Battery reporting high temp in low temps

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Answered
The other day, after a couple inches of snow fell, I popped a freshly charged 2.0 battery into my handheld blower. I walked out to the car to blow off the snow and about 15 seconds in the blower died and flashed red like a dead battery. I grabbed the 2.5 off the other charger and proceeded to get the job done. 

I keep the batteries and chargers in the garage, which was about 25 degrees that day. 

After clearing snow off of both vehicles, I put the 2.0 battery back on the charger and it went solid red, indicating an overheated battery.  I tried several times and kept getting the same thing. I then took the charger and battery in the house and after a few hours of warming up I was able to charge the battery. I put both batteries in my snowblower and was able to do my driveway, so the battery appears to be working fine now. 

The battery has a build date of 05,2014. 

Is it normal for the batteries to not work properly when cold?
Photo of Frank C

Frank C

• 988 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,940 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I know that LiIon batteries lose some capacity when cold. They also should not be charged when their temperature is under 32 F (0 C), as putting power into them at low temperatures can damage them. (But you ARE allowed to discharge them when cold, but you won't get as much power out of them....)

I don't know...but I suspect...that the battery BMS is using the solid red light as a "Temperature out of range" warning, for both high temps (much more common) but also to prevent you from charging when the battery is frozen.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,276 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Manual says to charge when the battery is above 37 degrees.

And are you saying you run your snow blower with a 2.0 and a 2.5

(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,260 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, can't imagine much performance out of a 2 and 2.5 ah battery in the snowblower since the manual says use 2 4ah or higher batteries.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,582 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
What the snow blower needs is a lot of torque and those batteries are eventually going to overheat or probably cause the motor to overheat and shut down.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Fortunately, my garage is well insulated and doesn't get below mid 40s, so I'm good on charging and storage of the batteries.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Frank, my garage stays above freezing and I’ve always kept my Ego batteries out there. However, I left a battery in my snowblower right by the door overnight and the same thing happened; it went red when put on the charger. I brought it inside for a couple hours, after which it charged fine.

I believe what summetj is saying is true, that the red light on the charger indicates both high and low temperature warnings.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,256 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
right there in the manual in black and white (and yellow)
Photo of Ira Hellman

Ira Hellman

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
All: While the guidance has been helpful, in re the battery strength note that the questioner is asking about his hand-held (leaf) blower, not a snow thrower/blower. He said he used it to blow snow off his car, not clean his driveway.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Correct. And that's a concern, too. Some people have reported having their leaf blowers short out when snow gets ducked into the intake.

But the main problem here is storing the batteries in the below-freezing temperatures of his garage.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ira, you're correct. And that part got addressed pretty quickly with Szwoopp's reply. But OP also said he uses those same batteries in the snow blower so there is a bit of an opening there to discuss the battery to use in the snow blower.
Photo of Frank C

Frank C

I appreciate the responses. Yes, my original issue occurred with the batteries stored in the garage, using the leaf  blower. I just picked up the snow blower a couple of weeks ago, and used it for the first time this week.  For the last 3 years all of my batteries were stored inside my home, since I had no need for them in the winter. After reading the replies, and seeing sub zero weather in the forecast, all batteries and chargers have been moved inside. 

After successfully charging my 2.0 battery I used it, and the 2.5, in the snowblower, as the other batteries were charging. They worked just fine for the small amount of snow I had left to clear. I don't plan to make a habit of using the smaller batteries in my snow blower. But in a pinch they work just fine. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,908 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the follow up Frank.  Sounds like you got things in order.
My concern was over taxing your smaller batteries, but by your response, I think you understand Egos recommendation to use larger batteries and are using them accordingly.

William E Hanson

Frank, you should invest in a Rapid Charger if you don't already have one that would be shipped with the snow blower, unless you bought the bare tool.
Photo of Frank C

Frank C

I have 2 rapid chargers and one regular. I own 8 Ego products. 

William E Hanson

Frank, you're right there with me; it's hard to resist once you've used one of the tools. Would be nice if EGO makes the chargers optional when purchasing a tool with just the battery. Not good to waste resources with untold chargers laying around in garages/workshops. I will buy more tools, as they're released, but don't want/need more chargers, but batteries are most economical bought with the tool.
Photo of Frank C

Frank C

The only Ego tool that did not meet expectations so far was the backpack blower, which I returned. Otherwise I've been very pleased.I was able to sell my extra chargers and batteries on Ebay.