Battery not lasting as long as it once did

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Second year of the lawn mower. First year the battery would easily last to do my whole yard. This year I can only do half my yard on one charge. I think i have a problem with the battery. Please advise.
Photo of Wesley

Wesley

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,386 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Wesley, can you let us know how often you sharpen your blade?  Also, grass conditions will drastically change your run time.  Dry grass vs. wet grass.  Tall grass vs. short.  Dense grass vs thinned out.  Also, ambient temperature. 

How was your battery stored over the winter?  Where is the battery stored when not in use?  The one thing I haven't seen much about the EGO battery pack is that they are losing much performance for the 2nd year.

That's a lot, I know.  It could quickly point out if it is an environmental issue, or truly a battery issue.

Thank you

Photo of Doc

Doc

• 654 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have a lot of battery powered power tools. From about 5 different companies. Everything from Dremel, Makita, Dewalt, Snap On etc... One thing they all have in common, they are at least 7 years old, and still running on the original battery. Most of them see use multiple times a month. They are all left in the garage, hot, cold, wet doesn't matter. I don't baby them. The same should go for these batteries. Its a power tool, so you should not need to "store them" under perfect conditions. You have a 3 year warranty, and if the product is not lasting more than 35 minutes +/- then you need to return it for a warranty exchange. While cutting conditions and other factors can make a difference, the run time should be an average, not a best case scenario ideal condition. I am seeing the same thing right now, as summer is starting. The battery is not lasting more than 30 minutes. If this keeps up, we will both be in the same boat, getting a warranty exchange. 

Its a power tool, leave it in the garage like any other power tool. If it doesn't hold up like it should, warranty exchange it. You should not have to go to extreme lengths to get a battery to last for years. Its ideal yes, but you should get at least 35 minutes of use without any kind of "special attention". If not, have them replace it. Don't sweat the small stuff. It either works, like any other battery powered power tool, or it doesn't. Don't over stress anything, if its not performing let the company handle it. Thats why you have a warranty. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Doc, most of what you say is good, common sense. BUT, you also have to understand that the run time of battery operated tools varies proportionally with how hard they are worked. A run time of 30 minutes may be perfectly normal depending on the thickness of one's lawn and their mowing habits, grass growth rate etc.

If that is the case, there's nothing wrong with the tool and replacing the battery will not correct the condition.

Now it's a completely different situation if last year the tool lasted for 40 minutes, the user has done their due diligence regarding blade maintenance and cut conditions, and now the battery is only lasting 25-30 minutes a year later.

Also, Ego recommends the batteries be stored in an environment less than 80F. I'm sure exposure to temps above that are not going to cause immediate permanent damage, but at the same time one should not expect to get a maximum useful life from their packs if stored in an environment that is consistently well above that temperature.

Page 14:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/026...
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 52,960 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Blue,

I agree on the "best case scenario", but Doc has a point.  My Dewalt hand tools, with NiCad junk batteries gave me about 8 years of service, stored out in my storage shed which can reach 90 degrees or -10 degrees lol.  But of course the batteries after 3 to 4 years were about as useful as a Yugo.  :)

Photo of Doc

Doc

• 654 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Right, if you wanted to get the absolute most out of it, and yes, if I am mowing wet grass I expect it to be harder on the battery. However, the battery should last 3 years, mowing once a week without significant decrease in performance. Now that things are dry here, I should be getting 35 minutes worth of work out of the battery until January (when it finally cools off here), mowing once a week. The same goes for next year, with leaving the battery in the garage like all the other power tools. Anything past that is on me. But as a consumer, I expect it to be treated like a tool, and to last the warranty period, without any kind of special attention. 
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

I have to agree with the side that's saying that we should not have to 'baby' lawn cutting equipment.  The mower advertises 45 minutes of run time.  This should be an average.  I would expect to get no less than 40 at any time really.  No matter how I stored it and no matter how often I charged and used it. 

Having great customer service is a must but the idea is to not how to actually contact them if the product is done right. 

Photo of William A. Barker

William A. Barker

• 70 Points
I think the company should sell new batteries at cost to owners who are getting only 15 minutes of battery use each time. Great mower --- love it! However, the problem with diminished battery time is a problem the company should feel warrants compensation to the buyers who put up $499 in good faith based on a promise of 45 minutes of mowing time per charge.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
William, are you saying you only get 15 minutes out of a 4.0Ah battery in your Ego mower?
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Wesley! Thank you for your post and we are sorry to hear that the run time on your battery seems to have diminished. I located your account and see that you called in yesterday and spoke with Tracy, who did some troubleshooting with you. If you find that you are still getting the same diminished run time of mowing after following the suggestions she gave you, please give us a call back or send us an email at support@egopowerplus.com with your phone number so we can contact you directly. 
Photo of Wesley

Wesley

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
As hard as it is for me to believe, sharping the bade did the trick. I can now agian do my whole yard on one harge. Thanks to the Ego folks.
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Great to hear, Wesley! Should you have any questions or concerns in the future with any of your EGO tools, please let us know. We are here to help!