Battery Trade-In / Refurbished Sales

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Trade-In Program

I am thrilled to see that new larger batteries are coming soon, but I have to wonder if I will be able to justify the cost of buying one. The 7.5ah battery would enable me to cut my whole yard on a single charge, but it would leave me with little use for my 4.0ah battery. I have tried using it in the hedge trimmer, my only other tool, but much prefer the weight of the 2.0ah battery.

On a related note, I have told many friends and family members about how fantastic Ego products are, but the prices for a tool and battery are prohibitively expensive. Of course there may be a flood of used batteries coming on the market soon, but it would be a big risk to replace equipment with Ego products that rely on a used battery of unknown condition with no warranty.

Ego could solve both problems by offering a trade-in program, issuing a coupon or credit toward a new battery in exchange for your current battery. Ego could test these used batteries and resell them with some sort of warranty or quality guarantee. They shouldn't cannibalize new battery sales significantly, but would enable a cheaper entry price for new customers. The core tools without a battery are very affordable, but the additional $100 for a battery and charger doubles the price of a first Ego purchase. A $20 price break for a certified used 2.0ah battery could be just enough to win over a customer who balks at the price when a new 2.5ah battery is included.

Because of shipping costs, this would probably need to be an in-store trade-in program coordinated with Home Depot. (Logitech has offered a similar program at Best Buy, where customers can bring in their current product for an instant discount on the latest and greatest version.) Perhaps new ground for Ego and Home Depot, but definitely not unprecedented, and I know Home Depot already has established reverse/inbound logistics.

So a trade-in program would drive sales for new batteries, but also entice new customers and grow the Ego ecosystem (Ego-system?). This would add value for both current and new customers, as well as increase market share and revenues for Ego. The proverbial win-win-win.

In summary, I really want a discount on a new 7.5ah battery!
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,268 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Tommy Reed

Tommy Reed

• 60 Points
I agree, I have a need for the larger battery sizes.  I look forward to their coming available.  Any Idea when they will be available!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,200 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I think a trade-in trade-up plan could work, something like what the cell phone companies offer... an opportunity for you to trade up to the latest gear for a reduced price.

It would probably make the most sense for the batteries since they're small and easy to ship and store, but for Ego to sell them as Certified Refurbished they would have to know how much life expectancy the battery has left. I'm not sure if they have any kind of health monitoring in the battery electronics or whether a discharge test would need to be done to determine the battery's condition.

It would also help to keep customers in the brand, since the batteries are a very expensive part of the system. Offering a discount for trading in your old battery on a new one could be a great way of rewarding the customer for their loyalty.

Interesting idea. It will be interesting to see how the whole cordless outdoor power equipment market plays out, and how Ego evolves with it. Nothing like this has grown out of the cordless hand tool market yet, that I'm aware of anyway.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,940 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Good morning Blue,

Batteries are so highly regulated by our belated high and mighty government, due to chemicals, that I wonder if they would even do a trade in.  I bet the recertification process, EPA considerations, and who knows what else, could make this rather costly.

I do think selling a recertified battery would be great and put a test result on it, promising a % of battery life for a year.  Or maybe simply give a coupon for X amount of dollars towards the purchase of X battery after you register your product and the return period expired.  So, say valid 90 days after purchase.  They could get burned by opportunists.

Tough call. 

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Good points...
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,068 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi everyone, we love the idea of the trade-in program.  We're always open to suggestions.  It's not something we've implemented yet but we'll certainly keep you posted if this is something we can make happen.  There is no trade-in program at this time unfortunately.

We actually had a similar thread in regards to a trade-in program for the 12" vs. 15" string trimmer here: https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/upgrade-offer-for-12-trimmer-to-15-trimmer
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,268 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Jennifer!

I did see that other thread and read through it before posting, however there are far more customers (100%) who have batteries, and all of the current batteries are about to be eclipsed by a new version that has more power for the same size and weight. I am sure that eBay and Craigslist will be more than happy to accommodate the market for selling used batteries, but Ego has an opportunity to control that market and add value at the same time.

I'm sure the new batteries will sell fine, and I'll definitely keep an eye out for a good deal on used ones on eBay. If a used one sells for half the price of its larger counterpart new, who wouldn't want the cheaper used battery?

I thought the batteries were Ego's core competency and competitive advantage, and thus the core profit driver. But perhaps I'm wrong.
I would be interested in a trade up across the board. I love my mower but self propulsion wasn't available at the time and a large reason why I initially hesitated on the purchase. Now I see they have a walk behind and I'm kind of bummed because the one I have works so great.
Photo of DJ

DJ

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have four 2 amp batteries (3 blowers, 1 trimmer) and one 4 amp battery(lawn mower). I would love to see a trade up program. I am fine with the 4, but would love a 7, but even on sell at zoro for $269, ($337 reg but 20% off until tomorrow)I can't justify the cost just for a battery alone. If EGO implemented a trade up I would be on board in a heartbeat.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
EGO Team, any news on a fourth coming battery trade-in program?
Photo of iAmMax

iAmMax

• 696 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I don't think EGO would necessarily need to do a trade-in program exclusively with HomeDepot. Where I live there is a local chain (it could be national for all I know) specialty retailer called batteries plus. There are probably many other stores like this across the country and in Canada also. I think these retailers could be a perfect fit for a EGO battery trade-in program.
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 276 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I current agree more!! I am in for a 7.5ah battery and I have 2 mowers, 1 snow blower, 1 trimmer and the backpack blower..and thinking of the chainsaw in the spring... I love the products !! .. but here in Canada the cost to buy 1 7.5ah battery is almost $500.00 with taxes. That is ridiculous!! I cant justify paying that amount for one battery. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

You must be getting a discount... it's listed as $559 PLUS taxes:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.56...
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Quite honestly, I would like to see battery prices drop, across the board.  The 7.5ah shouldn't be so high.  It's my battery of choice for everything but weed eating and hedge trimming.
Photo of Greg

Greg

Especially because we are environmentally friendly with no gas and fumes. 
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Eh, it takes fumes and gas to create the poison filled batteries, and power plants to charge them.  I don't buy the whole "Environmental" thing.  I choose electric for the convenience.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,160 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes. But you could get a solar panel and charge them that way. Lawn mowed by the sun :). Why EGO doesn't have a solar charger? I don't know. Oversight perhaps.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Solar is definitely a step in the right direction.  Sure energy and toxic stuff is used to manufacture them, but they last a long time, thus lessening the environmental impact.  But, they are way too expensive still.  I say we will see efficiency and cost become much more tolerable in the next 20 years.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,160 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
A small panel would work. It has about a week to charge it.
Photo of Greg

Greg

Agreed .. a step in the right direction... albeit a small step but better than the volume of gas operated machinery we have today!!
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Upgrade offer for 12" trimmer to 15" trimmer.

Has any consideration been given to offering and upgrade/trade-in offer to those of us that bought the 12" string trimmer? Given all of the line feed problems with the bump head, I think it would be a very customer-centric thing to do. We took a chance in investing in your new technology. All of your products are a giant leap forward in the industry, but the number of customer complaints about the string trimmer indicate that maybe your first attempt was not your best.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.