Battery run time- LM2000-S EGO 56V Lithium-Ion 20"Cordless Lawnmower with 5Ah battery

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
The 5 Ah battery dies within 34 min and EGO customer service says it is normal. The blade was set at 5 and the load was normal too. It should have lasted for at least 45 minutes to a maximum of 60 minutes. The mower was purchased in November 2017 and has been used only one season and has no other issues. Is there any other user with similar issue? 
Photo of Prasanth Maddipati

Prasanth Maddipati

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,840 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Run times are only estimates and vary with differing lawn conditions (height, thickness, moisture)

Prasanth Maddipati

The grass is not think at all and the lawn was mowed last Wednesday. I did the test on Saturday because the customer service asked me to record the run time.  So, grass hasn't grown a lot from Wednesday to Saturday and the weather was ~70F. 

(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
How often do you sharpen your blade?  My run time drops like a rock with a dull blade, especially on damp grass.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,840 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Spring and wet and growing like crazy in my area, so you just assume.

How long has the battery lasted on average in the past ?

I would call CS again and kindly state that the run time has diminished beyond normal aging/degradation and thus I should receive a warranty replacement. If you feel that is the case.

Prasanth Maddipati

It lasts about the same, 25 to 35 min. CS agreed to replace the battery under warranty. Thanks for your suggestions.
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,196 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Yep, sharp blade all the difference. Have a 2nd , and rotate them...
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 20,460 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
run time is also reduced if u use a High Lift blade due the additional power it takes to spin that particular blade.

Prasanth Maddipati

ok, thanks for the suggestion.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,068 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Runtime has so many things that can affect it, and is not a reliable indicator of battery capacity.

I'd suggest you buy a Kill-A-Watt type meter and hook it up to your charger. Then, discharge the battery down to a known point (I use the point when the red light on the mower first comes on, some people use the point where the mower completely shuts off).

Measure how much power the charger takes to refill the battery. (This is related to, but some amount larger than, the amount of capacity your battery has.)

You can compare these measurements over time to see how things are going.  To see how my 7.5 AH batteries stack up, you can read this post I made:
https://www.summet.com/blog/2018/07/11/degregation-of-ego-7-5-ah-lawnmower-batteries-over-time/

Prasanth Maddipati

Thank you, i will try to do the test.