Battery status lights on mower don't seem to be working right.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Solved
My mower and my 2.0 amp batteries were purcased in May 2016. Yeterday, the first time I ran the mower this year, the battery in the mower only worked for a few passes before the red light came on. I figured it was the 30% capacity they are at when not used for a period of time. the battery on the rapid charger, which seems to be working great showed the battery had a full charge. I put that battery on the mower and when it powered up, the light was red. I was able to finish the yard with it showing red and it still had power. When I put the mower up, I took the battery off the charger and put it in the mower and put the other battery on the charger. The wife went out to mow this morning. She started mowing and got about the normal amount of mowing done when the light on the battery turned red. She said that she mowed considerably more then she usually can on the red light. It finally quit, so she put the second battery in, that had been on charger over nigh and it ran for about 4 passes and the red light came on. She was able to finish the yard on that battery. What is causing this to happen, any suggestions?
Photo of John

John

• 722 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Looks like you are still within the 3 year warranty period of the batteries and well within 5 years on the mower so give customer service a call. They will help you. Best to call early in the day to avoid hold times.

They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

PS, I'm not sure how good it is to run for long periods of time when the battery is red. I've done 10 minutes on red once or twice with no ill effects but don't know how long or how often is safe.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If the batteries are working normally there should be no issue running in the red, the tools and batteries have protection to keep things safe.

If the charge indicators are not working properly then I’m not sure... might be best to play it safe?
Photo of John

John

• 722 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Normally, once the red light comes on, I can usually only do a couple more passes on the lawn before the motor will slow down, and I need to change the battery. That is why I am concerned about it running long enough with the red light on to almost do the whole lawn. I went out yesterday, started the mower with a freshly charged battey on it and the green light came on as it normally does. I don't know if it is a problem to be worried about or not. If it is something serious, I need to get it fixed while everything is under warranty.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Absolutely!