Battery missing from new mower

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Received delivery of 21" sell-propelled mower from Home Depot yesterday and when I unpacked it this morning there was a charger but no battery. I called and left a message after being on hold for a long time and have sent a support email but since I have not received a response to either thought I would post here. My yard REALLY needs to be mowed and I was extremely disappointed to receive the mower and not be able to use it.
Photo of Mike Matassa

Mike Matassa

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Julio Villanueva

Julio Villanueva

• 1,860 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Did you check outside box? I read some people had same issue, but attached to mower box there was a sticker saying battery was being shipped separately
Photo of Mike Matassa

Mike Matassa

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You are correct. I hadn't seen that. Would be nice if there was some indication as to when it might be shipped.
Thank you.
Photo of Adrian Ramirez

Adrian Ramirez

• 3,038 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I think this is a recent change, probably due to the new, more strict UNDOT transportation requirements. When I first received an Ego mower it came with the battery in the box, but I had to return it for a defectiveower and the next shipment came with the battery separate. The battery was shipped class 9 hazardous material, which is expensive.

I'm not a regulations expert, but I believe if the battery were UNDOT approved for shipping, it wouldn't need to be shipped hazardous as long as it goes ground (not sure about air shipping as that's changed recently). But I think they might be missing some protection circuitry that would allow them to pass the necessary 38.3 testing. Without that circuitry they might be limited to hazardous shipping requirements and it would be too expensive to ship the entire mower by hazardous.
Photo of Steve breech

Steve breech

• 412 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

I purchased the self propelled model on line from HomeDepot. It was a deal with free extra battery.

It arrived June 4th at the local store. When I got it there were two packages, one with the mower and the other was a charger. When I opened the mower box there was only one battery, the free 2AMP, with the 7.5Amp battery missing (needed for self propelled).

I called HD, and a nice guy said he arranged for the battery to be shipped and it would be two weeks. Three weeks later no battery, so I called again, another nice lady gave me a number for "ME" to call factory? I am desperate so I said "OK" but that number was not for the factory, so I called HD back...again. After near 1 hr. on the phone, another nice lady said she would call me back later. She did, and said she had talked to her boss and HD would send me a $400 gift certificate and for me to order my own battery on line and even gave me the HD item number (battery is $379.). No gift certificate aver arrived?

Called HD again last Friday, yet another nice lady spent a lot of time listening, then said she had a "CONTACT" at this manufacturer. She said she would get to her contact and then email when I would get the missing battery on Saturday--yesterday (she said she worked Saturday). Nothing ever came to me by my email.

I have never been involved in anything as chaotic as this deal...to buy a $599 lawn mower!

How can I get a battery to run this mower...is everyone at this manufacturer and HD just inept! I have kept the boxes and mower in my garage waiting to re-box and send them all back but I don't think anyone really cares if I send it back or not. Think how hard it will be to get anything replaced or fixed if it is a warrant item.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Steve, at any point did you write down the people's names you were dealing with at HD? That would have been helpful in the case where they promise to get back to you or give you a gift card and nothing happens.

As a temporary fix you could always just buy the 7.5Ah battery and use it while this whole mess gets straightened out, and if after 90 days you don't get it worked out you can just return the whole thing.

You can try giving Ego Customer Service a call and see if there's anything they can do for you, but I'm not sure where they fit in to the whole picture.
Photo of Steve breech

Steve breech

Mr. Blue Angel---of course this is the MFG fault.

HD is only the conduit for the purchase. EGo left the battery out to the box at the factory, and now will not step up and do the right thing. HD did not box this thing up at the factory EGo is the culprit.

Ego is a small time company trying to leverage technology into a new product, good ideas, poor follow thru. Probably won't survive the big guys when they go battery powered as they have the distribution networks to do it right. These exclusive deals at one seller should always be a wake up call to purchaser that trouble is frequently waiting in the wings and proprietary parts and fixes will be painful and expensive. I am sure these mowers are high margin items for HD and the MFG because of the exclusives, only the buyers feel the pain!

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes Ego is a new and relatively small brand—by Chervon, a very established and reputable brand who makes tons of battery powered equipment sold under many different labels.

The battery was not in the box because of changes to very recent (since April) ground shipping regulation changes. It isn't Ego's or Home Depot's fault that the battery now must ship separately in a package labeled as hazardous material. Maybe this doesn't apply to the 2.0Ah battery because it has 2/3 less cells than the 7.5Ah battery.

Ego is shipping ALL 7.5Ah batteries separately, and Home Depot is aware of this. Unfortunately their system is apparently not able to track a single SKU that ships in multiple packages with separate tracking numbers. Definitely not Ego's fault.

The battery probably arrived at the store a day or two later, but may have gotten lost since Home Depot's system can't track that your order was only partially delivered.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I can guarantee ego didnt leave the battery out. New shipping regulations caused home depot distribution to take the battery out of the box. L-ion batteries have new regulations since very recent. So hd takes out the battery, and ships the items separately to save cost. That is what your dealing with. This whole thing needs to be resolved on here or ego needs to post it on their site that batteries are shipped separately. Sorry for your experience, but its the shipping regulations that are the reason. And home depot cust service seems to be messing up here also.
Photo of Adrian Ramirez

Adrian Ramirez

Steve, I've also had very good success working with the home depot online chat people. From my experience, they have a surprising amount of authority to adjust prices and make modifications to orders. I would think they could get your issue resolved pretty quickly.
Photo of Steve breech

Steve breech

HD assigned me a case #02152446. They verified that by email 6/4/16 form Lizette Clay

I even got an email 6/20/16 from: DO NOT REPLY <noreply_occ_vendor@homedepot.com>

Saying:

The vendor has shipped the parts by UPS 1ZX071280347106221
ref:_00D50JUFY._50050mEQkV:ref

But that tracking # is for the original shipment to the local HD store.

The original conversation was with  named "MARK". The other three I did not note.

I am not going to invest anther $400 in a $599 lawnmower and hope I can get my money from "someone"...someday. I think my wife is right when she says investing in buying from unknown small time manufacturers and sellers who sell mowers as an after thought is always a risk. The name  brand tried and true mower companies are really the way to go to avoid all of this kind of endless hassle.

I am 12 years now into a Nuteon battery mower and I am sure it will carry on for a few more years. I never had to call them or beg them for parts to make the mower run or to help me in any way.

I just made big mistake in buying this mower.

Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Mine was shipped the same way to my local HD with battery separate. Willing to bet if you had shipped to your local HD the additional boxes are sitting in the shipping receiving area. I was lucky to have a person who pulled my order know how to read the shipping invoice. I also told the local HD staff that the batteries shipped separate so that probably helped!
Photo of Steve breech

Steve breech

Two boxes UPS shipped to store from factory one mower and one charge in seperate boxes, both signed for by "Jason" at the store.

I made 5th long call to HD again today and talked to another "nice" lady. It takes some explaining to get anyone to understand the problem. She said there have been a number of these battery issues with this brand mower and I was not lone. To me that means EGo is the problem.

While on the phone w/her she emailed me a $400 gift certificate to get my own battery from HD on line. She stayed with me until the email arrived as this was the 2nd attempt at this fix.

So I ordered it, paid the added $7 bucks for the sales tax...and I wait again. The site says the battery will  arrive near the 12th...8 weeks with no new mower.

We will see what happens.

Photo of Adrian Ramirez

Adrian Ramirez

That sucks that you have to wait longer, but you may end up with two 7.5 Ahr batteries if they ever find your first one. Maybe go to the store and see if the shipping guy can find your original one laying around in the back room.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Holy moley. I want that deal. 2 7.5 AH batteries. Dang you got a serious deal.
Again. Its changes in shipping regulations, not ego. It was already packaged with the battery when the HD warehouse received the mower.

Read this link.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...
Photo of Steve breech

Steve breech

No not with two - 7.5A, but with a free 2A. Got the 2A inside the mower box, no 7.5A to be found. Charger only was in separate box from mower labeled "2 of 2". So nothing was missing from shipment from factory

Free 2A would save some $$ when buying a trimmer etc

Photo of con_ritmo

con_ritmo

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.  I just wanted to mention that the exact same thing just happened to me.  I ordered a self-propelled and had it shipped to the local HomeDepot. 
Picked it up at the local HomeDepot, took it home and came to discover that there was no battery. 

1.  HomeDepot service number told me that I had to call Ego and have them ship me the missing battery. 

2.  Fortunately I then read this thread and learned that the battery comes in a separate shipment. 

3.  I immediately called the local HomeDepot and they tell me the battery would come later "in a few days".  When I inquired how I was even supposed to track that battery shipment...they put me on hold and return saying...."oh your battery is here." 
Yep, it came at the same time as the mower and was just sitting in the pickup area. 

So there you go.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,650 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
nice detective work con_ritmo
Photo of Paul Dry

Paul Dry

• 60 Points
I just picked up my mower from Home depot ( it was in stock) i did read that the battery was to ship separately , Do I have to initiate the shipment of the battery to me. or was that initiated when I bought  the mower? Not really clear on all of this 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think if it was in stock the battery is in the box.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Is the box labeled as such? 
When I received my mower (ordered via home depot and shipped to the store) the box had brightly colored label stating battery shipped separately. I had to ask the person at the counter for the battery which came in a separate box. My string trimmer the battery was in the box. 
The rules for shipping the batteries are the batteries cannot go air freight so this really depends on what route your package took to get to your or the store.
(Edited)