Battery overheat... really?

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • In Progress
Hi,
I bought a LM2100 mower in 2017 (5.0Ah battery).  First year went A-1.  It could stand the hour and half that I need to cut my lawn.  Then, by the end of last summer, I started to get a motor cut off with a solid orange indicator lighting up on the mower (battery push button lights up green). Now I do get this every time after 30 to 45 minutes of usage.  From what I understand, this means the battery overheats but taking it out of the mower, it does not feels hot at all, certainly not over 70 celcius.  Unfortunately, I do not have another one to compare with.  Anyone has experience this? Does it sound to you like a battery issue?
Thanks.
Photo of Jean-Francois Morin

Posted 5 months ago

  • 1
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

  • 14,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Call them they're quite good with warranty replacements.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

  • 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yes call customer service at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656); call early to avoid hold time.
Photo of Paul Sommer

Paul Sommer

  • 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I had this problem after a year or so of use.  I stored my battery in the garage and I charged them in the garage, immediatley after use.As it turned out, my garage gets very hot in the summer and stays that way, making the battery think its hot, too. 

I went on this very forum and was told by other users to put the battery in the freezer for a while (which sounds weird, I know) and then to store them in a place that doesn't get so hot in the summer (like inside your house) and to let the battery rest  in the house for a while before charging. I was told the sensor in the battery senses the heat of the garage, even though the battery itself is not overheating.

When I did both those things, the overheating did not happen again.  Sounds odd, but that worked for me and my mower and battery  are  now 4 seasons old and still working like a champ.
(Edited)
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

  • 5,586 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Great tip Paul.  Jean, what part of the county do you live in?  I'm in the northeast (max garage gets to is 80).  never had this problem.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

  • 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I'm in Winston-Salem, NC and charge and keep all my Lithium ion batteries in my garage year round where temps range between 40s to 80s. It's well insulated including the garage door. So far, so good on battery performance.
(Edited)
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

  • 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Wow William I live in Winston as well small world