Battery storage suggestion

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: EGO Battery - Safe Storage and Sleep Mode?

I emailed Ego about this last week but never got a reply. I just purchased an Ego lawn mower, string trimmer and blower. All have their own battery and charger, so I have a total of 3. I only have a small lawn and think that I will only need to use one battery. What is your suggestion for maintenance of my other 2 brand new, unused batteries? Is it better to cycle the usage between the batteries, or just store them and keep them unused?

Thank you!
Photo of Vincent

Vincent

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Vincent,

The beauty of it is that you don't have to do a thing.  After 30 days the two unused batteries will self discharge to about 30% which will be the optimal storage voltage.  Just keep in a cool dry place and you will be gold.  I believe only EGO does this with their batteries.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
To add to what SCDC said, the Ego manual suggests charging the battery packs every six months during periods of extended storage. Other than that, you're good to go.

If I was in your situation I think I would be tempted to cycle my way through the packs as often as possible. They have a 3 yr warranty on them, so why not use them all as much as possible while they're covered? In the rare case one of them has an issue at least you'll find out about it while it's covered.

If after a few rounds with your lawn you are absolutely certain you won't need the extra batteries, you could always sell one of them. I myself would always want at least one spare just in case... :-)
Photo of Vincent

Vincent

Thanks for the quick response! Do I need to charge them again after X number of months to make sure they won't go totally empty? I'm not sure how long it will hold the 30% charge. Not also sure how long it has been in storage at Home Depot.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No sir, you do not.  They will trickle down a little, but quite honestly will be fine for years.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Just for reference, here's a clip from the manual:
Photo of Vincent

Vincent

Thank you to both of you! I like the idea of cycling them every once in a while to use it during the warranty period. Who knows, my battery might be dead right from the box without me knowing it!
Photo of Gerry Litvin

Gerry Litvin

• 1,092 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
With my recent 5/16 purchase of the 21"mower and new blower at HD, I got two free 2.0 AH batteries.  They were both manufactured in Nov. of 2014 according to the label on the battery which makes them both over 1.5 years old although they are both new in a package. I hope they are OK as obviously they were not fully charged every 6 months as the manual states. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

It's my personal opinion that the batteries are good to go for years with the 30% capacity they have in storage mode.

It's also my opinion that the manual recommends charging every six months so that if someone completely depletes a battery to the point where the tool will no longer operate, it will still be good to go six months later. If I had to guess, the "charge every six months" thing is more lawyer speak than Engineer speak.

Once again, my thoughts, not Ego's. :-)
Photo of Gerry Litvin

Gerry Litvin

• 1,092 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your opinion Blue.  It would be nice if we could get an official comment from Jennifer or someone from EGO.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If I had to guess, I'd say their official comment is probably the one in the manual. ;-)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Gerry, Blue is right. What we wrote in the manual is the "official comment" from us. :) Just to be on the safe side, maybe try charging both of your new batteries at least once to make sure there's no issue.  You should also charge them twice a year, if you aren't using them regularly, just to check in on them.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Battery storage/sleep mode improvement.

I suggested this on another thread, but I'd like to post it as a full blown idea. I think that EGO should put a storage mode switch or button onto the batteries so that way when a battery is charged fully, there isn't a 30 day delay before it goes into sleep mode, for that is 30 days for the battery to lose charge capacity, and somebody who works with RC airplanes talked about loss of capacity on this forum, though I do not remember which thread. In any case, I know that Toro had a switch on its 48V chargers and I think that having the switch on the batteries would be more effective and it would extend the lifetime of the batteries pretty significantly.  Of course have it be something somewhere that will not be accidentally bumped.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.