodate this kind of thing better -- having round support beams inside perhaps, instead of mini walls.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 52,554 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Have people been having problems with their batteries overheating on the blowers? Because I certainly haven't.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

The 2.5Ah packs sometimes get hot to the point where the battery's power shut-off activates, especially in hot weather.  The battery will not overheat because of that feature, but still, I do not like the idea of not being able to finish a discharge cycle before the battery gets too hot to run.  I cool it down by having one of my Greenworks units blow air through the pack, and the air that comes out is so hot that is almost uncomfortable to put my hand directly in front of.  Both of my 2.5Ah packs do this, but not my 2Ah packs, and based on the way these packs run on the units, the 2.5Ah packs cannot handle the current drain as well as can the 2Ah packs can.  Besides, if I were EGO, I'd put these vents on units anyway just to make doubly sure the batteries stay cool and last the longest.  Heat like that isn't exactly good for the batteries.  The only reason they survive is because of that power cut-off at what was it, I believe 158 degrees fahrenheit, and the phase changing bands around the cells.  Again, these are the best-designed batteries I've seen, but I'd recommend this upgrade.

Another interesting thing, after the batteries got hot, rapidly cooling them down by blowing cold air through them with my Greenworks unit seemed to have made them be able to handle more current than they could before, I mean cold air that is about 45 degrees fahrenheit blown by a greenworks 80V gen 2 unit with the fan spinning at about 220 revolutions per second.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,726 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So if Ego’s well thermally Engineered batteries are warming up, guess what happens to their competitors 1P batteries?!? :-)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

The Greenworks batteries do not generally get that hot because not as much current is drawn from them because of the large number of cells in each pack (in series). Also, I'd dare say the Greenworks packs (the small ones) are better ventilated, and the chargers are better at moving air through the pack (other than maybe the EGO rapid charger).  Stihl and Husqvarna are also pretty good, but almost all of the others are not well designed.  Bosch's professional 36V packs use metal heatsinks instead of air ventilation.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,726 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Air circulation is trumped hard by phase change cooling wraps. ;-) Any tool that draws air through the battery while operating will also plug the battery up with debris, reducing the effectiveness of air circulation over time.

You have a point in that, for a given power output, a 1P 80v pack with 20 cells in series will have a lower power draw per cell than Ego’s 14 cell 1P pack. But again, PCM cell wraps keeps temperatures where they’re supposed to be.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

The first part is a decent point, the dirt kicked up by the blower would be a problem.

The second part,  "PCM cell wraps keeps temperatures where they’re supposed to be." For the most part, yes, but it is still possible to make the battery hot, and I can really notice it, at least with my 2.5Ah packs, affect the performance.  I do not think the issue is that critical, and it can be avoided by running the unit at a lower power.  People who only use the pack a few times per week should get a decent amount of longevity out of the pack, I'm not sure about an excellent longevity, but we will really know for sure when a few years from now people start bragging (or complaining) about how long their 2.5Ah packs have lasted on this very forum.