Battery seems to discharge within a week

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

I bought the string trimmer with the 2.5 milliamp battery and I love the convenience and power it gives. I've run into an issue, however. The past two times I go to use it the batter seems to have dumped it's charge. I will remove​ and reseat the battery​ on the charger and it will begin charging. Usually charges fully inside of one hour and is good to go. This has occurred twice. Basically, the battery is not ready to when I need it. I usually trim my yard once a week to stay on top of things. I find this issue very inconvenient. I do leave the battery on the charger when it is not in use so I'm going to try leaving it off the charger to see if the issue occurs again. Reading the battery manual it mentioned that the battery will perform a self maintenance and discharge itself after a month of storage but this seems to be different. Any insight or solutions would be appreciated.
Photo of Brad

Brad

• 186 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • inconvenienced

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The Battery Management System (BMS) will drop the battery charge level to 30% after about 30 days.  Yours has a problem whereby the BMS is discharging it prematurely, and then continuing it down to RED.  I had the same problem with a 5.0 AH, and Ego replaced the battery.

One thing you can do to bound the problem is see how long it takes to go from fully charged to RED; mine was within a week, maybe 4-5 days.  Just press the battery button every day and see when it goes RED.  Then give this info to Ego CS when you call for the replacement.
Photo of Brad

Brad

Thanks for the info. I figured the battery was defective. I hope this doesn't continue after they replace the battery. Do you leave your battery on the charger after it's fully charged?
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
pull the battery off the charger when it is done.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You can pull the battery or leave it on the charger, it's up to you.  Either way, it shouldn't go into 30% storage mode until 30 days has passed.

(a)Typical Engineer

I do both; sometimes I leave the battery on, sometimes I remove it.  What I do not do is leave the charger powered, nor do I charge unattended.  Sure, no Galaxy 7 disasters have been reported, but you wouldn't want to be the first one!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,094 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Since I store my battery and charger inside the house, I normally unplug the charger after the battery is fully charged.  I leave my used batteries on the "unplugged" chargers during storage, until I am ready to "recharge" it for yard work the following week - as I don't store my battery at FULL levels, but around 30% to 40%!
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,294 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Brad, that’s not normal. Fortunately, your battery has a three year limited warranty. Give us a call: 1-855-346-5656
Photo of Brad

Brad

I've tried calling several times. Never can seem to get through.
Photo of Amber F.

Were you able to leave a message? Our customer service team is doing their best to address everyone in a timely manner, but if you left a voicemail, they’ll definitely be in touch with you shortly.
Photo of Brad

Brad

I attempted to leave a message and it said that the voice mailbox was full. You're the first person I've been able to talk to.
Photo of Brad

Brad

Spoke with customer service and was advised to allow battery to charge then remove from the charger. Also advised not to charge overnight. I will update if this fixes the issue.
Photo of Amber F.

Outstanding! Let us know what happens.
Photo of Brad

Brad

Update on this issue. I charge the battery then I remove it from the charger. If I use it right away there is no problem and it functions just fine. If I don't use it the battery discharges itself completely within a few days. Upon putting it back on the charger I get a flashing green light on the charger itself indicating that it is charging however the charger makes a clicking noise and sounds like a cooling fan in the charger starting and stopping. If I remove and reseat the battery I get the same clicking/starting/stopping sounds. If I completely unplug the charger then plug it back in and reseat the battery it seems to work properly. Again when it works it's works great and I get almost 40 minutes of run time. As a work around I will put the battery on to charge while mowing the grass and it is usually done by the time I need the trimmer. It just seems like this battery and charger aren't functioning as intended.

(a)Typical Engineer

If the battery is going dead within a week, your BMS is defective and is draining the battery.  You'll notice that the end of the battery near the button is warm also; which indicates the battery is self discharging.  Your battery is defective and Ego should replace it.  I had the same issue with a 5.0 AH battery.

(a)Typical Engineer

Here is a video of a defective battery, and the comment for that video:

"Ego 56v, standard (not fast) battery charger, 5.0 AH battery. Voltage across the terminals is less than 36V. The charger fan is running constant (normal), but a relay can be heard clicking on-off, and the power indicator on the battery is fast flashing red. The 5.0 AH is a 14S2P battery, 36V divided by 14 cells is 2.5V per cell, just about the absolute minimum that 18650 cells should be drained to."

This battery was replaced by Ego under warranty.

Photo of Brad

Brad

Yes. This is exactly what mine is doing.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.